September 18, 2014

Mad Men renewed for fourth season

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 1st 2009 3:28PM
mad_men_group_croppedThis should come as no surprise to even the most casual of TV Squad readers. Mad Men has been picked up for a fourth season, assuring that Matthew Weiner's engrossing and demanding tale of Don Draper and the people at Sterling Cooper will be played out for at least another year.

When a show like Mad Men comes along, not unlike The Sopranos in quality and pop culture appeal, the question usually isn't whether the network will stand behind it for the duration, but whether or not the creative team envisions a long run.

This is especially true in the two cases I pointed out, because on HBO The Sopranos didn't need a huge audience, in the same way AMC doesn't expect Mad Men to reach double digits in the millions of viewers it captures. Currently, AMC is dancing a jig over 4.5 million viewers -- a record for that network -- but realistically that's a number that would put Mad Men in jeopardy on one of the big four.

AMC has literally changed its image thanks to Mad Men (and to a lesser extent Breaking Bad). That alone has made it a landmark accomplishment. How many shows have ever altered the image of an entire network, especially a network that's been around for a while?

Frankly, I think all Mad Men fans should be grateful that the show is on AMC. Sure, we have to endure some commercials, but the network tries to minimize the interruptions by being creative with the bumpers and such. Also, judging by the terrific marketing campaign mounted prior to the third season launch, AMC clearly believes in Mad Men and will stick with it for the duration.

C.D.

My Grandmother favorite show was " The Guiding Light" ..... She would tell us " Memaw has to watch her stories"
She died in 1981 ...... I miss her.... I can still remember what she smelled like.. Faberge' bath power...

C.D. @ Austin Tejas

November 09 2009 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kiko

Just found MAD MEN last week and just finished catching up on both Seasons 1 and 2, and 3 up-to-date. It's "That's 70's Show" for grown-ups, and "Sex in the City" for those who think they invented sex--in the city. Those who us who lived the 70's, but remember enough of the 60's can really appreciate this way back machine to enjoy the historical references and views of how it was. I was Sally's age back then.

September 15 2009 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cozy

Been there, done that, just another daytime soaper gone P.M.

September 01 2009 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie

im very sad to learn that guiding light is really going off.i love that soap!!!! i will miss the show forever.will we ever know how it all ends??

September 01 2009 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I am not a Mad Men fan. I've tried to get involved but it doesn't make me hunger for more. But, Breaking Bad, yep, that's a keeper. It is so unusual for a TV program, big-boy subject matter, innovative filming and has talented but quirky actors in major roles, so very rare these days, that is absolutely makes me want to see more. I hate the ordinary same-o-same-o televison. Breaking Bad breaks the curse and has set new and higher levels for a regualr TV programme. Good going AMC.

September 01 2009 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie

is guiding light being cancelled????

September 01 2009 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan_Screenplays

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I can't decide if I still want Mad Men to kill in the ratings, or just stay as an acquired taste by those superior-minded viewers. ;-)

September 01 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

Isn't Madmen planned for a five season arc? I just hope that they don't go through any more foolishness with Matthew Weiner's contract aain like they did this year.

September 01 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply