December 22, 2014

Megan Mullally gets ready to Party Down

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 2nd 2009 7:01PM
megan mullallyNow this is some casting news I can get behind. After the disastrous In the Motherhood, Megan Mullally is returning to television-- on a show that's actually funny! Mullally is set to join the cast of the amazing Party Down, a Starz original from Veronica Mars creator, Rob Thomas.

Mullally is replacing Jane Lynch, whose role as Sue Sylvester on Glee has been bumped up from recurring character to series regular. She plays "Lydia Dunfree, who leaves her small town and her failed marriage to help her 13-year-old daughter Escapade achieve her dream of becoming an actress. In addition to working as a cater-waiter for Party Down, Lydia is looking for Mr. Right."

For those of you who have never seen Party Down, (which, let's be honest: is probably most of you, since not a lot of people have Starz) it's definitely worth checking out. I just saw the first season on DVD, and it has quickly become one of my favorite comedies on television. Plus, for all of you Veronica Mars fans, there's generally a VM cameo in every episode, in addition to stars, Ryan Hansen and Ken Marino. Party Down is funny and bawdy, and Miss Mullally is going to be a perfect fit.

For those of you who have no idea what this show is, or for Veronica Mars fans who want to see what would have happened if Logan and Meg got married, here's a clip from the first season:

anomaly5x

This sucks. Megan is fantastic, I was hoping she would show up on something new and good. But not on a Starz series that is a pay channel. Best wishes.

September 03 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Poor Megan, can't find a decent comedy role in network tv, or first-tier cable so she washes out to a backfill role on the most obscure movie channel. I can just imagine THAT conversation between her and her agent. If this doesn't work out she's bound to show up on some celeb-reality show, ugh.

September 03 2009 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

In the motherhood was the worst show I've ever seen. I erased my season subscription off my DVR midpilot. So bad.

September 02 2009 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

You're kidding, right? You think Party Down is funny? Someone whose opinion I used to trust told me it was funny, so I watched the pilot. Pure torture.
I am looking forward to Glee, however. That pilot I enjoyed.

September 02 2009 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
alex

Torture? I'll admit the first episode didn't inspire confidence but it wasn't that bad. Takes til the third or fourth for the show to hit its stride though. Anyway, mulally should probably play well against Ken Marino.

September 02 2009 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Rogus

I love Party Down. Unfortunately Jane Lynch was my favorite part and I never really got Megan Mullally. Hopefully the rest of the cast of Party Down will deliver and Glee will surprise me (I didn't like the pilot and Lynch was underused).

September 02 2009 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply