July 22, 2014

David Blue on the realistic tone of Syfy's Stargate Universe

by Mike Moody, posted Aug 28th 2009 2:29PM
syfy david blue stargate universeI'm eagerly anticipating the Oct. 2 premiere of Syfy's Stargate Universe, the third show from the popular sci-fi adventure franchise. We've all read the reports about Universe being "darker" and more "serious" than its predecessors, Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, but star David Blue has a slightly different perspective on the show.

In a recent interview with SciFi Wire, the Universe cast member said the show is "not as much darker as it is more real." Blue said the characters on Universe are less like characters in a sci-fi epic and more like real people dealing with an extraordinary crisis.

"You can say 'darker,' because in some ways it is, ... but when you really get down to it, it's like everyday life. That's kind of what I like about it," he said.

Blue is a big fan of the Stargate franchise and has seen every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis, leading Universe co-creator Brad Wright to joke that the actor has become a "technical advisor" on the show. Blue said his love for the franchise helped inform his character, Eli Wallace, who is experiencing the wonders of gate and space travel for the first time. "When you see on Eli's face that he's really excited about the gate, that's actually me," he said.

I like that Blue is a big Stargate geek and is showing reverence for the older shows. I know a lot of fans are worried that Universe will be all drama (i.e. talk) and no action and adventure, but this is Stargate we're talking about – one of the most popular action-adventure franchises out there. What Blue is saying here, the show is about normal people thrust into extraordinary circumstances, doesn't sound too different from what we've seen in previous Stargate shows.

What do you think, folks? Will the edgier Universe trade all the action-adventure for character drama, or will it deliver a good combination of the two?

Peg

I am hooked already. I love the Eli character - probably the best. It is good to see one of us sci-fi geeks on the screen and doing such a great job. I'm looking forward to see how the writers will develop the characters/plot.

October 27 2009 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

I was a huge fan of SGA (and SG-1 later) so I was very taken back when it was canceled but I am very excited about Universe, the promos look really good.

It's still Stargate so of course I'm going to love it. I also find it irrational deciding not to watch a show before you give it a chance.

August 28 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jennifer's comment
Chris

This is the internet. Irrational responses to limited information are par for the course.

October 03 2009 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debra_K

I believe that SGU will provide a nice combination of action, adventure, and HUMOR. The writing staff is almost entirely the same as that of SGA and SG-1, so I believe that (in spite of the creators' attempt to make it edgier and darker) it will turn out quite well.

I'll most definitely be tuning in on October 2nd for the premiere, and anticipate getting hooked right off the bat. Should it fail to amuse me, I'll give it one more chance, then go back to rewatching my SGA and SG-1 DVDs!

August 28 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I was an avid SGA fan - loved McKay. I then went back and caught up on all of the SG1 and reallly enjoyed that show. I was just so taken aback when they canceled SGA to make Universe that I never watched any more SGA episodes after the cancellation and will not watch Universe. Call it sour grapes but they really ticked me off.

August 28 2009 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply