August 22, 2014

Design Star: Will you watch the winner's new show?

by Mike Moody, posted Sep 14th 2009 9:30AM
design star, antonio, dan, hgtvSeason four of HGTV's Design Star came to an end last night with the final two designers completing the biggest challenge in the show's history. Antonio, known for his edgy designs and laid-back attitude, and Dan, the talented and sweet-natured kid of the bunch, both redesigned an entire house in only 44 hours.

Both designers were cool and confident throughout the challenge, and their final products were nothing short of stunning. These guys know their stuff, and they deserved to make it to the end of the show, beating out nine other contestants for a shot at their own series on HGTV. But there could be only one winner.

I'll admit it. I cheered when Antonio Ballatore walked away with the prize. Antonio's designs were always innovative, bold and exciting, and it seemed like the guy never met a space he couldn't transform into something unique.

Plus, his relaxed personality and punk rock style stand in stark contrast to the freshly-scrubbed, inoffensive faces that populate HGTV's design shows. He might not be everyone's favorite, but Antonio's show promises to be something unique for the cable network, and that's why I'll be tuning in. Are you looking forward to Antonio's new show?

Remember to vote for your favorite designer to win an online show (I'm voting for Dan).

Natalie

The judges made the best choice based on what they saw and I highly value their opinions. And also I thought that Antonio put the most on the line and won. If you don't take chances, how can you win? Antonio also had the most heart and soul. He is mature and brought the argument between him and Dan down in a calm understanding way even though Dan wanted to continue to argue as I remember. Antonio is the best and I look forward to watching his shows when they come out. I am sure he will be a tremendous success for HGTV.

December 06 2009 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lory

As a new viewer (BABY-boomers never get old. ergo the label), I liked Dans's work, too; but Antonio's work warms my heart since he is talented, playful with his design and colors, and has the experience to do the carpentry, too! How many straight guys actually understand the client's preferences and can execute a design to please them? I agree his language is rough, but he has a heart of gold.
Everytime I see a show on HGTV, I have yet to see a home or design intended for someone with a disability. Since Design on a Dime is one of his favorite shows, I believe Antonio could come up with an affordable design that would look good and be fuctional for someone with special needs, as well as for their "regular" friends.
I never did catch on to the rule "Don't talk to strangers," but I'm pretty good about, "If you don't have ANYTHING (vs EVERYthing) good to say, don't say anything at all." Some comments were written by people who never learned CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

October 15 2009 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rockie1316

I have to say I was very surprised they picked Antonio.
I never cared for him or his designs but have a lot of respect for the judges so decided to watch Antonio's first show and to me it was a disaster.
I didnt feel he had a great speaking manner for tv. Just kept saying he same things over and over. Ridicules, ridicules, ridicules. He just doesnt have it for me to watch his show. In all fairness I tried but no dice for this faithful watcher.
I feel there was a mistake made choosing this one. Sorry

October 06 2009 at 8:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sutton

All of the other seasons the fans picked the winner and then we got this one with the judges picking. WTF!

This will be the one design star winner that I won't watch. Plus this they said that Dan and Lonnie were both outpolling the eventual winner by 3-1 that should answer everyone who was going to end up the winner if the fans had the choice as in previous years.
Dan brought the show class and simple designs, while Antonio was crude and yes rude to everyone around him.

For now I have decided that HGTV has lost another viewer considering that the day after he wins he already had his first show on the air. It just looked like the fix was in that Dan could not be allowed to win.

Sad day for HGTV sadder for most viewers as show by 99% of the posts here who support Dan not the other guy.

October 02 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rosakw

Antonio came off to me as a bully and very self-absorbed....too much for his actual ability and talent. Dan was overall the best designer and personality. I was really disgusted with Candice (up until now my favorite HGTV hostess) and the way she gushed on and on about how 'tough' Antonio came across. In my opinion she acted like a little school girl with a crush!

September 30 2009 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Woody Autumn

No. I will not be watching Antonio's show.

I feel that the whole thing was a setup for Antonio to win from the very beginning.

I have lost a lot of respect for the judges of Design Star.

Dan was cheated out of something he earned.

Shame on the judges.

September 27 2009 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn

I find Antonio's design sense refreshing, quirky and fun. I will watch his show, even if I didn't really like parts of his own house, or the green paint in the final challenge. He was certainly creative enough to make me want to see what he does next.

September 23 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol

I was thrilled when Antonio won. He is fresh, a little in your face, and passionate. I have watched all four seasons of Design Star and am an admitted design junky. I found this season the most riveting. He won my heart when he refused to paint a tan wall on a military base! Will I like all his designs? Probably not. Will I watch his show? Every time it is on the air!! Good work HGTV. And by the way, I am a 61 year old who loves the spirit of this man. That for me goes a long way.

September 22 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharon meyette

As a graphic designer/illustrator myself, I looked at the work done by Antonio & Dan, over the span of the show...not just the finale. Overall; Antonio has been consistently more creative, not afraid, to take chances. Based on what I saw, week after week, I hoped Antonio would win. I'm shocked to read, such negative comments, about Antonio! Personally; I don't find him arrogant at all, but rather, he just knows who he is & is true to his design sense. He's not afraid to think outside the box, yielding, some cool interior designs. THAT'S WHAT ART IS! I also found it interesting, that Antonio, was an excellent carpenter! Doing alot of the work himself, unlike, so many of the other contestants. He's the whole package! As with any profession, if you know your craft from the bottom up, you're always more successful...a more rounded craftsman.
I watched "The Antonio Project" & felt, it gave me a better sense, of who Antonio is. Seems like a great guy; warm; loving towards others; great sense of humor. I look forward, to watching his show & seeing, some great designs! Wasn't too crazy, about HIS house, but then it's HIS! It's who he is! HE has to live there, just as we all, live in our own spaces with our own ideas!
shar

September 21 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

I am very disappointed that Antonio was chosen. I did not see his show last night, on purpose. I only saw some of the rooms when my sister called to ask if I saw the hideous makeover, so went to the site to see pictures. Is HGTV serious about having this guy on his own show? Will he look like he does now? I will never watch it. He is not real world. I have watched every season and David Bromstad is the only real designer who got a show. Even Kim "Myles of Style" was trashy...and she was another not formally trained designer. You wanted to expand your viewership, HGTV? Sorry you achieved the opposite.

September 21 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply