September 20, 2014

Supernatural: Sympathy for the Devil (season premiere)

by Hemal Jhaveri, posted Sep 11th 2009 1:21PM
Supernatural:Sympathy for the Devil
(S05E01) It's you chuckle head! You're the Michael Sword! -Zachariah

When we last saw Sam & Dean Winchester, they were staring down a face-to-face meeting with the Big Bad himself, Lucifer. And that's where we pick right back up for the epic and awesome season five opener. So, you'll forgive my fan girl gushing for a bit, but there are very few series that start their fifth season stronger than they did their first, and this episode surpassed a lot of the high expectations I had.

Not only do we get a kick ass fight scene, a possessed Bobby, and a tearful and heartfelt apology for starting Armageddon from Sam, but we finally meet Satan, and surprise, he's a pretty sympathetic fellow.

Basically, it boils down to this: the angles are back, the demons are creating havoc on Earth, everyone's raging for a Apocalyptic war and Dean is The Vessel. Oh and lastly, Sam & Dean are so broken up.

Aside from the emotional fallout of last season, the first episode of this season also establishes the two major plot points that will set up the myth arc of the season. Number one, if last season was All About Sam as fans have claimed, then this season is going to be All About Dean, as he seems to be the angel's "vessel" (which was alluded to it all the way back in the season two episode "Houses of the Holy") to winning this war. Number two, it looks like the Sam & Dean relationship is even worse for the wear than it was before.

You'd think the end of the world would be a dark and gloomy affair, but it's also laced with bitter one-liners delivered with perfect timing. Kripke's unique way of blending dark humor with drama works in this episode. Sam's encounter with his "super fan" and Chuck's shell shocked reaction to Cas's short-lived death are two moments that particularly stand out.

Jarad Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have also really perfected their teary emoting. Yes, the fans do like it when they cry, but this time it's warranted. I'm glad that we get to see the repercussions of Sam & Dean's broken relationship from last season, rather then just starting with clean slate this time around. There will be no going back to things as they were, which is gut wrenching.

One of the best scenes from last night had to be Sam's apology to Bobby over breaking the final seal. Padalecki especially conveys the perfect amount of guilt and vulnerability with just a quirk of his eyebrow and the puppy dog eyes. The guy can tear up pretty much on command and his reaction to Bobby's bitter disappointment is not only believable, but pretty darn heart breaking.

Of course, that scene makes the subsequent reveal that Bobby's been possessed by a demon all the more awesome. You'd think that a fan would be be hip to this trick by the fifth season, but no. They pulled off the Bobby bait and switch perfectly because the previous scene was so totally true to character and believable.

Not only do the two leads turn in great performances for this episode, but the thing that elevates it from being a solid season opener to an outstanding season opener, are the performances of the supporting characters and the introduction of Lucifer. Mark Pellegrino is outstanding as the man about to be possessed by the devil and I can't wait to see more of him.

Finally, this might deserve a longer post on another day, but Kripke also pokes a little fun at the rabid Internet fan base that's made the show so popular. It's pretty brave to not only have a special shout out to all the Sam/Dean slash writers out there (if you don't know what that is, look it up) but to poke fun at the very vocal Sam Girls who think that their favorite character has been getting the short end of the plot stick for the past few seasons.

Now, what do Dean Girls and Sam Girls think of all this? Are you sad that the boys are still fighting? Mad that it looks like Dean is the super special one this time around? Sad that Bobby is freaking paralyzed? Happy that Dean has his GED?

If the first episode of this season is any indication, it is going to be one heck of an angst ridden ride.

Jason Sturges

SUPERNATURAL IS A KICK ASS SHOW! THE BEST SHOW ON TV BY FAR! YOU CAN'T GET ANY BETTER ACTOR'S THAN JARED PADALECKI AND JENSEN ACKLES.
I HOPE THIS SHOW IS SILL AROUND FOR SEASON'S 6 & 7 IT'S ALSO WAY BETTER THAN GHOST WHISPERER. JARED IS A VERY NICE MAN WHO I MET IN DALLAS AT THE SUPERNATURAL CONVENTION. I ALSO GOT TO TAKE MY PICTURE WITH HIM. WHICH I WILL USE ON THE COVER OF THE BOOK. TAKE CARE AND WRITE ME I LOVE THIS SHOW. jaredpadaleckibook@yahoo.com

September 21 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Sturges

I loved the 5th season opener! This season will be even better that last season. I just wrote a book about Jared Padalecki who I met in Dallas in June 2008. You can email me at jaredpadaleckibook@yahoo.com to ask questions about the book. It's called, " Jared Padalecki, From a fan's point of view! " I hope to have it out soon????

September 21 2009 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Hey everyone I'm very in to supernatural and was wondering what your opinions were on whether Sam still has his powers. I figured last season with Ruby telling him the power was inside him the entire time he would realize he can use the powers without the blood.

When he said that after being on the plain he felt like he was cured, do you think he means of the blood addiction or of the "curse" of having these powers?

September 13 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metallicar67

Awesome start to a new season... Is it Thursday yet?

September 13 2009 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rain

Yay! It's back and I so agree with the comments posted above. We have a notice hanging in our lobby that Supernatural is filming on our street next week. I'm right above the action so I intend to hang out on our balcony on and off during the day and evening (they're filming until 1:30am) with my trusty camera. I was told by one of the people involved in the show that it's pretty much a go for a 6th season. Yay again!

September 11 2009 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

Something was bothering me about Bobby when they showed him coming into the house carrying his hat rather than wearing it. We hardly EVER see Bobby without his hat. I didn't see the possession, but it definitely caught my attention that something was off.

The whole "lose my number" thing clinched it, though. Bobby sees Sam and Dean as his sons, and you don't write off your kids, no matter what they do.

September 11 2009 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I loved AC/DC's Thunderstruck as the recap music. Brilliant episode all around, but Mark Pellegrino was the highlight for me. I'm looking forward to seeing him as the Devil next time.

September 11 2009 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Bobby should get a tattoo like the boys did. Other points you missed on an otherwise very solid episode: Kickass Cas was just amazing. Love him. And I hope to see more of Becky (maybe they can even have a FOTC-esque episode where Dean and Sam must pretend to be musicians). I do have to say it is kind of old that Dean is the very special good one so I hope there's a twist to all this.

September 11 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexa S.

I like you review but umm.. were you not watching last season because it was most definitely not about Sam. He was basically a background character last season and it seems like it will be the same this season. :(

September 11 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

The whole time Bobby was possessed, I was wondering why he didn't get one of those tattoos the boys have so he can never get possessed again. Seems like it would maybe be a good idea.

September 11 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply