July 31, 2014

Don't count on Fox giving up Glee for Obama

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 4th 2009 10:08AM
President_ObamaThe only way Fox will air President Obama's prime time address next Wednesday will be if he joins the glee club. No, seriously, if the Prez could sing or dance with the kids at McKinley High School on the new Fox series, Glee, he'd have a better chance of getting air time than he does as the Commander in Chief. Fox is not expected to show President Obama's address to Congress.

Fox has already shown an unwillingness to interrupt prime time for President Obama. Back in March, the network chose not to air a press conference. To be honest, Obama has been on TV a lot more than President George W. Bush. All that prime time real estate is expensive, and the networks have squawked about how often Obama has requested the air time.

Well, next Wednesday night, Fox apparently will not grant the request. Instead, the network will stick with its plan to air the debut of So You Think You Can Dance at 8 PM, followed by the eagerly awaited second episode of Glee. Yes, it will be the second show. The premiere of Glee officially occurred on May 19, a sort of advance look at the season premiere.

Anyway, Fox does have a fall back position. It can show Obama's speech -- an address about health care to a joint session of Congress -- on the Fox News channel. You know, I believe that it's important for the networks to cooperate with the President when it comes to addressing the public. but maybe somebody in the Obama administration should be aware of what's going on with TV.

Here's a thought: Kal Penn. Kal left House last season to go work at the White House. Let's give him the job of advising the President when it's a good time to ask for TV time. That'll solve the problem.

countrydivaaj

But it's okay for them to postpone American Idol to the next night when Obama makes a speech? Sorry, but Idol is Fox's bread and butter, not Glee. Twice last season, we had to wait a night for the much-anticipated Idol so Fox could air the President's speech. But for Glee, which Fox would LIKE to be hit, there is no waiting. Idol is about real people pursuing their dreams. Glee is about fictional characters pursuing theirs. Which should get priority?

September 08 2009 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

Does Tivo have a season Pass for this guy??

September 06 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Good on ya, Fox!

I'm curious what the other networks would have done if the speech were one week later.

September 06 2009 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

I have nothing against Obama but I wouldn't watch ANY presidential address over most programming, the wall, flies flying, etc.

September 05 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Right on, Rightmom - After repeatedloy failing to articulate what he envisions for healthcare, or even reading the bill, the Big O takes to the airwaves yet agin to tell us what he REALLY meant. The networks give time to the president as a courtesy. Obama has already eaten up more primetime hours that Feorge Bush did in 2 terms. There are plenty of outlets for people who want to see Obama's speech. The interesting thing to watch will be if Fox gets big ratings and the other networks follow suit and refuse to cover the president. Finally, why does Obama need such a big sell. The last time I checked his party had overwhelming margins in both the House and Senate. Sounds like he needs to get his own people in line before he starts blaming the Republicans.

September 05 2009 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mwita David

As an American child, am happy due to the fact that our beloved president Barack Obama still has the passion for the future of an American child.I believe he has something new for the future of an American child.Bravo Mr.President for your historic leadership.My friends and I are always with you in every footstep you make.

September 05 2009 at 6:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

Why am I not surprised that once again you spin the story to slam Fox? Never mind that ABC gave Obama his infomercial with no opposing point of view or that all of the networks with the exception of Fox are in the tank for Obama. While you may believe that the networks
should "cooperate" with Obama, many of us believe he should answer the questions we asked at the townhall meetings (and I attended of my own free will without pay or as part of a group). Questions like if the bill is so great, why won't he and the Dems agree to participate
in the same plan they want to force me into when instead the Dems voted multiple times against such an amendment introduced by Republicans that would have required this. Or whether or not taxpayer funded abortions are part of the bill (again Dems voted multiple times against an amendment introduced by Republicans that would have eliminated such a proposal). But of course we should just all be good little soldiers and cooperate as you suggested.

September 05 2009 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CherrySlurpees

Halle-freakin-lujah! I've never been a fan of pre-empting...be it the President or baseball. I want my TV...I catch up the next morning by watching the morning shows and using the Interwebs.
I, too, feel that Presidential addresses should be used sparingly. If one expects the general public to value what you have to say, make sure what you're saying isn't the FOURTH time you're saying it.

September 05 2009 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I have had enough of Obama and I want my GLEE

September 04 2009 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdk

Glee? (chortle) Standard chick fare with standard cast of 30 year old "high school students". Just Fox's knock-off of High School Musical. So fethtive!

September 04 2009 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mdk's comment
Scott

Ah, how enlightened. "People sing. Must be for chicks & homos." Hope you're happy in your cave.

September 04 2009 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

It's pretty obvious you've never seen Glee.

September 04 2009 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply