October 25, 2014

Is Charlie Gibson livid about Diane Sawyer succeeding him?

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 5th 2009 5:01PM
sawyer_gibson_abcIt was big news this week about Charlie Gibson retiring. Later on, when the headline flashed that Charlie was "livid" that Diane Sawyer was chosen to succeed him at the ABC World News anchor desk, I have to admit I was stunned. Why on earth would Charlie Gibson be so vexed by his former Good Morning America partner taking on the job he had chosen to give up?

The Daily Beast story claimed that his reaction came from a unnamed source, and that's what Variety's BLTV was writing about today. He suggested that perhaps the reporter, Rebecca Dana, had relied too much on scuttlebutt and chose to believe that Gibson was ticked off and, thus, went with the story.

But what if it's true that Gibson was livid. If so, why? Looking at the roster of ABC news pros, who is more qualified and deserving of the anchor role than Diane Sawyer? Every name on the short list comes with some reservations, like Bob Woodruff, who may not be up for the rigors of a daily news report. Or George Stephanopoulos, who has a full-time job with This Week. Dan Harris and Jake Tapper don't have the experience. Would Elizabeth Vargas or Robin Roberts be your choice over Sawyer?

I'm not a huge Sawyer fan, but she's more than earned her stripes. She's a consummate pro and a recognizable face. Any viewer tuning in for the evening news will feel confident seeing Diane Sawyer sitting there and telling it the way it is.

So whether or not Charlie Gibson is happy or unhappy, livid or okay with it, ABC made the right choice.

Carrin

I quit liking Charlie when he was so rotten in how he interviewed Sarah Palin. I don't even like Sarah Palin, but he was just rotten! I saw a different side of Charlie that night and I didn't like what I saw. I always loved watching Charlie on his morning show. He was a delight to behold.

Sorry, Charlie, you ruined it for a lot of women watchers. You are definitely OUT.

I would like to see Stone Phillips take Charlies place. Why the heck isn't Stone on some show? I miss Stone. I like him a lot. I like him more than I like Charlie.

I do like Diane, too, though, so I guess she will be okay. GMA really is falling apart though. It hasn't been the same since Charlie left.

They messed up big time!

September 09 2009 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

Sadly, I think this is just another case of sexism in the media and the public. Any woman who tries to focus on traditional serious news is constantly chained to the fluff pieces, and any headway she makes toward the anchor role gets awash with "catfight" remarks and sordid tales of behind-the-scenes gossip.

September 06 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roy

It's a sad day when Charlie leaves the program. It's even sadder when he is replaced by Diane. You may think she is great with the news but as a person it's different. Many of her off camera statements are inexcuseable. I won't repeat examples but beleive me she is a racist and very biased in her personal opinions! This is a bad move and I am through with ABC. If the truth was known, Charlie is probably better off!

September 06 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

Maybe the unnamed source was someone who is a Diane Sawyer "hater", or wanted the job for themselves or their friend, or..... a person who just likes to create drama. Maybe nobody said anything - maybe the "journalist" created an article with drama. Reality TV in print.

September 06 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Who the f*** cares what Charlie Gibson thinks?

Good riddance, Chuck.

September 06 2009 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chickie

Diane, Katie, ...Diane, Katie,.....Neither......the ratings basement was an apt description of what will happen. Now if they picked Jake Tapper there would be some resemblance of of honest news covering all issues.
But sorry Diane, you stink on ice......and you deserve it?

September 06 2009 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

who watches network news anymore ? I am more for my local news broadcasts and the U.S.A. Today newspaper for national news

September 06 2009 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

Here we go again with hypothetical journalism of gossiping about low unconfirmed bullshit! Despite if he mad or not why is this important. It's not! Ridiculous.

Journalism has been replaced with gossip and hypothetical situations.

September 05 2009 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Dan Harris is my pick - he often covers religious stories, he keeps cool and reasoned even when dealing with some truly bat shit crazy people...

I like Sawyer and agree she has earned it - but when Charlie signs off, I'll move from ABC over to NBC and Brian Williams.

I still miss Peter Jennings.

September 05 2009 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anomie

Maybe he was forced out. Maybe they told him he was too old. Diane Sawyer is older than Charles Gibson. Maybe that's why he is livid. I'm fine with Diane, but I am a bigger fan of Charles Gibson. This may be a mistake.

September 05 2009 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply