October 23, 2014

Leno's new show to feature musical guest mashups

by Mike Moody, posted Aug 30th 2009 10:22AM
eric clapton jay leno showAnyone out there genuinely looking forward to The Jay Leno Show? Anyone?

Like most Squadders, I'm not too thrilled with NBC's decision to hand over the nightly 10 p.m. timeslot to Leno, leaving less room on the sked for scripted dramas. The thought of watching Leno's incredibly bland stand-up routine and more "Jaywalking" segments in prime time doesn't really appeal to me. But I might just tune in, at least for a few minutes every night, to check out the show's musical segments.

Leno says he plans to showcase interesting musical groupings when the show kicks off Sept. 14. Up first will be Jay-Z with superstars Rihanna and Kanye West. On Sept. 17, Leno will feature guitar legend Eric Clapton performing with Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers. Clapton and Hornsby will perform "Space is the Place," a song from Hornsby's new album.

Leno's musical segments will probably only feature mainstream artists and hitmakers – I don't think we'll see people like Mos Def and The Silversun Pickups sharing NBC's stage anytime soon – but I'm looking forward to seeing who else gets booked to perform together.

Preston

We live in a current pop music trend of collaborations and Jay Leno wants to tap on that. It brings two or more music genres in the same performances. He couldn't do those kinds of liberties on the Tonight Show because of their someone one-dimensional strict, conservative format. Jay-Z, Rihanna and Kanye West is an interesting pairing. How about a producers performance, like pairing Christopher Stewart, John Shanks, Max Martin, Greg Wells, Pharrell of the Neptunes, Sean Garrett, Eric Hudson, Howard Benson and Brian Kennedy doing a live band jam session clashing all their mainstream sounds together on the same stage for one song? That would be hot! We've heard their hit making studio stuff for artists--now let's hear them get their guitars, keyboards, drums together and ROCK it for us on Jay Leno's stage!

September 24 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

I think Jay's show might just turn out to be "Rosie O' Donnell Thanksgiving Special" bad.

September 06 2009 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The musical acts were the only thing I never watched on the Tonight show.
It was good that they were at the end so I could turn the show off early.
I hope he puts them on the end of the new show.

August 31 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Maybe they should "mash up" Leno with someone who's funny.

August 31 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Actually, I am very much looking forward to this show. I think Jay is very entertaining and I was never able to stay up to see him at 10:30, but 9:00 I can handle.
It's better than another doctor, lawyer, cop or news show.

August 30 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

ooh I can imagine now a duet between Fred Schneider of the B-52's and Linda Ronstadt I guess that would pull me away from a 1 hour scripted drama at 10 pm on ABC or CBS ,,,,,,,,,, NOT ! ! !

August 30 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

Yawn, another anti-Leno post. I almost, repeat, almost hope he fails just so you whiners will see what NBC puts in its place. The days of spending millions on shows few people will watch is over. The only thing you'll get in its place will be more Dateline or reality shows.

August 30 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply