September 16, 2014

Jane After Dark: Sexy Samantha talking Greek in Scrubs

by Jane Boursaw, posted Sep 13th 2009 10:00AM
Dirty Sexy Money Season 2Several DVD sets came my way this week, so I did some marathon viewing sessions for Jane After Dark. I'm brand new to some of these, so you'll get the stark, raw newbie version. But I'll start with one I've watched since the beginning ...

Dirty Sexy Money: The Complete Second and Final Season. I really liked this show at the beginning. It had all the elements of a great series, including excellent actors (starting with Donald Sutherland, Jill Clayburgh, and Peter Krause) and intriguing storylines with rich people, sex, murder, and mystery. But by the time they got to season two, the storylines just seemed to fizzle out. I would love to hear your thoughts on why Dirty Sexy Money didn't work. Crummy writing? Poor use of great actors? Too many characters to keep track of? Poor timing with the writer's strike occurring in the middle of its run, resulting in ten months between seasons?

Bonus features: Directing the Darlings (behind the scenes with director Jamie Babbit); A Total Knockout (a day in the life of Natalie Zea, who played Karen); Dirty Sexy Crafty (a featurette about the food on the set); Faux Pas (bloopers); deleted scenes.

Greek, Chapter Three. This show is all about the relationships, break-ups, make-ups, angst, and drama of kids in college, but it's also funny and witty. Even though it's about fraternities and sororities, which automatically brings in sex, Greek doesn't seem quite as sex-centric as another ABC Family show, The Secret Life of the American Teenager (which isn't saying much, since Secret Life is all about sex!). It's an ensemble show, but the focus of this chapter is Casey (Spencer Grammer, Kelsey's daughter) vs. Frannie (Tiffany Dupont). It's also fun to see Buffy / Angel alum Charisma Carpenter playing the character of Tegan Walker.The DVDs are released in half-season sets, and Chapter Three begins with "Brothers & Sisters" (season 2, episode 1) and runs through "Hell Week" (season 2, episode 10).

Bonus features: Audio commentary with the cast and crew; 20 Questions with the Cast of Greek; blooper reel.

Samantha Who?: The Complete Second and Final Season.
I came late to this series, and I'm sad it's been canceled. It's really a fun show that's never boring and features some fun characters. The stand-out for me is Samantha herself, played with ditzy glee by Christina Applegate. It's fun to go back and watch old episodes of Married With Children and see her early growth as an actress. She's like Lucille Ball and Claudette Colbert rolled into one (and if they remake It Happened One Night, I nominate Applegate for the lead). The second season of Samantha Who? had a different timeslot and lost the lead-in of Dancing With the Stars, which likely signaled its unfortunate death knell.

Bonus features: Set tour with Christina Applegate; Christina Dance Moment (exec producer Donald Todd talks about how Applegate wanted to do a dancing episode); Girl Chat (Applegate, Jennifer Esposito and Melissa McCarthy answer questions about their characters); deleted scenes; blooper reel.

Scrubs: The Complete Eighth Season. I've watched episodes of Scrubs here and there throughout its run, so I know all of the main characters, but not so much the individual storylines. However, my son has more experience with it, and while watching season eight, he remarked, "The earlier seasons seemed better." Those of you who've watched the entire run, do you find that to be true? As a newbie to the series, I thought it was quirky and fun, even with heavier storylines like J.D. and Turk skipping "steak night" to sit with a dying patient. Still, a good mix of light and dramatic moments all blended together. With the show moving into season nine with new characters (read Joel's interview with Bill Lawrence here), this might be a good time for me to jump in and start watching. I don't have the history of the Turk-J.D. bromance, so it probably won't be hard for me to see Turk by himself. Scrubs fans, are you planning on watching season nine?

Bonus features: Bill Lawrence answers fans' questions; My Bahamas Trip; deleted scenes; bloopers; alternate lines; and webisodes.

4beard

DSM was my favorite show and I loved all the characters except for the little sister (who they wrote off). I think DSM didn't make it because ABC did nothing to promote the show especially after the strike. The first few episodes of season 2 were not as good as season 1 but while watching the last 4 or show episodes during the summer I was sure reminded why I loved the show. Only show on TV that had me eagerly waiting for the next episode each week. Shame on ABC for not giving this show a fair shot at success.

September 14 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

My thought on DSM from the beginning was that it was a really good show when Krause and his wife, Sutherland, and/or Clayburgh were on screen, but it was mostly pretty bad when the Darling kids were the focus. Perhaps its problem was that people like me who enjoyed the grown-ups wouldn't put up with the younger ones, and the younger audience that enjoyed the younger ones wouldn't sit through the old folks.

September 13 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Season Eight of "Scrubs" was a substantial improvement over Season Seven, which was shockingly unfunny when it was trying to be funny.

The seventh was the only season with which I really take issue. It was wackier in the early seasons, but a show that lasts that long is going to evolve, going to do things differently over time. At least I'd hope it would.

September 13 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

DSM failed in it's second season because ABC asked them to dumb it down and the producers complied. The second season threw out a lot of the characterization and quirkiness established in the first season, and turned things into a bland, predictable Soap Opera (in the worst possible way.) The show became plot-based instead of character based.

September 13 2009 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnzo

See I'm trying to compare Dirty Sexy Money to Desperate Housewives and trying to explain why one succeeded and one failed.

They have so many similarities and very few differences. Take a look:

1. Large ensemble cast; some known, some not.
2. Inherent sexual factor known in title
3. Short story lines and long season long mystery
4. Attractive people attached

Differences:

1. DH was on at 9pm and was heavily marketed by ABC that year as the best show on the air. DSM was on at 10pm and marketing well, but definitely not as prominently.

2.DH was focused in storytelling and each story mattered in some way. DSM's storylines were scattered and even sometimes random/inconsequential.

3.DSM dealt with a strike; DH didn't.

4. DSM premiered during a exciting election cycle and terrible recession.

Okay... so that's my list. My answer as to why DSM failed would probably be because the storylines weren't as tightly knit as they could have been and possibly because there were too many characters and none really "popped" or "connected" with audiences. DH had very likeable characters that we sympathized with and generally cared about. DSM did not have any of that. We liked Nick George but he always succeeded in what he was doing so there was no sympathy to build on. And it's also possible that audiences didn't want to watch a filthy rich, fairly young cast, be bratty and snobby and rude, during a pretty dire economic recession and would rather watch a much better drama unfold in an exciting primary and then election.

September 13 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Yeah Ill be watching Season Nine, just to see how things to turn out :)

Season Eight was a return to form to be honest after a few luck lustre seasons in comparison.

Cheers