Kristin Chenoweth on board as American Idol guest judge

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 27th 2009 10:04PM
pushing_daisies_kristin_chenoweth
Could the departure of Paula Abdul from American Idol actually result in a revitalization and renewal of the Fox monster hit? I ask that question because in the past couple of days, guest judges have been announced to sit in Paula's place and I'm absolutely psyched by the choices. The other day it was How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris. Today, Pushing Daisies' Kristin Chenoweth has been snagged as an American Idol guest judge. She's currently filming auditions in Orlando, Florida.

This is not just great news, it's fun and exciting, too. Kristin is absolutely adorable and hilarious. Having interviewed her, I found her completely delightful and engaging. She's also a performer with vast experience in music, theater, film and TV. I mean it. Just take a look at just some of her credits (and they don't include her upcoming guest role on the new Fox comedy/musical Glee:

TV movies: Annie, The Music Man
TV series: The West Wing, Pushing Daisies, Kristin
Broadway shows: You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (Tony award), Wicked
Movies: Four Christmases, Bewitched
Records: Let Yourself Go, A Lovely Way To Spend Christmas

Like I said regarding Neil, Kristin brings a world of experience to the judge's chair. She's been through auditions and knows what it takes to sing when the music starts and you have to make it happen. She's also funny. I don't expect her to offer commentary that's bland or pedestrian.

So, is it possible that Paula's departure is actually energizing the American Idol producers to think outside the box. Tell us what you think by taking this TV Squad poll:

What do you think of the guest judges chosen to sit in Paula's chair?
I'm loving the choices they're making115 (77.7%)
I'm happy but worried about too much change5 (3.4%)
I don't like it at all because I want Paula back19 (12.8%)
I don't know what to think9 (6.1%)

Heather

Drat. Another reason to watch that show.

August 28 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

I really can't stand her. Another reason not to watch AI.

August 28 2009 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

It will be interesting to see how Chenoweth "judges" the contestants, and considering the judges are usually pretty condescending to any contestant who sounds too "broadway," I wonder how their perceptions will differ.

August 28 2009 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

As much as I am in love with Kristin I am still sad to see Paula gone. Sure, she was a mess. But she balanced out that crew very well.

August 28 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

still hoping Simon calls in a fellow Brit, singer/actress Lulu (to sir, with love) who was a mentor one season as a guest judge ALSO would be cool to have Linda Ronstadt and one of the B-52 girls as a guest judge

August 28 2009 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbameister33

That's a very beautiful woman.

August 27 2009 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

I love Kristin! I hate American Idol.

August 27 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FutureOutlaw

I never cared for the show, even hated it a bit. But I'm willing to watch it a bit now because these are some great choices.

August 27 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply