October 2, 2014

Is Kanye West MTV's biggest monster, or is it all for show?

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 14th 2009 10:30AM
Taylor SwiftBy now you've probably heard about the giant Kanye West brouhaha that happened at the VMA awards last night. I actually heard about it when I got on Twitter right after it happened, and it felt as though the very Internet was going to melt from the inside out, leaving us all twitching in a puddle of rage directed at people whom we will never meet.

I tried to piece together what had happened, and from the responses I was reading, it seemed as though Taylor Swift went up to get her VMA, then Kanye West set her dress on fire, ripped off his clothes, and showed everyone his "Beyonce 4 EVA" tattoo located in a very family-unfriendly place. Then, I'm pretty sure he peed on like, a statue of Jesus or something.

So once I saw the video of what actually happened, imagine my surprise when it turned out all he did was make an ass out of himself on live television. Because, you know, the fact that Kanye West would do that is the BIGGEST SHOCKER OF ALL TIME.Pink, who was sitting in the audience tweeted (presumably from her seat), "Kanye West is the biggest piece of shit on earth. Quote me." So what did he do to earn such a title? He was rude to Taylor Swift.

Now I know that Taylor is only 19, and she was super-excited, and Kanye West is in his 30's and should know better. But dudes. He got up there, took the mic, apologized to Taylor and said that Beyonce had one of the greatest music videos of all time. He then gave the mic back to Taylor, and left the stage.

Was it the classiest thing in the world? No. Does it make him worse than Hitler? I wasn't a History major, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. In fact, if you ask me, the whole thing looks kind of staged.

Kanye West is all about publicity, and the MTV is all about crazy stunts. It was just the beginning of June when people were freaking out because Bruno teabagged Eminem-- until it turned out to be a hoax. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came out in a day or two that Taylor Swift, Kanye West, and Beyonce were all in on this. Beyonce and Kanye love publicity, not to mention the fact that "Single Ladies" was a pretty good video, and Taylor Swift has a sense of humor.

Whether it's a hoax or not, this is going to be in the news for the next week, at least. My prediction is that at the end of the week, all of the indignant blustering is going to look pretty embarrassing.

Watch the video and decide if it's a hoax or not for yourself, and when/if you should start burning Kanye West in effigy.

<a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/2009/" target="_blank">Kanye West Storms The VMA Stage</a>

Mj

I like how racism is still being brought up in today's society, when it's not even white against black! Today is more Black against everybody else! I'm not racist by any means! but you cannot help to see how far Blacks take comments out of context and try to bully and belittle people. I still do not see how Kanye is still invited to these events for MTV? that's 5 award shows he had made a complete fool of himself. Why because he did not win? He is a sore loser and his music sucks except for maybe 2 songs! It's pretty ironic how people once they make a little money how fast they forget they're roots and believe they are better then everybody else!

September 16 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen Campbell

...or he's friends w/Jay Z or wants to work w/him etc...and showed his allegiance my glorifying his wife/girlfriend beyonce in a dramatic, tv moment...;-)

September 16 2009 at 4:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MightyPen

This is nothing new for Kanye -- his whole schtick these days is acting like a douche. As long as he apologizes, right?

September 15 2009 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete Berwick

It was a hoax and you have all been had. Can't you see? It is obvious. Most of the world could give a rat's ass about this awards show, and the desperate money hungry music industry, which sees it's CD sales going straight to hell, concocted this, and now the world is talking about it and watching the videos in question. Kayne West lands on Jay Leno's show next day, and I gaurantee Swift and beyonce's CD sales take a nice jump. Even The President has weighed in.
The saying goes, and is pretty much true that bad publicity is better than no publicity. I am a vityually unknown artist. I'd love for The President Of the United States to call me a jackass. He can call me anythinbg he want's, cause whatever it is doesn't matter as it would drive millions of people to my website to discover who I am. Don't be naive folks, I know how the music buisiness thinks. This is the age of not-so- reality tv and shocking videos. It is easier than ever to be fooled into what is real and what is not.
The world is sypathising for poor little Taylor. Boo Freakin' Hoo. This will drive her CD sales because people are suckers for this. The stunt was used to play on the emotional fact that when someone is humiliated like this, they want to help, and people will do so, many who even don't know who she is, just to help. Her barbie doll mug has been in my face for the last couple years and I virtually want to puke when I see it. She ain't country, she is a Disney manufactured teeny bopper hack, singing a hijacked and bastardized form of 'country' which is really just sugary pop with some fiddles thrown in.
The music industry is in a very desperate state and knows what it is doing with these shows. How many hundreds of thousands of websites like this are writing about this?
Do you know how much advertising on television costs? Normally award shows like this get mentioned in the news the next day.
Well now it's a major story that will be talked about for years to come. You cannot buy that sort of publicity.

September 15 2009 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LI

I do not think it was a stunt because I do not see how come West would choose publicity but only to gain people getting angry, losing fans.

I do not know what made West do this but one thing is for sure, it's not the first time either. It happened once on MTV Europe Awards but it was not as serious as this was, this was down right hurtful towards someone that did not deserve it.

I think West may have issues that none of us know of, if he did drink a lot then that may be his problem, he should stay away from alcohol.

I think he needs to get himself together before he ends up in ruins. This is how it usually starts with artists that are becoming self-destructive, they become "rude" until they no longer can control themselves. There were two people that got hurt, it was Swift but it was also West.

September 15 2009 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eilangel47

if Beyonce had won and someone came up on stage to say something, they would have been knocked to the ground. BS there was no security

September 15 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brockford

beyonce had known in advance that she won vid of the year, otherwise taylor would not have been already backstage waiting for her cue to come out. we can assume that west, being nominated in the same category, also knew that his close friend beyonce would win the big one. why then would he sweat best female video?

the fact that the outburst happened at the evenings first award presentation and the redemptive "feel good " moment at the finale, are further proof of a surprisingly well scripted drama.

also, west appears the night after on the premier of what nbc needs to be a giant hit. leno asking about kanye's dead mother can't be too good for ratings right? the connections between nbc universal and viacom mtv networks are obvious and well documented.

that being said, i watched both the vma's and leno in their entirety and loved the whole thing. an offstage, multi-venue soap opera with an evil villain, a beautiful hero and a young damsel in distress? that my friends, is good television.

September 15 2009 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

Can you imagine how egotistical you would have to be, and what a monumentally distorted sense of entitlement a person would have to have to feel justified in crashing the stage, taking the microphone from a legitimat award winner and proceeding to burden us all with your personal thoughts and opinion on who should have won the award? Everyone has their own opinion and are entitled to express them in an appropriate manner, but to have such an inflated sense of the importance of your own views that you feel it is justified to intrude on a nationwide broadcast of an award show takes someone with some seriously narcissistic issues.
I dont think Taylor Swift should feel humiliated or embarassed by this incident. She is just the an innocent victim who did nothing wrong. Kanye West is the one who humiliated and embarassed himself and made a complete fool of himself. Again. It happens to often with this guy for it to be a momentary error in judgement or a case of too much to drink, or whatever his latest excuse may be. This is who Kanye is. A jerk, an ignoramus and a person whose self esteem far outstrips any talent he might have. His apologies ring hollow. The real Kanye is the ranting idiot we saw on stage at the VMAs.

September 15 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grandiousharvas

I would believe this to be a hoax...
...but if we remember three years back in 2006 at the European MTV Music Awards, Kanye lost to Justice (the French DJs) in the category of Best Video.
He had nothing better to do than crashing the stage, interrupt the winners and proclaim that his video was better.
So I definitely think that Kanye screwed it up AGAIN. Some guys just won't learn.

September 15 2009 at 5:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Not only does this disgust me but it also took attention away from the tribute to Michael Jackson the man who helped put MTV on the map and also broke down the racial barrier at the network which is why black artists music videos have been played on that network for over 25 years!!!!

September 15 2009 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply