August 29, 2014

Guiding Light: the openings

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 14th 2009 8:04AM
Guiding Light ends this Friday. I'll have a full review up after the episode airs, but I thought this would be a good time to show not how it ends but how each episode began. Here are some of the many opening credits that the show has had over the past six decades.

The show started on TV in 1952 (from radio). Here's the 1953 opening:

Ah, 1956. With organ music and an Ivory Soap ad (of course!).

Not much of an opening in 1966. Some organ and then right into a commercial:

This opening is from the mid-70s. Very mellow and, well, 70s-ish. Sort of like a tampon commercial.

The 1982-83 version. The opening scene dissolved into Disco Guiding Light. I like it, though. It's one of my favorites.

This one is from 1985. Very modern, but slower and moodier:

From 1992:

This is the lame 2002 opening. Yes, that's Joan Collins as Alexandra. What a disaster that was.

From 2005:

And here's the current opening. I hope they use one of the older ones in the last episode. That would be a nice touch.

betty

I WATCH THE GUIDING LIGHT WITH MY GRANDMOTHER SINCE I WAS IN SCHOOL IN 1958 AND NOW I RECORD THE STORIE EVERYDAY FOR ME AND MY DAUTHER,

September 20 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joshua Braxton

I have watched Guiding Light since 1982. My mom watched before that. Once Reva came on it was "Must See TV" EVERYDAY!! Now they're canceled it..WHY?? Why do the 'powers that be' think if everything isn't # 1 it needs to go?? Someone HAS to be at the bottom. It's not that the show isn't good, it's the time slot!! Why couldn't you be happy knowing you were making millions of people happy everyday knowing they had an escape for an hour?? An hour a day to relax and see how the people of Springfield were doing? It TOTALLY SUCKS that it got canceled. I have talked to many people about boycotting CBS since they thought 'screw you' and canceled it, I say 'screw you' and NOT watch ANYTHING on CBS!! Who cares if they lose ratings? They don't care about the viewers!! That show has been on longer than most of the people alive in the world today, and some Greedy people decide to take it off and the h*ll with the millions of people that LOVE IT!! I see next week 'The Price is Right' is replacing it....WHO CARES? That show isn't as good as it was either. And I guess they're going to eventually replace it with "Lets Make a Deal"...how many times has THAT showed been canceled already because it couldn't cut it?!?! I say screw CBS....watching Guiding Light is the last time I wathc CBS!! It's too bad another network like NBC wasn't smart enough to pick it up. Now I have lost another entire family. I watched it 3 years ago with my mom & she passed away during the show. She watched it faithfully. Now it, like my mom, is GONE, Thank you CBS FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!
Joshua B.

September 18 2009 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

next up on the chopping block As the World Turns, the Days of our Lives ? ? ? ? ?

September 15 2009 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

Ahhh, yes! The Tony Reardon karate kick from the 80s! Classic. Actually, ALL the Reardons! The 80s was when As the World Turns added the Snyders, too, I think. Everybody wanted a low rent family. Loved all those scenes with Claire and Fletcher and Mo in South America in the open.

Despite watching this show since the 60s, I think the most memorable open for me as the 1992 that ends with Harley dancing. I liked the music of it.

Guiding Light was my Grandma's "story," after all. We would sit down and take a break from school and chores at 3 every afternoon, have a snack and watch G-L. Good times.

September 14 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Being born in '52, I remember it was one of my mother's favorites and recall it being just 15 minutes and ran at around lunchtime with I think 'As The World Turns' as the other 15. I would see it with my mother when I came home for lunch. It is sad to see it go.

September 14 2009 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply