September 21, 2014

New At The Movies promo introduces new hosts, dumps on the old ones

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 3rd 2009 3:27PM
I'm glad that At The Movies has new hosts. The two Bens just didn't work out. The new hosts in the reviewing chairs are A.O. Scott from The New York Times and Michael Phillips from The Chicago Tribune, both of whom filled in for Roger Ebert several times. Here's a preview where the two critics tell us about themselves.

Funny how the announcer says that there will be "serious reviews" by "serious journalists." I'm taking that as a dig at Ben and Ben. It premieres this weekend.

Julie D

I was thrilled to see new hosts and two that I enjoyed watching when they were part of the many who substituted for Roger Ebert. Last year, Ben Lyons, the grinning fool, was so disappointing. I hope Scott and and Phillips are permanent.

September 14 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WizardBoy

ABC-12 in Milwaukee carries the show in the middle of Sunday night -- well after the weekend movies! ugh. And sometimes it comes on later than scheduled.

Glad to see the new hosts -- REAL critics.

Ben and Ben were crap.

September 07 2009 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pen

i tuned in today and was pleasantly surprised to find new hosts on the show. They are more pleasant than the most recent ones; less "edgty" and hip; more like the comfy old Siskel and Ebert team.

September 06 2009 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I think this is GREAT and I hope so much that the show succeeds with these two as the critics. Unlike the last two they are REAL critics with REAL things to say about film and I think their opinions will actually carry weight with a viewer much more so than the two Bens.

My only wish is that someone else other than Fox 5 here in NYC would carry the show because as it is now, it NEVER comes on because it's always getting pre-empted on Saturday evenings by stupid baseball. With the two Bens I never really cared but now I most definitely will. Move the show!

September 04 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackson

I feel like this show will be achingly beautiful.

September 03 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Hey, it's gonna be "a three way"

September 03 2009 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bubbalove

Lyons & "Mank" had zero chemistry. I always got the impression that Mankiewicz wanted to smack Lyons during half his reviews, whether he agreed with him or not. Anyone else remember early in their tenure the "Critics Corner" segment? I knew this team was doomed from the start. Siskel & Ebert were lightning in a bottle. They've had a good run trying to continue the format after first losing Siskel, but now without Ebert? Turn out the lights, and lock the door. It's time this show was put out to pasture...

PS- Please, please, please when this team fails, for the love of God, do not bring on Robert Wilonsky as one of the hosts. I beg of you!!! I could barely tolerate Lyons goofy hipster attitude, but add Wilonsky's smarm on top of it? My eyes are bleeding just thinking about it...

September 03 2009 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

Stick a fork in "At the Movies" -- it's done.

September 03 2009 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S

Gotta love a film critic who only sees 5 films at Sundance. But for me, Lyons wasn't half as bad as Mankiewicz.

September 03 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply