September 20, 2014

Things I Hate About TV: "online web sites"

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 27th 2009 8:10PM
Internet '96There are many phrases I hear on the news and in commercials that I find annoying, painful, and simply illogical. This is one of the worst offenders.

I was watching a commercial today for a bank and the woman in the commercial said that the bank was "the number one online banking web site." Which got me wondering: what's the number one banking web site that's not online?

I've heard this kind of phrase used in other commercials, on many news broadcasts, and even on dramas and sitcoms. I don't know why this continues to be done. This is 2009, it's not 1996 anymore, with most of the population not even online and not sure of the terminology. Trust me, if someone is interested in doing their banking online, they already know it's a web site. (Another phrase I've heard is "internet web site," which irritates me too.)

I mean, if we're going to keep saying "online web sites," that means we have to also say "fictional novels," "male men," and "senior old people."

C.A.

Fakebanksavingsandloan.org, best offline banking website ever!

August 31 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
naila

Many banking sites just show advertisement, and their services.
naila

August 28 2009 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
naila

If someone is interested in doing their banking online, they already know it's a web site,but many sites just boring and waste of time.

August 28 2009 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Elizabeth: no hyphen is needed. Commercials and news shows always use the words "online" and "web site" in the same sentence as I explained above, regardless of what the business is. They should have just said it was "number one for online banking" or "you can do your banking on our site" or something similar. No need for both phrases.

August 27 2009 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Bob Sassone's comment
Bill

^^^ what she said

August 27 2009 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

It's actually an online-banking website, ie, a website for online banking (this is why proper hyphenization is so important). They're emphasizing that the banking is online, not the website. Many banks have websites but don't offer online banking, or have crappy websites where the online banking is difficult to navigate.

August 27 2009 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Elizabeth's comment
BC McKinney

Punctuation and spelling are not required skill sets for bloggers, thus Bob's confusion is understandable.

August 27 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply