July 25, 2014

Jenna Hager (nee Bush) to join The Today Show

by Brad Trechak, posted Aug 30th 2009 6:00PM
Jenna HagerJenna Hager, the daughter of former President George W. Bush, will be joining the Today show as a part-time correspondent on issues such as education. Hopefully this won't interfere with her other job as a schoolteacher in Maryland. Since the job is only slated for about once a month, I don't think her second job will interfere with her day job quite as much as my second job as a freelance writer interferes with mine.

I just wonder if Jenna's lineage has anything to do with this new part-time job of hers. Granted she's authored two books by the age of 27, but I have to ask if anybody with a little more experience could have taken the Today show job.

Of course this could turn into a full-time gig for her which means she would have to quit her teaching job and kiss her tenure goodbye (unless she returned to teaching later on and started all over again). How would she survive if that happened? Oh yeah, she's a Bush.

rick cokely

I realize her father is a different person but most teachers I know think No Child Left Behind is the worst piece of education legislation ever enacted. I doubt that Jenna will come out against it so it just leads me to believe that her "education reporting" will just be a shill for NCLB and it won't really confront the real issues with education - such as lack of funding due to NCLB, insufficient special education curriculum and a severe lack of technology in the classrooms.

Also she's only been a teacher for what, two years? I think this has more to do with her last name than it does with her "experience." How unfortunate.

August 31 2009 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rick cokely's comment
JD

Before you try to blame Bush and his offspring for NCLB. Just remember the one placed in the dirt this past weekend was the Author of that Bill.

And instead of posting a website about TV, sounds like you should call Dionna Warick and restart Psychic Friends Network

August 31 2009 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Folks, I deleted the comment by "Dumbocrats" and all the responses underneath. Mr. Crats went way, way off topic with his comment, and off-topic comments are not allowed here. The responses got deleted because w/o Mr. Crats' original comment, no one would know what they were referring to.

So, if you responded to Mr. Crats with comments relevant to this post, I'm asking you to repost that part of your response. Thanks.

August 31 2009 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miles

I have no problems with President Bush's family or kids. As far as I can tell they're never done anything to ruin someone's life. Have fun and don't suck.

August 30 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jkmkay

Though I'm no fan of President Bush. His daughter certainly should be able to cash in on her name. The Kennedy family has been doing it for decades. In fact they've made it an art form.

August 30 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Before all the snide comments begin, I want to be first to wish Jenna all good luck her new position. Who knew that this beautiful wild child would settle down to to tend to our youngest citizens? I guess most of us grow up sometime.

August 30 2009 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply