October 1, 2014

After Ryan Jenkins mess, VH1's president talks of a different direction

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 28th 2009 1:03PM
Megan Wants a MillionaireI paraphrased that title, but you'll see what I mean. And it's damage control more than dissatisfaction with what VH1 has become, considering ratings are higher than ever. Still, after the murder/suicide of one of their reality show participants, something had to be said. So Tom Calderone, the president of VH1, told the LA Times that the network doesn't want to be known for infinite spin-offs of their Flavor of Love and Surreal Life types of shows. Which means skanks and hos.

Which is exactly what they're known for. Before this Megan Wants a Millionaire/I Love Money debacle, they had no problem with it. Ratings were up, proving that there are people out there who will tune into all those atrocities to the senses.

Calderone says he'd rather see more "redemptive" programming, like The T.O. Show. In a nutshell, he's horrified about all the drama that has unfolded around Ryan Jenkins, and even more horrified that VH1 is so closely associated with it. So he needs to distance himself and his network from it as quickly as possible. Are you buying it?

[via Reality Blurred]

Edetr

I wonder whats going on with Megan and how is she taking this mess. After all it has affected her plans to be a big reality star. Poor Megan!

November 09 2009 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edetr

I would also like to know who won. Also what are they going to do about the I Love Money show? Will they still pay the money to the winner now that the show is not being aired and they are not getting money from sponsors. They should let us at least have the option of watching the show on the iternet.

November 09 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

i think she DID already pick him and he was the winner of the show. he probably asked her right away to marry him so he could get that green card he stated he so desperately wanted. megan probably said no so ryan moved on to find another women willing to marry him so quickly. i kno they said they took the show off the air because vh1 doesnt want to be associated with the situation but i dont agree......its probably off the air because RYAN was the winner. thats why megan is so distraught.

August 29 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to laura's comment
girlkm69

i really wanted to see who picked i wish they would let us know who she picked

September 02 2009 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

VH1 made a big mistake not renewing The Surreal Life, instead creating dating shows around contestants of dating shows that starred REAL (D-list) celebrities.

I Love Money is/was clearly VH1's answer to the Real World / Road Rules challenge.

How about an MTV vs VH1 challenge?

August 29 2009 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I'm still a fan of I Love Money..

August 28 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I'm not buying into that reasoning either. It is damage control but if it finally takes all that skank and ho stuff off the screen, I'll jump for joy. Who the hell screened those contestants?

August 28 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce N.'s comment
cfox17

I agree about the screening process - if they are ending up with these psycho contestants - can you imagine if Megan had selected this guy and she had been the one who had been injured or killed? What a PR nightmare for VH1 then. They really need to rethink their programming. "For the Love of Ray J" had to send a girl home because she was thinking about killing the other girls in the house! They need to have a better psychological evaluation of these people.

August 29 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheLoneIguana

I watched VH1 for the first time in ages recently- only because they were running the Beatles Anthology. Most everything else is junk. (Music on VH1? Who'd have thought?)

Although I do tend to get sucked into those "I love the x0's" and one-hit-wonder-countdown shows.

August 28 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pumapayam

I am not buying it.

I find myself turning off or changing the channel more often with these celebdoc reality shows, rather than the dating/competition reality shows.

None interest me. I like watching shows with eliminations.

August 28 2009 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply