American Idol shocker: Ellen DeGeneres replacing Paula...permanently

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 9th 2009 9:38PM
ellen_degeneres_smilingThere is big news in the world of television tonight. Multiple Emmy winner and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres has joined American Idol as a judge. She will essentially be the permanent replacement for Paula Abdul, so if any of you were holding out hope that Paula was standing by to resume her post, forget about it.

The bigger story here is that a star of Ellen's stature, someone who has high visibility and is beloved by the public, has decided to become a member of America's number one rated prime time show.

Ellen DeGeneres on American Idol as a guest star would be a rating boost, so it's safe to say that her weekly presence will ensure that Idol's numbers will continue to be top of the chart.

In the press release announcing her addition to the show, Ellen said, "I'm thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol. I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote."

That last line made me laugh -- you, too, I bet. And see, that's a new wrinkle that Ellen will be uniquely suited to bring to Idol. She's funny. She's quick-witted. There won't be much she'll see on Idol that she won't be turn around into a gag. That's going to make the program better. Now it won't be just Simon with the pithy remarks!

American Idol returns to Fox in January 2010. Ellen will begin her judging duties after the auditions. The audition will feature the following guest judges: Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry and Shania Twain.

Alan Sepinwall at NJ.com has confirmed that Ellen is not leaving her talk show. At a taping for tomorrow's episode of her syndicated show, DeGeneres told the studio audience, "I'm not leaving here. Don't worry about that. I'm going to have a day job and a night job. The times we're living... in we're all doing that."

zenith

I won't watch it any more. If Simon would have left, I wouldn't watch it any more either. It's Simon + Paula. That's the way it must be.

October 14 2009 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BJ

I think Ellen coming onboard is a FANTASTIC idea! Where is your sense of humor?

Can't wait for the show to begin!

September 20 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not an Adam fan

Ellen Degeneret on American Idol is NOT GOOD for the show! The show worked well with judges that had actual experience with music, like Randy with producing (etc.) and Paula with hit records. It did not need a comedian for a judge.
Monday night football tried using a comedian as a host. It didn't work, people wanted football, not jokes.
My wife and I have watched every show since the beginning and I personally thought they were already going downhill last year. Come on, really, Slash as a mentor? And then when the judges fell all over themselves annointing Adam Lambert as a "Rock God"? And then a guest performer openly annointing Adam again with his name on her cape?
A gay commedian judge who has no musical credentials at all will not make me want to watch. My wife and I will never watch another Idol show. PERIOD!

September 13 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooch

Ellen, has a heart of gold. How sad it is to see people having such joy in pulling down those who are gay. I am sure that many have so many thing's in their own closet. It is best to take care of Your door step, before You do other's. We are behind You Ellen.

September 13 2009 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Cant believe they put this pervert on Idol. My daughter loved that show and now she will no longer be able to watch. sickening!!

September 11 2009 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tip Hahn

I used to like Ellen Degeneres until she tried to shove her life-style down my throat. Now I can't stand the woman and I will never watch American Idol again as long as she it on the show.

September 11 2009 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I have never been a fan of Ellen and her popularity mystifies me. She was never funny as a stand up comic, I tried to watch her sitcom, but it was lame and not funny and I dont watch her talk show because I dont find her the least bit entertaining.
Maybe my misgivings will prove to be unfounded and Ellen will bring something fresh and new to the show. But what I think will happen is that Ellen, like many comics, will continue to think that every word that comes out of her mouth has to be a joke or leading up to a punch line, and that that will get very annoying very quickly. I am afraid that the show will become too much about Ellen trying to do her shtick and to little about the music, which is why I watch the show in the first place.
And I agree with emland, now, instead of the show dragging on and going over time because of Paulas rambling, incomprehensible comments, it will now drag and go over because of Ellens' painful attempts to inject her "humor" into all of her comments. I am glad that Paula is gone, but this feels like a bad fit for the show.

September 10 2009 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Ingenious choice. She was hilarious as a guest judge on SYTYCD, and let's face it: The only judge on AI who says anything worth hearing is Simon. Now we'll have a second judge I'll actually want to listen to.

September 10 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I was really excited when I heard Ellen was going to guest judge on So You Think You Can Dance last season. However, she was awful. She offered nothing constructive and she wasn't funny or witty at all.

Now it is going to take even more time for the judges because they are going to have to wait for everyone to fake-laugh at the unfunny comment she makes after each performance.

I like Ellen in her own genre, but this is a wrong fit.

September 10 2009 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

I really like Ellen. Her show is hilarious and her stand up is hilarious. Usually I would enjoy watching anything she is in because she is just such a great comedian and communicator, however why is she a judge on a singing show? I thought the point of the show was to have people judged on their singing by people who know about singing. Ellen may be a great dancer and heck maybe she can sing on her own but does that qualify her to judge a singing competition. What the heck FOX? And you also canceled the best show on TV (Terminator). I hope that this sinks the show just as a way of making up for that stupid decision.

September 10 2009 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply