September 19, 2014

Chuck producer hoping to bring back the western, with a sci-fi twist

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 9th 2009 2:01PM
Planet of the ApesI know what you're thinking. Joss Whedon already did that with Firefly. But you see, Firefly was quite different than the western Chuck producer Scott Rosenbaum is developing. See, Firefly was a space-based science fiction with western elements. This project is a western with sci-fi elements.

I know what you're thinking. Michael Garrison already did that with The Wild Wild West. But you see-- I'm not going to do all that again. Actually, the description leaves things a little vague, so I've taken the liberty of filling in the blanks with only my sleep-deprived mind and a healthy dosage of Diet Dr. Pepper to guide me.

Rosenbaum's official descriptions include "a gunslinger caught between worlds" and a nod to Planet of the Apes. Post-apocalyptic? They're adapting Stephen Kings' The Dark Tower?! Hardly. I do suspect a future time when we've reverted back to the trappings of the Old West. Either that, or a parallel world. I don't really care, I've been itching for a good western since Deadwood had to go.

Ronan

Best sci-fi western of all times: BTTF3

September 10 2009 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
punksrus

Firefly had horses!

September 09 2009 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
btarlinian

Doing something like that is just asking for comparisons to Firefly, and while Chuck is great, I don't think Rosenbaum is capable of living up to Firefly. (And no I'm not a Whedon fanatic, I hate Buffy, will watch Angel if there's nothing else to do, and think Dollhouse was worse than T:TSCC.)

September 09 2009 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justageekgirl

But does it have horses in it? Cuz really, it's not a western unless it has... Oh, yeah, that was Firefly.

September 09 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

Brisco County Jr.?

September 09 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to robert's comment
David

Exactly!

September 09 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Or DC Comics' HEX series.

September 09 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathy

If its not stephen kinds the gunslinger then if i was stephen king i would get ready for a law suit.

September 09 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cathy's comment
Aaron

weird west was an established genre long before King, he simply one of the best to use it. I'm looking forward to this I need some updated westerns or maybe even steampunk.

September 09 2009 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply