July 29, 2014

King of the Hill's finale ends the way all good comedies should

by Danny Gallagher, posted Sep 14th 2009 2:10AM
King of the Hill's 13 year finale
The one-hour, two-episode King of the Hill finale should stand not just as the end of a great show that never got the attention it deserved, but as a finale that tried not to seek that attention.

The show came to a rather quiet end last Sunday during Fox's "Animation Domination" block that has done just that, thanks in part to brilliant shows like King of the Hill. It featured two episodes that treated their audience to some of the characters' humorous and heartfelt changes before sending it off into the depths of the TV land vaults.

Then it slapped them back into cold, harsh reality by following it up with an all new episode of nature's cruel mistake Family Guy, but that's hardly Mike Judge's fault.

The first of the two episodes featured everyone's favorite underdog who isn't a dog, Bobby Hill, trying to score a date for his homecoming dance and ending up in the evil clutches of three "perfect 10" 8th graders who callously lead Bobby by the nose for their own amusement.

The second and stronger of the two again focuses on Bobby, who has always been in my mind the series' strongest and funniest character, finding his love of eating and grading meat his true calling and ultimately earning the admiration of his father, Hank.

The episodes didn't take the usual road to a long-running series finale by having the Hills pack up and move out of Arlen into the next phase of their lives or in some other predictable manor. It kept the characters honest, true and humble in their own unique ways and sent the audience off exactly where they started -- by being funny and fresh without being cheap or crass in their caricatures.

It actually made me wish I was reviewing another season premiere instead of a series finale.

Morey Ladini

The cartoon characters of KOtH seemed more real than most of the one-dimensional, (if flesh-and-blood), SitCom characters. It really did walk a fine line in sympathetically flawed characters, without being overly preachy or stereotyped.

Saying that, I would also say that Bobby was among my LEAST favorite characters, followed closely by Cotton and Luane.

September 18 2011 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oooh_eric

KOtH is far and away my favorite cartoon. I found the show especially charming because of the relatability oh the characters. I'm not crazy about the first couple of seasons, when the stereotypical accept was way over the top, but once it was toned down, I began to truly enjoy the show. It was always funny to me how proud Peggy was of her work as a substitute teacher and how much Hank enjoyed selling, using, and discussing propane. All of the characters contributed to the show in various ways. However, the show definitely took a turn for the worst with the introduction of Lucky and Lue Ann's pregnancy. It totally ruined her CCILF persona. All in all, it was a solid series that I will sorely miss.

July 23 2011 at 6:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M

Are you ******* kidding me? Take Mike's cock out of your mouth.Mike Judge hasn't done anything worthy of even mentioning since Beavis and Butthead.King of the Hill makes me want to anally rape his wife and set her on fire right in front of him.He doesn't even approach mediocrity for **** sake.King of the Hill is so ******* terrible I get the irrational urge to punch my TV.No wonder TV and movies are utter ****.With ******* monkeys like you watching these shows I'm gonna have to start watching PBS for **** sake.

April 28 2011 at 5:42 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to M's comment
oooh_eric

Chill pill?

July 23 2011 at 6:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

Boomhauer's badge definitely said "Ranger". I haven't watched KoTH in a while so I could only guess at the significance of that pan over to his wallet.

I googled around and saw some folks at tv.com forums observing that his driver's license also said "Texas Dept. of Public Safety", and that his original backstory had been that he was "on disability from the Texas Rangers, probably due to being injured in the line of duty, and that is why he never appeared to have a job, nor felt the need to work."

September 18 2009 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Lawler

I'm glad they included a Chuck Mangione appeareance.

September 16 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robdawgie

Boomhauer could have been a Texas Ranger. I know that in the episode where the guys have a focus group about the new lawnmower Boomhauer says he's getting disability.

I really, really love this show. At least Futurama is coming back....that softens the blow a bit.

I will say, however, that the show went a little bit south introducing Lucky and killing off Cotton, arguably the funniest character.

September 16 2009 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeWitt

Did we know Boomhauer was a Texas Ranger before the finale?

September 15 2009 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

What's funny about the pointing monkey is that it is not in any way the same joke every time. We see a new side of the monkey every time he appears.

That said, there is no either/or here. Both shows are good in very different ways. If you only like one of them, your sense of humor is incomplete.

September 15 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

What a great series finale. I remember when Seinfeld went off the air, which turned out to be a huge let down. I agree that father and son tension was one of the driving forces of that show, and the way that Mike Judge brought it to a conclusion was spectacular. Nothing too obnoxious, but for true fans it was a gratifying experience. I will truly miss this show. I can't believe they canceled it for an opportunistic, desperate spin-off series like "The Cleveland Show." Hopefully, The Cleveland Show will get worse ratings than a PBS phonathon during the super bowl.

September 14 2009 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ben's comment
Paul

The saddest part is what it is being replaced by... another bowl of hot steaming crap.
Family Guy is ok sometimes, rarely clever or funny, but it does have its moments.
American Dad... does anyone actually like this show?
The Cleveland Show... wow, yet another talking animal who talks like another entry from "Easy Accents for Nerds", and what's this? A wisecracking talking baby! How novel!

At least FOX has truly come full circle after canceling FG seemingly decades ago -- it has become very much like FG after all, never afraid to keep going to the same well for entertainment.

And now Ellen is on American Idol... FOX is losing touch with its audience.

September 15 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ggm

I saw the last episode but missed the previous one. It was a good way to end. I used to watch it a lot more, but over the past few years I only have watched an episode here or there. I was wondering if I had just missed a fact somewhere about Boomhauer being a cop / Texas Ranger.

I hope now they will finally release the remaining seasons on DVD. They last released Season 6 in 2006 and stopped after that. That leaves 7 seasons that are not released. I need to watch all of the ones I have missed.

September 14 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply