November 27, 2014

Mad Men: Salt on ice cream?!?

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 10th 2009 3:26PM
Mad Men
This isn't a blog where we talk about food and drink (that's what Slashfood is for), but something happened on the most recent episode of Mad Men that I wanted to talk about. It was a shocking moment, something that a lot of people were talking about the next day.

Gene put salt on his ice cream!

Jason Kottke was interested in this too and decided to do a little investigating. Did people really put salt on their ice cream back in 1963 (or today), and if so, why? We all know that salt can make bland foods taste better, but it turns out that salt can make sub-par ice cream creamier and probably taste a little better too.

I shouldn't be so surprised by odd food combos though. When I was a kid I used to take slices of Wonder bread and pour sugar on them. Delicious! And I would eat Sara Lee pound cake not with milk but with Pepsi. Mmmmmmm. I also love peas but I hate pea soup.

BrisVegasB

I'm watching the 1963 movie "Come Fly With Me" and about 1hr into the movie one of the female leads when in Vienna sprinkles salt on her icecream. The team at Mad Men really do their research.

May 22 2011 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

salt cantaloupe, watermelon, pizza, never tried ice cream. Will give it a go.

September 14 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emerald

This is actually pretty common among older generations. (Say, grandparents and up.) From the days of homemade ice cream in the 50's and prior to that, salt often got into the ice cream during the making process. People who grew up with it tasting that way are used to it, and need to salt theirs to make it taste "right".

September 11 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

I only salt my french toast and never put on syrup or anything sweet. . .

September 11 2009 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zambonir

Salted Caramel ice cream is a very popular flavor in your more highbrow artisan shops these days. Salted licorice too.

September 11 2009 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
buckeyenut

think about how delicious chocolate ice cream & salted peanuts taste.i also like to eat something chocolate w/ something salty!

September 10 2009 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ayla

i'm a salt on watermelon kind of gal. i have an uncle who likes salt on canteloupe as well, though i'm more of a canteloupe purist myself.

September 10 2009 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Besides activating the "salty" taste buds, salt basically turns up the gain on all your other kinds of taste buds. It is a cheap and easy way to increase the flavor of anything. That's why most people end up eating way more sodium than they need.

September 10 2009 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I put Soy Sauce on popcorn. Apparently that's wierd.

September 10 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to izikavazo's comment
Steve

yes it is.

September 11 2009 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
opinionatedmoviechick

I had and ice cream maker as a kid and you would put salt in w/the ice so that way the cream would stick to the churn as you rotated it. Sometimes, the ice cream had a faint taste of salt.

Also, the oranges thing... I read in an article that smelling oranges are part of the aura that signify when a person is getting close to having a stroke or a seizure. Just FYI

September 10 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply