October 25, 2014

Glee: Showmance

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 9th 2009 10:31PM
Glee_cast_fox
(S01E02)
After the terrific premiere episode of Glee last May, it was probably inevitable that the second episode would have a hard time recapturing that euphoria. For the first few minutes, however, Glee had succeeded. As Will made his entrance into McKinley High, high on the joy that the New Directions had brought back to his life and seeing it reflected in the lives of the students in the club, I related to the euphoria. I love that euphoria.

As the music to Dean Martin's "Ain't That A Kick in the Head" played (sans vocal) in the background, it seemed that Glee was sailing. More on the rest of the show after the jump.

Somewhere along the way, the four letters that spell Glee went from "g-l-e-e" to "s-o-a-p." Complications were expected, but too much angst has gripped the group and it's happened really fast. Will's marriage is turning into Jon and Kate Plus One, all happy on the outside but covering up a nest of nastiness. And the inconsistencies in their relationship made my head spin.

Initially, Will was suckered into the overpriced tract house, taking a demeaning second job as the school's night janitor to afford the "grand foyer." But later, Terri gives the house up when her bun in the oven turns out to be a hysterical pregnancy and she doesn't tell Will about it. Is this The Young and the Restless or Glee? One scene has Will and Terri sharing a bath, then she's lying to him about the baby?

Meanwhile, Emma continues to pine for Will, but opts to accept a date from Ken when he gives her an honest, but grim look at why she should go out with him. I understand Emma's longing, especially when Will continues leading her on; doesn't he know what he's doing to her? Still, Emma's been out with Ken and knows that he will never make her happy.

Then there are the students and the problems they're facing. While performing "Le Freak," "Golddigger" and "Push It" they were pretty upbeat, but once the music stopped, oh the drama. I expected the celibacy club would be a funny premise, but it wasn't. It did set up a wry bit about how Finn keeps from bursting below the belt when he gets sexually aroused by using the image of a postal worker splashed across his windshield! Lea Michele's solo "Take A Bow" was beautifully done, but kind of a downer way to end the show.

Another downer was Sue Sylvester. I love Jane Lynch. I love the idea of her heading up the Cheerios and plotting their success at all costs. I don't buy her morphing into Snidely Whiplash. She did everything but twirl a mustache! Sue has to have more of a comic tone. She can't seem to be losing it in her desire to destroy the glee club.

Finally, there's one thing missing from Glee that needs addressing. Where are the parents? Surely Rachel's two dads would be there for every performance, even an assembly. That's a ripe comic vein that should be mined.

I still have faith in Glee; I'm not giving up. I'm just hoping for more.

Horse N. Buggy

Forget about "Nip/Tuck." This is probably going to be more like Ryan Murphy's other high school show "Popular." All the over-the-top elements are there, just waiting to be developed. If you want realism, I think you'd better stop watching right now.

None of these characters are going to behave the way they would "in real life." The adults are going to let the kids get away with really unbelievable things...because it's funny and satirical.

September 11 2009 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KevinInChains

its only the 2nd episode, relax.

September 11 2009 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisabeth

The problem was that the pilot was too good. But come on, this episode wasn't that bad. I expected a minor let-down, and yes, it wasn't quite as good as the pilot, but, overall, they continued the storylines that were started.
This show is still in my top 5 for this season, I'm sticking with it.
As for the one-liners, the previous commenters caught the best ones. Loved them!

September 10 2009 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Elisabeth's comment
R. Reed

the brochure: "So You Want To Throwup"

September 11 2009 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jm

Hilarious from start to finish.

September 10 2009 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

"I don't seem to have a gag reflex"

"When you're older that will be (sic) looked upon as a benefit"

LMAO - funniest thing I've heard in a LONG time on television.

September 10 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Mike's comment
AngryManSteve

No doubt :) This episode had some awesome one-liners. Hope they keep it up.

"This is where our daughter or gay son will sleep."

lol

September 10 2009 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

"And I'll get my boyfriend back."

"I don't care so much about that"

September 10 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Overall I enjoy the show. Two things grate - the wife is just a dimwit, too much so.

Also, I am decades out of high school and so are my kids, but most faculty at any school I've ever been around would have stopped that performance in mid-note and seriously considered major punishment.

As they say, "What's next? The Andes plane crash cookbook?"

September 10 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mark's comment
AngryManSteve

Mark - I'm not sure you understand the show. Yes, the assembly performance was inappropriate. That's why it was *funny*. The fact that the principal enjoyed it so much made it funnier. The writers have obviously been studying The Office.

Did you have a problem with the dinner scene where the kids were running around the table throwing pillow stuffing into the air? Would that have happened IRL? No, of course not, but it was awesomely cringeworthy.

September 10 2009 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

I watched the pilot and enjoyed it. I watched this episode and enjoyed it. I guess I'm not really expecting much from Ryan Murphy after the cesspool Nip/Tuck turned into after the Carver storyline.

As far as some characters being too over the top...what did you expect? Everything is dialed up a notch. The pilot itself was like a caricature of high school and its cliques. Jocks. Check. Cheerleaders. Check. Nerds. Check. Etc.

September 10 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I'm not sure I agree with you about Terri. She's a conniving pill who would have no moral qualm about lying to her husband, even about something as important as her pregnancy -- remember her secret Pottery Barn stash from the pilot? Surely not the same caliber of offense, but a sign of the kind of person they are writing her to be. And it ain't far off. I've known plenty of conniving, lying, selfish suburban princesses who would give Terri a run for her money.

September 10 2009 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

Rachel (Lea Michele), superhot.

September 10 2009 at 5:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Virgin Cosmo

Worth the hype and the wait! There's still time to mix-in Winona from "Heathers," Regina from "Mean Girls," Ferris, etc. Yes, add the parents, competing schools, the dungeons & dragons freaks, the geek squad, etc. Outstanding writing -and- the music hit 3-4 generations. That's pretty smart!

September 10 2009 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply