September 16, 2014

Ranking my enthusiasm for the new fall slate

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 8th 2009 7:01PM
CommunityEach year, as the new fall season approaches, I go through all the magazine and online sources talking about the various shows to try and figure out which ones I'm going to be excited about, and which I'm going to avoid like the plague.

Inevitably, I wind up sampling plenty of shows from which I should have steered clear. At the same time, a few shows will slip between the cracks, and then I'm bashing my head against the wall because I missed out on the beginning of something special. I hate coming into things late.

This year, I decided to share my top and bottom five selections. I'm sure the rest of the Squadders and you will have differing opinions than mine, but that's what makes America great, right? Chime in with your own lists in the comments.

MY TOP FIVE
It's interesting that most of the critical community seems to agree on what the hottest new shows are going to be. Even more shocking is that I agree with them, or they agree with me. Usually we're on way different pages, and then I watch all my favorite shows get canceled in a month or two. I wonder which of us is changing?

1) FlashForward (Thursday on ABC) - I was on board this show before the first promo. ABC's just hyping me up even more. I'm actually eagerly awaiting the chance to see the story unfold.

2) V
(Tuesday on ABC) - I'm cautiously hopeful. I loved the alien invasion mini-series from the '80s, but the first TV series lost nearly all of its magic.

3) Community (Thursday on NBC) - With Chevy Chase joining The Soup's Joel McHale in this comedy, it has the potential to be the funniest new show of the season.

4) Modern Family
(Wednesday on ABC) - I love Ed O'Neill. This show has crept up the list the more I've seen of it. It looks like pure family chaos in 22 minutes. We can all relate to that.

5) Glee
(Wednesday on FOX) - As a former cello player, I can relate to the desire to do something that's seen as uncool because the passion is there. This had one of the slickest pilots I've seen in years.

MY BOTTOM FIVE
To compile this list, I actually forced myself to rank all 23 of the new fall shows, so while NCIS: Los Angeles ranked pretty low, because that's just not my kind of show, it didn't make the final cut.

5) Three Rivers (Sunday on CBS) - Your medical drama twist is transplant patients and donors, CBS? Well getting pretty dry there?

4) Accidentally on Purpose (Monday on CBS) - Even CBS isn't sure how to promote it. The ad I saw had no clips; just the cast standing on a white background and Jenna Elfman telling me she just wanted to have some fun but "Whoops!" now she's pregnant. Yawn.

3) The Beautiful Life (Wednesday on The CW) - The lives of beautiful models. No thanks, I've got my own problems.

2) Brothers
(Friday on FOX) - If America wants comedy, like NBC says, they don't want this kind of comedy. Stereotypes and flat characters and CCH Pounder slumming here when she should be on something great.

1) Melrose Place
(Tuesday on The CW) - No, no, no, no, no!

mterrific

I'm looking forward to community especially for Donald Glover. I've been a fan of him and his Derrick Comedy Sketch troupe for years. I'm very excited to see him on mainstream tv.

September 10 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cbarr72905

Sorry you didn't care for Three Rivers....but CBS felt it is worth keeping and have re-shot the first episode. I hope you are willing to watch it and give it another show. Alex O'Loughlin is worth watching in anything and he truly believes in this show and it's story line of organ donation/transplants....almost everybody has been touched by this subject, either themselves, family, friends or co-workers. Please give Alex and Three Rivers another chance....you won't be disappointed! Donate Life...it's important!

September 10 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sallau8185

I am looking forward to "V". I loved the mini-series. I was surprised at how interesting "The Good Wife" looked. It was not what I expected. I will try to check that out. I am a huge Alex O'Loughlin/Moonlight fan, but I am not really interested in the whole premise of "Three Rivers". All the fans are tuning in for Alex, but I think the show has a depressing theme. Life is too depressing and we tune into television to take us away. We do not need to be reminded of how short life is. Sure E.R. had death, but many people survived and there were other things going on. Someone always has to die for the stories to move forward.

September 10 2009 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslye

I'm more excited about returning shows, than the new ones. *NCIS* (original recipe), *The Mentalist*, *Criminal Minds*, *House*, and *CSI:Miami* (although with Delko leaving, not going to watch all season). This summer has been great with *Burn Notice* (totally rocks), *Leverage*(season finale tonight), *The Closer* and *Royal Pains*...cable is getting it right. The networks need to pay attention to the ratings of these shows in particular for tips.

September 09 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leslye's comment
wulfn1

I thought we had to wait till next summer to see royal pains again?

September 09 2009 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricochet

Joel McHale & Chevy Chase together - seriously? I'm there. Other than that, I'm just holding out for Burn Notice to return.

September 09 2009 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Yeah, this new fall season is underwhelming to say the least. Last fall my DVR was maxed out recording as many as three shows in one timeslot with me watching another show live over the airwaves just so I could catch everything I wanted to see. This year? Not so much...

Not only has Jay Leno deep-sixed everything on NBC at the 10pm/9pm slot but a number of my fave shows last season have been canceled (The Unit, Sarah Connor Chronicles) or have been moved to another not-so-crowded night (usually Friday). This leaves a handful of shows up against each other. After last year, programming my DVR will be child's play this season. Plus, no "live" broadcast shows unless I want them that way.

Oh, and Jason I agree with your list for the most part. That's how I know this season is going to suck. Everyone pretty much agrees with each other on what's going to be worth watching and its slim pickings. I'm up for Flash Forward and V for sure. Glee was great (at least the pilot ep was) so we'll see how they do. You used the word "potential" in grading Community. Sorry, that's the kiss of death in my book. TONS of horrible comedies have failed because they have the "potential" to be funny - and simply aren't. Agreed, both these look ok on paper but I'm not holding my breath.

Is it too early to start the office pool on what new show gets canceled first???

September 09 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Shifty

Bored to Death and
Community

Flash Forward doesn't interest me and nothing on ABC has interested me since Lost but I missed out on the first few episodes and just haven't gotten around to watching DVDs. Just not in the mood to start watching more shows, I've only got so many I can watch and others that pile up on TiVo.

September 08 2009 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

What I'm looking forward to:

Community
Flash Forward
Survivors
Bored To Death
Glee

What I'm planning on avoiding:

Cougar Town
Accidentally on Purpose
The Middle
Melrose Place
The Jay Leno Show

Neither of the above lists are in any particular order.

September 08 2009 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RcCarol

This list is very similar to mine, though I plan to check out The Good Wife instead of Modern Family.

September 08 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

I saw a preview of Modern Family - utter crap. It's pure cliche.

September 08 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply