April 16, 2014

Preview of the Weeds finale - Is it time for the series to end?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 30th 2009 11:02AM
Weeds - Season 5 finaleThe season five finale of Weeds, "All About My Mom," is coming up Monday night at 10 PM ET/PT on Showtime. Kevin Nealon will be hosting the finale to promote his upcoming comedy special, Kevin Nealon: Now Hear Me Out, which airs Friday, Sept. 4, at 9:30 PM ET/PT on Showtime. Get a sneak peek here.

While I haven't been all that crazy about this season of Weeds, there have been a few standout episodes, and I'll miss the show. Something about the crazy life of Nancy Botwin and her clan continues to draw me in, even during what I consider the weaker seasons.

Throughout season five, TV Squad readers have been debating whether the show is still good, or whether it should take its final bow. After "Ducks & Tigers," Collin said, "It is time to cancel this disaster. Whoever thinks this is a comedy should have their head examined." After "Distinctive Horn," however, Matthew Fleigle noted, "So far this has been one of the best seasons of Weeds."

And after last week's episode, "Glue," Dave was quite adamant in his comments, saying, "You people who think that the show has to be funny really have to look back at the first season. There was a lot of serious stuff there and the reason why most people kept watching was not for the comedy, but for the progression of Nancy's drug business and how she continued to dig deeper and deeper into the hole of drug dealing."

And, oh yeah, Dave also called me "one of the most idiotic reviewers around" and then topped it off by saying I'm "dim-witted" and "dumb," and then he got mean!

In all seriousness, though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'd love to hear yours. Here are a few sneak peeks at Monday's finale, and please leave your thoughts about Weeds in the comments below. Do you think the show has run its course? Or is there still some life left in it?

Nancy switches to baby formula:

Not as magical as Esteban:

Margaret

Interesting article! I work as a video editor and very often deal with moovie, TV show! I download dy torrent search engine http://www.picktorrent.com some interest information about people who create video! You can also find many films here

November 19 2009 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Weeds rocks n yeah mayb they have changed the direction of it. But face people you can't sell "weed" forever. They had to develop this character n I think it's been great. I love the show n it never disappoints. It's hilarious!

September 08 2009 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalie

Over the past two months I re-watched each season back to back on DVD, and I can admit that I loved this season. The show has grown, and the dark humour that was there in the first season, is still there in this latest season. Season 5 finale was brilliant! Can't wait for season 6!!!

September 02 2009 at 4:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

Weeds had a great mix of drama and funny human moments in its' earlier seasons. To say it's just a sitcom now and not worthy of thoughtful commentary is a testament to how far it has fallen.
This season of Weeds was like 2 different shows operating in the same 1/2 hour time slot. On the one hand, we had a Mexican telenova, "As My Head Spins" It involved a 'love triangle' between pregnant Nancy Botwin, her druglord sexfriend and her aimless brother-in-law. At times it was amusing but the characters kept making 180 degree personality changes between episodes. My guess as to why? The writers kept changing the direction of the story throughout the season. Still there were a lot of good, well-written moments between characters on this side of the show.
But then we had a medical pot store spin-off show called "Super! Happy!! Lucky!!!" with Silas as the straight man and doug as the stoned idiot. Celia as the pathetic bitch and Doug as her pathetic ex-husband. No detailed character descriptions are needed here. They were all 1-note characters doing goofy things. Oh well. I still enjoyed this season and I'll watch next season too. I just think the writers are more talented than some of the material they delivered this year would have you think.

August 31 2009 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Come down "to Earth", damn this lack of comment editing.

August 31 2009 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

I tried watching Weeds the from beginning but those episodes were boring. I have been enjoying the last 2 season because there is less glorification of weed and just plane craziness.

August 30 2009 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Man's comment
bruce

If you are a loyal soldier in the drug war and have a problem with "glorification of weed" then you should be watching something else out of general principle.

And aside from the fact that in the world of "Weeds" people enjoy using marijuana (woah!), there is no glorification. Kevin Nealon's character Doug Wilson is constantly fucking up everything in his life because he's always stoned, Nancy's drug dealing keeps her and her children in constant trouble, and more than one person has been murdered. So if you consider this "marijuana glorification" you have a very skewed sense of things.

August 30 2009 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Come down Bruce it is just a sitcom. They try to pass it off as a drama but it's not, just like passing Nurse Jackie as more complex then a druggie.

Funny is funny and Weeds is funny.

August 31 2009 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Oh... and Dean Hoades dressed up as a black guy in black-face is the best example yet of how horrible and stupid this season of Weeds is. No, I was not offended at the least. Nothing offensive about it. It is simply the best singular example of how ridiculously stupid the show has become.

Too late to end the show while it's on top. Now they need to end it before it becomes as bad as a network reality show. "Celebrity Checkers" is more entertaining than this crap. Did Jenji Kohan suffer some sort of brain trauma? If so, does she have unlimited freedom as showrunner to do whatever she wants with Weeds, even if it means utterly destroying it and making a mockery of all the characters (Celia dying her hair to "be" Nancy)? Screw you Jenji.... unless it is brain damage that isn't your fault.

August 30 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

You people are all setting up a false test for whether Weeds is good, that is ... is it funny or not funny. That doesn't matter. Weeds has always been more of a drama than a pure comedy, though there have always been funny moments here and there. It's NOT a sitcom. It can be great and unfunny at the same time. As noted, season 1 was more serious than hilarious.

So whether Weeds is funny or not funny is NOT THE QUESTION to be asked to determine whether it should be cancelled. Is it entertaining? Is it cleverly written? Good plots and story lines? Good characters? Consistency?

This season has been HORRIBLE and if you say "no it's great!" you're in denial. NOBODY who has watched and enjoyed Weeds from the beginning could possibly like the current season (let alone think it's the best ever).

The only thing that's debatable is whether the new intros are better than the former "Little Boxes" song. I liked last season where each episode had a different person singing "Little Boxes" in a different musical style. Reasonable people can differ on this. Reasonable people CANNOT differ on how crappy this season of Weeds has been. And judging from the preview, the finale is going to be just as asinine, pointless, forced, unfunny, illogical, and pointless as the fecal matter that preceded it. Let's hope this is the series finale rather than the season finale. No show is better than a crappy show.

Frankly, I'd be thrilled if Nancy woke up in her bed back in Agrestic because Conrad and Haylia are knocking on her front door, and everything from the town burning down up to where we are now was just a bad (really bad) dream caused by some bad pot she smoked. And then start over. Redo. Mulligan. I'd welcome that.

And unless that happens, I will not be watching Season 6 of Weeds (if there is one).

August 30 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miles

Weeds is starting to remind me of the last couple of seasons of Boston Legal, where they just went balls out. Every situation is so far from reality its hard to just roll with it,but at the same time its hilarious.

Andy said there's only one season left, so maybe that's why the writers are just going berserk and letting everything fly. I don't mind if this is basically the final season though.

August 30 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Miles's comment
Justin

Boston Legal mocked ABC, which was friggen awesome. They mocked the way that networks worked, in a kind of self-deprecating way... I think I can honestly say, the last two seasons of BL were the best of the entire series.

August 31 2009 at 5:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

There's only one season left, so it's kind of silly to be talking about this now. Just let it play out.

August 30 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andy's comment
mrliparota

Has it been announced that season six is the last? My understanding was just that they ordered seasons five and six together, not necessarily to conclude the series.

August 30 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply