Vampire Diaries' cross promotion could inspire more TV charities
by Danny Gallagher, posted Aug 26th 2009 6:31PM
Cross promotions are not a new concept to TV heads, but this one cooked up by the folks behind the CW's Vampire Diaries deserves a Peabody Award. As Brad mentioned earlier today, The Vampire Diaries is being cross-promoted with the American Red Cross in which the show is hosting its own blood drive.
What a great idea and a great cause! Just think of the other charitable promotions this will inspire other shows to tackle.
- The folks from Top Gear could pick up where "Cash for Clunkers" left off with a "Crash for Clunkers," in which viewers donate their old vehicles to be destroyed on the show. American cars immediately jump to the front of the line.
- Showtime, in association with Dexter, starts a "Knives for Guns" program.
- Two and a Half Men's Charlie Sheen teams up with Goodwill to clothe the world's poor with his warehouse of used bowling shirts.
- The producers of Jon and Kate Plus 8 make a pact with Amnesty International to ensure the safety and mental well-being of children everywhere by making sure that Jon and Kate Gosselin never become parents again.
- The folks behind MTV's Jackass sponsor an initiative to increase literacy.
- American Idol makes a sizable donation to the Royal National Institute for Deaf People.
- The producers of Oxygen's Dance Your Ass Off start a charity that treats people suffering from "Detached Ass Syndrome".
- The people behind Friday Night Lights fund a charity to help athletes dealing with injuries, financial hardships and other tragedies caused by participating in the XFL.
- The creators of The Hills start the world's first "Douchebag Rehabilitation Center."