July 24, 2014

Here's a list of 100 iconic TV show openings (OK, maybe not 100 ... )

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 26th 2009 12:28PM
The SimpsonsPop culture lists that have 100 or more entries, whether it's a list for television, film, music, books, advertising, whatever - are too long. When you list 100 of anything, you're not really getting down to the "best" (or "worst," if that's the theme of the list), you're just giving a list of 100.

Supertremendous.com has their list of the 100 most iconic TV show intros. You can read the first 90, but I wanted to concentrate on the top ten. That list includes The Brady Bunch, The Simpsons, M*A*S*H, Knight Rider (???), and The Twilight Zone, along with the number one pick after the jump. Can you guess it before you click?

christine dix

-Cheers was much further back that i thought-who doesnt know that everybody knows your name!

Deadwood- a horse galloping through the camp as the credits play-while giving you an idea of what Deadwood looked like

Arrested Development-What ither show could display slides of the actors/characters while a jaunty ukelele tune plays in the BG

August 28 2009 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argent

when someone says 'iconic tv show openings', oneof the first things that springs to my mind is 'the rockford files' -- it's about as iconic as it gets.

and it didn't even make this list. meh.

August 26 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark "The Hobo" Watson

None of these Warner Bros. series had appeared on network TV for a brief time.

Apple's Way
Big Shots
Blue Collar TV
The Blue Knight
BrainRush
California Fever
Code R
Flatbush
Hunter (the CBS spy series, not the NBC detective series)
I'll Fly Away
Kaz
The Michael Richards Show
Out of Jimmy's Head
Pointman
Spend It Fast!
Shadow Chasers
Spend It Fast!
Spy Game
Street Smarts
Trump Card
V (NBC version)

August 26 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Mike: Wow, that's odd. I think it's interesting from a TV history standpoint but they really should have used Serling's classic opening. Thanks for pointing that out.

August 26 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

Did anyone besides me notice that the Twilight Zone opening they used was a discarded one not spoken by Rod Serling? Oldsters like me might have recognized the old newscaster Westbrook Van Voorhis.

And as long as I'm talking old - how about:

Peter Gunn
Mr. Lucky
77 Sunset strip
Outer Limits (the original)
The Wild Wild West
The Man From UNCLE (original b&w)
M Squad
Highway Patrol (best narration ever)
any Quinn Martin show
but especially
The Fugitive
The Invaders
Dan August
Streets Of San Francisco
...oh hell all of them

I'd go on, but I'm old and haven't much time left. Any of you other relics like me, feel free to add on.

August 26 2009 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

I can't beleive that Family Ties is number 50..and i didnt' look at all of them, but Gilmore Girls has a wonderful intro. But Sesame Street and like 47..come on!

August 26 2009 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barkin

An entire generation knows every word of the Fresh Prince theme song. First of all, it should be in the top ten. Second of all, it should have ranked higher then Perfect Strangers.

Maybe the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song got in one little fight, it's mama got scared, and it was sent to live with its auntie and uncle in the 95 slot.

August 26 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spooky

No Dick Van Dyke Show??

August 26 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I agree: 100 is too many.

I didn't click through the entire list, but here are a couple of cursory thoughts:

* Knight Rider is too high -- WAY too high!
* All in the Family and Cheers are too low.
* Nice to see Leave It To Beaver gettin' some props. Still one of my favorite shows of all time.

August 26 2009 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I don't see how "Star Trek" is more iconic then "The Twlight Zone", not only is the theme to "The Twilight Zone" damn near universally known, even the opening Rod Serling monolouge ("There is a fifth deminsion...) is better then the "Star Trek" one. ("Space..the final frontier...")

August 26 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply