August 28, 2014

Warehouse 13: Breakdown

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 9th 2009 1:02AM
Warehouse 13
If you think about it, the Warehouse has to be one of the most unpredictable and dangerous places on the planet. We've seen what can happen when one artifact gets out of control, or when two work in tandem. There are possibly millions of artifacts housed in there, and most of them are just lying on a shelf. What if, say, a zip line were to break and come collapsing across the tops of hundreds of those shelves, scattering artifacts about?

That would be bad.

That is what happened while Artie was away having an "adventure" of his own. Pete and Myka popped in to the Warehouse to see how Claudia was doing, only to find all hell slowly breaking loose. In Claudia's defense, it wasn't entirely her fault this time.

The biggest problem was that, in the original zip line collapse, a cannister of "Sticky String" rolled into the gears of the Neutralizer Processing Center, or "Gooery," and broke it. No goo circulating and artifacts start getting all hinky and wanting to do their special little gifts. Which apparently leads to a massive storm cloud in the Warehouse and ultimate destruction.

We got to see a bit of the Dark Vault, where the dangerous artifacts are, many of which are sensory activated per the warning. So, of course, Pete failed to adhere and got ensnared by Sylvia Plath's life-sucking typewriter, after being creeped out by Chucky's ancestor. Every time we pan around the Warehouse, I find myself wanting to know the properties of all the various items we see. We didn't get a new artifact quest, but there's enough already in the Warehouse that I didn't even care.

As for Artie, a brilliant introduction for the Regents, who oversee everything that goes on at the Warehouse. Clear out the "regular" customers at a homey little restaurant and let the meeting begin. Most of the patrons and even the waitress were part of it, except for Artie. And we learned that Mrs. Frederic is, in fact, Irene Frederic.

Unfortunately, the meeting was about Artie's competence to continue running events at the Warehouse from the ground. Mark Sheppard (Battlestar Galactica) was the leader of this pack, and he reamed Artie for his unorthodox methods. If only he'd known the chaos that was unfolding back at the Warehouse.

But Artie stood up for himself, called everybody a bunch of cowards, kept his job and went home. The foursome that makes up the heart of this show is growing tighter, and I think they're going to need that as we close in on the season finale, and the inevitable confrontation with MacPherson.

Artifacts on the Loose
  • Baylor Dodgeball (Multiplies Upon Contact), neutralized by being caught
  • Sticky String (Do not use indoors) gets into the Neutralizer Processing Center, gumming up the works.
  • Easter Island Conch (Breathe Underwater)
  • Clark Gable Grooming Kit (Grow Fingernails Really Fast)
  • Dog Whistle (Summon Locusts)
  • Lena's Bed and Breakfast painting (keeps people from leaving the room painted therein), neutralized by cutting a hole in the painting
  • Sylvia Plath's Typewriter (Object drains nearby persons of energy and will to live within a limited proximity)
  • Snow Globe (shakes cold snow out the bottom)

ylostone

Love this show. Love it, love it, love it!
ML Lacy,

September 20 2009 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

This was probably my favorite episode so far. I loved seeing the different artifacts, and the entire save the Warehouse was a blast. CCH Pounder, Saul Rubinek, and Mark Sheppard were great in the more serious roles. Full review of the episode on my blog.

September 09 2009 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
btarlinian

I understand the comments about Claudia doing stupid stuff, but this time you really couldn't blame her. I could see the same exact thing happening to Artie as what happened to Claudia. Besides who's dumb enough to put in an easily accessible button to do something you would never want anyone to do, i.e., release the zipline thereby unleashing half a dozen artifacts.

September 09 2009 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I agree with George, I like Claudia, but at this point they're making her age a liability. Also, considering the dangers of the Warehouse, I don't understand why Artie didn't request a senior member to babysit the Warehouse such as Lena while P&M enjoyed their day off.

Also, if something happened to Artie, who would clean up the Warehouse or even know how to handle it? Finally, clearly, part of the show is watching Pete & Myka deal with with new Warehouse wonders, but I'm starting to think even a secret government agency would give its workers a bit more background. Yea, I know that's Myka's schtick with Artie, but that's what ran through my mind in the beginning.

I wasn't as big a fan of this ep as I tend to prefer the ones that do my character development than rely on pre-21st century CGI -

September 09 2009 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I really enjoyed this episode. I had a hard time warming up to Claudia's character. After watching her in this episode, I connected to her character a lot more. I think Myka and Pete's relationship is charismatic. Pete is hilarious with all his little quips. I ADORE him!
I just really love this show.

September 09 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I'm rapidly tiring of Claudia... or more accurately, of "Claudia does something reckless that results in a near-catastrophe" storylines. Yes, yes, impetuousness of youth, I get it, but she's routinely doing more harm than good.

September 09 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

would they just make claudia a full cast member already.

September 09 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

I love this show!

September 09 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

I pretty sure the restaurant they used was the same one from every morning meeting in "Dead Like Me" and in the StargateSG1 episode where Daniel is half ascended and talking with Oma Desala and Anubis.

I can only figure it is a well used set for Vancouver based filming.

September 09 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koads

Am I the only one who thought of "Hotel California" when they got trapped in the B&B ?

September 09 2009 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply