September 14, 2014

Did you watch Michael and Michael Have Issues?

by Nick Zaino, posted Aug 27th 2009 3:01PM
Michael and Michael Have IssuesLast night was the season finale of Michael & Michael Have Issues on Comedy Central. Which means fans of the show can look forward either to its second season or its quiet death. With rare exceptions (like Important Things with Demetri Martin), shows come and go on Comedy Central with little fanfare. Mind of Mencia and Lewis Black's Root of All Evil weren't renewed, but their cancellations were never really announced, just mentioned by the players on the shows themselves.

So here's your chance to weigh in. Did you like MMHI? Were you one of the fans who attended the "blarties" and "twarties" (blog parties and twitter parties)? Did you pick up The State on DVD and watch for nostalgia? What did you think of the sketch show within a show format?

I enjoyed the show, and I've usually enjoyed Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black. And I think the format offers some flexibility, allowing the Michaels to do whatever kind of sketches they want within what is basically the framework of a sitcom about people working on a sketch show. But, as with the constant outlandishness of Stella, I can see the theme of the friction between Showalter and Michael Ian Black being very hard to maintain over multiple seasons.

Curb You Enthusiasm managed to keep up the tension over the seasons, but if MMHI hopes to do something similar, the other characters on the show will need to better developed in season two as foils for the Michaels. I'd like to see Rob Huebel and Jon Benjamin return as the downstairs rivals from another sketch show. Both are fun to watch and strong enough to compete for your attention when they're onscreen with the Michaels.

Fans, post your ideas for the show, whether you watched every week, if you're looking forward to another season.

Brandon Duncan

What's with the naysaying surrounding Michael and Michael? Maybe the duo's mutual combativeness has been rubbing off on their viewers?...The show is much funnier even than it needs to be - with the exception of mainstays Stewart and Colbert, CC is starved of (actually, not purportedly) funny original programming. I admit that not every sketch and segment on the show is a gut buster, but the exceedingly charming, idiosyncratic Michaels are enough of a presence to push the show past its weaker moments. Their absurdity is free of the tedious preciousness of, say, Demetri Martin.

We need a second season.

August 28 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
taxedToDeath

This show has quickly become my favorite show on TV! I especially loved the scene where the guy tells M&M that his girlfriend wanted him to p33 on her! Their reaction was priceless!!! Please bring this show back!!!

(You want this door left open?)

August 28 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaime

MMHI was great -- I really looked forward to it every week. Bob the Quiet Weatherman slayed me, as did the bunny-stomping. Plus the Michaels themselves and their adorable I'm-a-big-jealous-kid stuff was hilarious. Honestly, it never got old. In fact I often found myself wanting more at the end of each episode. If anything, make it longer! And of course, bring it back :)

August 28 2009 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I thought it was awesome! I hope they renew it!

August 27 2009 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

I thought it was a pretty solid effort for a short run series like that. Always liked both Micheals' to begin with and their chemistry worked particularly well. Liked some of the extra edginess that got through (the fork sketch, pee breakup, etc). It did seem like the season finale was the weakest of the episodes. I really liked all the social media tie-ins (especially before the show aired with twitpics from the filming of episodes). That really connected me with the show even more...

August 27 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R

Absolutely loved it. Everyone I know that watched it enjoyed it. It would be foolish for CC to not renew this one. There's a market for this type of humor. Check out MIB's twitter account, the million plus followers he has, most of them, if not all of them, are huge fans of the show and their unique brand of comedy. Many comedians have tried to duplicate what these guys have been doing, going back to The State. They are, however, one of a kind. Both are witty, brilliant, and hilarious. This show can be a huge hit for CC if they don't snap it off - the way they did Stella.

August 27 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to R's comment
C

Absolutely agreed! It's so refreshing to see something like this on tv among all the useless crap that is offered (on CC and elsewhere).

August 28 2009 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazza

I watched the first episode, but didn't like it. Maybe laughed out loud, maybe once. And I really liked Stella

August 27 2009 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob LeMent

I like Micheal but really love Michael, I think they can keep up the issues, shouldn't be hard, there are always issues to explore. Here's hoping that they don't cancel the good Michael at the very least.

August 27 2009 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I actually liked it. I liked the sketches, they reminded me of The State and I thought the two Michaels had good chemistry. Didn't much care for the others on the show though.

August 27 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Axel Harris

I liked the concept a lot, but the sketches around the frame story were really hit and miss.

August 27 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Axel Harris's comment
Evadne

Yeah, agreed. The frame story was much funnier than the sketches. The problem is that without the sketches the show is basically a less funny (though still funny) version of 30 Rock.

September 07 2009 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply