Can Ellen replace another American Idol judge too?

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 10th 2009 4:28PM
ellen degeneresIf the news that Ellen DeGeneres was going to become a judge on American Idol had broken a year ago, I would have been totally psyched. Hopefully she would replace Paula, and bring some much-needed humor to the show (humor that isn't mean-spirited or allegedly pill-addled, that is). But now that Ellen will be the new fourth judge on Idol, the news comes as somewhat as a disappointment.

I've been a huge fan of Ellen since her stand-up days, so I'm all for her showing up anywhere. I also think her purpose of bringing a "fan's perspective" to the show is a good idea on the producers' part. But does Paula need to be the only judge Ellen replaces?

Last season's problem was not Paula Abdul. The addition of Kara DioGuardi as fourth judge really seemed to make Paula step her game up. Instead of giving the contestants nothing but useless, nonsensical platitudes involving inner beauty and butterflies, she straight up gave them sound musical advice-- the kind of which Randy used to give. She tried to be more constructive and helpful, and as a result, her and Simon's comments are the only ones I remember from helping to cover Idol last season.

Randy Jackson used to be a good bridge between Simon's harshness and Paula's relentless warm fuzzies. Lately, however, he's become nothing more than an empty catch-phrase machine: every single Dawg is "pitchy" no matter what the song or pitch in which it was sung.

Kara, on the other hand, had an attitude of "please, I could do better than this," which made many of her comments very awkward. You don't need to look any further than her sing-off with Bikini Girl in the auditions to see an embarrassing example of how Kara seemed to think she was on the wrong side of the table. Plus, the final song that she wrote for Kris and Adam was unforgivable. UNFORGIVABLE.

American Idol's real issue from last season though, wasn't any of these individiuals: it was the fact that the show simply does not need four judges. They need a tiebreaker; they don't need four people spouting on and on, making the show go over and screwing up everybody's DVRs. They don't need the judges to combine their critiques, making it so we don't even hear from half of them.

So while naming Ellen a judge on American Idol is a good idea, it would become a great idea if they get rid of either Kara or Randy. If Paula can't be on, then it should be Simon, Ellen and a third. The fourth chair should just remain empty.

sad di

It will be a sad winter without Idol, but what they have done,"getting ride of Paula", I have no desire to watch anymore. By changing what made popular in the first place is a dumb move, lose Kara, bring back Paula, and I will return, otherwise, Goodbye American Idol, thanks for the memories.

October 19 2009 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stan brown

LOVE PAULA, LOVE ELLEN,AND FOR SOME REASON NEED SIMON. NOT ENOUGH TIME FOR MORE JUDGES AND THEIR RANTS. BRING BACK THE HONESTY IN THE 'AI' VOTING SYSTEM ! LAST SEASON'S DEBACLE WITH THE PHONE SYSTEM EXPERIMENT REEKED OF MANIPULATION. AND WHO SAID THERE ARE NO JUDGES OF COLOR W/O RANDY, DOES PAULA RING A BELL?

September 20 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saragee

I love Ellen but she was a disaster when she was a judge on SYTYCD. Tried to be funny, but failed miserably. Towards the end she dropped the funny and became sincere but by then it was too little too late. I just hope she doesn't pull the same thing on Idol.

September 11 2009 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Paula is irreplaceable! This is not going to work at all. Screw Idol! I'm not watching this year or ever.

September 11 2009 at 2:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Simon > Ellen > Randy > Paula > Kara

September 10 2009 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Let's hope Fringe wasn't only watched because the sloths weren't too lazy to change the channel after American Idol.

Prediction: Fringe cancelled at end of second season. Well that's not much of a prediction really, as no sci-fi series on Fox has gotten past a second season since the X-Files.

September 10 2009 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I never really warmed to Kara, but would rather her than Paula any day.

I totally agree, three judges is enough, especially considering the show really isn't a competition as much as it is a launching pad for whomever the powers that be want to win. ( still don't think paula's "second song" thing was her delusion as much as her not being able to mind her cue's ...I was shouting rigged way before that it just confirmed it for me.)

Nothing against Ellen. She's funny, loud and I fully believe can hold her own against Simon.(who is the only real reason to watch the show anymore since they got rid of the lamers who were trying out each week in the beginning.)

Randy has been a waste of stage space since the second season, and I have long been tired of the dawgs and pitchie's , it's like they have to keep him because he was there from the beginning,... oh ya and he's the only member who isn't white....

With the number of contestants who are making it past the first week of hollywood that are openly gay , it's probably about time they had a judge in their "corner" though I doubt Ellen is the gay pride cheerleader they would hope for. She is (despite her wild and wacky ways...) understated in her open homosexuality, it's why she's still managed to hold a broad audience on her daytime show.

I have lost much of my enthusiasm with Idol and wish they would drop some of the hollywood week episodes and return to the strange and horrifically off key wannabe-s

September 10 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Bruce, you have anger issues.

People seem to think they won't like Ellen because she's gay, however she sort of has a hugely successful daytime talk show. Apparently her gayness hasn't caused problems there.

I agree, 3 judges.

I think Kara was suffering from "what is my AI identity" last season, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she'll be better this year.

September 10 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I don't care if they have 50 judges, there is NO EXCUSE - EVER! - for going over time. Screwing up my DVR recording of Fringe, or forcing me to watch (not listen - tv will be muted) the last few minutes of AI so I know when Fringe starts is UNFORGIVABLE and INEXCUSABLE.

Screw fox, and fuck American Idol. I hope the religious nuts go crazy over a homosexual judge and stop watching so the ratings of this insanely asinine show go down.

September 10 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Jon

Amen!

At least Fringe is moving to Thursday nights so it won't have a chance to be tainted by the septic waste of an AI lead in. Though, now you must choose between Michael Scott and Walter Bishop..... I need to get a second tuner in my PC ASAP, STAT!

September 10 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply