September 30, 2014

Defying Gravity, we hardly knew ye

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 14th 2009 12:30PM
defying gravity
It seems like not even two months ago, I was interviewing Ron Livingston about his exciting new ABC drama, Defying Gravity (probably because it was about 6 weeks ago), and now it's gone. After airing only 8 episodes, ABC has just announced that last night's episode of Gravity would be its last.

Although ABC hasn't given any official word about its cancellation, it wasn't as though it came as much of a surprise, given the show's troubles from the very beginning. According to Ace Showbiz, "It premiered to only 3.83 million viewers on August 2 and the number has constantly deteriorated since then. Last week, ABC has excluded listing Gravity on the schedule after the September 13 episode but did not give explanation to that."

The fact that everyone from the show's producers to its actors kept on describing Defying Gravity as "Grey's Anatomy in space," probably didn't help matters much either. I've seen most of the episodes, and while it could have done with a lot less Grey's-like twinkly music to signify emotions, it was a perfectly passable summer show. Luckily, for all of you fans out there, SlashControl has all of the episodes available to view online.

What do you think? Are you sad to see it go, or are you amazed it lasted this long?

me

Watched all 13 episodes and it doesn't become any clearer - as you would expect it leaves the path open for next season, which might still happen. That will depend on part in the ratings it achieves in Canada and the UK (the BBC in the UK have just started airing it and it got a decent advertising before it started, so who knows?)

I really enjoyed it and although it had soap opera / lost moments with the romantic entaglements and flashbacks at least it was, at core, sci-fi. The whole flashback / entaglement angle I reckon was added in the thought that it might attract more viewers, but unfortunately ended up losing viewers instead. And unlike Lost it didn't reveal enough each episode to make people watch the next one. It was actually based on / inspired by the BBC miniseries Space Odyssey: Voyage To The Planets which was unsurprisingly itself cut short by the US networks!

Hopefully the figures on the BBC (currently it has about 7% of the audience share on its' timeslot in the UK, whereas in the US it never got above 4) and in Canada (can't find up to date viewing figures for Canada) will push it through for another season - not least cos I'd like to see what happens next!

At least Flashpoint got renewed for another season - a show I was sure would get killed off (even if it's not science fiction!)

October 25 2009 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Pen

Personally, I like this show. It's now got an unofficial forum. Check it out: http://www.gravityforums.com/

October 20 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Man, I cant believe it's canceled! I really liked it and was bursting to know what the artifact was that they had on board. Lets send the ABC execs NUTS!

October 02 2009 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cp

all the interesting shows get cancelled. very lame.

September 29 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krabat

Kind of lame beginning to the show: it took them too long to get to the interesting stuff - I mean 8 eps to establish these stereotype characters!? It IS a story driven plot - why not just come out and say so?! Let the characters develop in and around all the wrenches, you can throw in the gears in a SUPER plot that keeps evolving - as THIS has every oportunity to do!! I mean ----SPOILER AHEAD

beta organisms connected all over the Solar system! Put there, evolved there, what ever - it could be the 2012 cataclysm with a chance for everyone to survive, if they could just... connect the dots, gather the betas (agains overwhelming ALIEN odds - has to be som antagonists in this plot - it's way too not-dangerous... because it is STORY driven, not character driven!)

Keep in on the air and give the story writers their chance of a life time to evovle the story beyond the stars and into all of humanity's heart, dammit! It HAS potential!

September 28 2009 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I love this show. I'm really bummed that it's cancelled. I did read that the BBC and a Canadian station are involved as well as ABC, and they aren't canceling. I watched episode 9 online last night (sun) at www.ch131.com. Go to tv shows on the left side of the web page, then scroll down to the show.

September 21 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie G.

I watched and recorded every episode. In fact, this was the ONLY show I looked forward to watching each week.

I'm sure I'm echoing others here, but the networks seemed to have learned nothing from the whole Firefly debaucle. Intelligent, thought-provoking series like Defying Gravity need time to build an audience to justify the cost of production...and late Sunday nights in the summer is NOT the slot to do that. Talk about a death sentence.

Wake up, networks. Reality shows are not the future!

September 20 2009 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miki

Slahview does not have all the episodes. It is link to hulu.com which currently has 5 episodes ready for viewing. There have been 13 episodes filmed and only 8 have aired.

I really think this has the potential to be a really great show. The writing is good, the acting is good, the effects are seamless, and the overall story has been compelling so far. If this is it, I will be really disappointed.

I am so sick of televisions executives squashing good TV because of numbers. MASH, one of the longest running and most critically claimed TV shows of all time, almost didn't make it past its first season. If it wasn't for the wife of one of the executives who loved the show and begged for it to stay on the air, it would have died quickly. Executives need to stop all this rigamarole and start giving good shows a chance. At least give a new show more than a third of a season. (Yes, I still think of seasons as 24 episodes, and I with Execs did as well.)

Anyway, that is my vent.

September 20 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

they probably had to clear the airtime for some new moronic reality show. so frustrating.

September 17 2009 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

I believe my comment on it's debut was that it would last almost as long as Life on Mars.

September 16 2009 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply