October 24, 2014

Maura Tierney exits Parenthood

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 11th 2009 10:03AM
maura_tierney_nbcActress Maura Tierney has been forced to abandon Parenthood, the NBC ensemble series in which she was cast last spring. Tierney had been diagnosed with breast cancer, had surgery and now must have treatment – chemotherapy and radiation.

The producers had pushed back production when Tierney's health crisis arose in July, but now that her condition requires prolonged treatment, she's walking away from the project and they will move on without her.

Maura released a statement saying that she was disappointed about not being able to do Parenthood, but she was confident that she would recover and resume her career after her treatments are complete.

NBC had picked up Parenthood based on the pilot, in part because of Tierney's participation. The actress was playing a single mother with money troubles who's forced to move in with her parents. Because Maura has a great track record with NBC, especially her tenure on ER, they wanted her to stick with the show. With that in mind, NBC shelved Parenthood till mid-season, giving Tierney a chance to stay with the show. In Parenthood's place, NBC scheduled Mercy for the fall.

Parenthood
will go back into production now with another actress cast in the role. "Our main concern is for her quick and full recovery," said a spokesman for the network.

Joel

God bless her and heal her.

September 12 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I hope Mare Winningham is the recast for this role

September 12 2009 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

That's a real shame. She's the main reason I was going to give this series a chance.

September 11 2009 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

I changed the title since the term "back off" was misinterpreted. No offense or slight as intended.

Thank you all for your comments.

September 11 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Allison Solow's comment
Teresa

Awesome, Allison! I figured you meant no offense, but the original title did seem insensitive. (I know you guys get a lot of grief from readers so I really wanted to express my thanks for you taking the time to edit the title per requests).

September 11 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

Have had a crush on her since News Radio and wish her all the best.

September 11 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
supidupi

First of all, all the best to her, always liked her work....especially lately on "Rescue me", which is by far the best show on tv imho. That brings me to my 2nd point. Hopefully she could return early enough to reprise her role for the shows last season. Again, all the best, know what you are going through, but you're a tough one.

September 11 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

All the best Maura and get well soon. As someone who had cancer operated on this year I know what the challenges are and know she can win through. I look forward to seeing Maura on TV in another show later 2010:)

September 11 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Did anyone at TV Squad think of how inconsiderate that headline is. Getting treatment for breast cancer isn't "backing out" of something, its fighting for your life.

September 11 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Adam's comment
Jake

Seconded. Change the headline.

September 11 2009 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Agreed. That title is misleading.

September 11 2009 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply