True Blood: Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (season finale)
by Jane Boursaw, posted Sep 14th 2009 5:00AM
(S02E12) "You may be the strongest, oldest vampire in my queendom, but if I wanted, I could own your fangs as earrings." - The Vampire Queen to Eric
We've come to the end of season two of True Blood, and I'm glad to see the Maryann storyline end (this is no spoiler; Alan Ball talked about it in my interview with him; and yes, Michelle Forbes is a fantastic actress). On the other hand, I'm sad to see True Blood ending and will wait impatiently for season three to start.
But this finale brought an end to a few storylines and set things up nicely for new ones in season three. After the jump, the episode review and your comments. Don't click through if you haven't watched the episode yet!
First, let's talk about Maryann's storyline. As mentioned, I won't miss it, even though Michelle Forbes is a great actress. Early in the season, Forbes said in an interview that she didn't believe Maryann was evil, and I sort of get that now. When Sam as the horned beast stabbed her, I was both cheering and feeling bad for her. She seemed to really believe that she was the one to be sacrificed at that moment. But thank God she's gone! And by the way, I'm not that sorry to see Eggs go either. The fact that he's the heart-cutter seemed a little anti-climactic. I think I sort of knew that in the darkest part of my heart.
But thank God Sam is ok! I knew something was up when he and Bill were conversing before the whole wedding scene went down. I figured they had it worked out to where Sam would take the fall and then be healed by Bill's blood. It will be interesting to see how that connection plays out next season.
As for Sam, so he's off to find his birth parents -- Melinda and Joe Lee Mickens in Megnolia, Arkansas, according to the note written by his adopted father. Do you think they're shapeshifters, too? The adopted parents certainly didn't have much good to say about them. Nice scene: seeing Sam's bare-naked butt after turning back from the horned beast to a human. Oh my.
Oh, Sookie! If you'd only accepted Bill's proposal right away instead of running off to the bathroom to think about it and ponder your identity, maybe he wouldn't have been assaulted with silver and taken away. And who do you think is the culprit there?
We've got Hoyt telling off his mom for lying to him for so many years and going to apologize to Jessica. At the same time, Jessica is biting an unsuspecting trucker. Will they get back together next season? My money's on Yes.
I'm still loving Evan Rachel Wood as the vampire queen and think it's funny that she's hooked on Yahtzee. Not nearly enough Eric in this episode, but it sounds like that will change next season. Interesting that he told her, "I do not love humans," and that she's the one having him sell vampire blood.
- I like the little clicking sound the fangs make when they go in and out.
- Did you know Sheriff Dearborne is Larry from "my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl" on Newhart? That's the one with Mary Frann, not the one with Suzanne Pleshette.
- Gross that Sookie had to lick the ostrich egg. She's a trooper, though.
- Andy and Jason still make a pretty good team.
- "You might have your faults, Andy, but at least you got pants on." - Sheriff Dearborne to Andy
- "It took me this long to realize it, but you suffer a lot more hiding something than you do if you face up to it." - Sam to Bill
- "Mr. Merlotte took us to see some vampires ... and one of them could fly!" - Arlene's kids to Arlene
- "Yep, I'm pretty sure he's dead." - One of Arlene's kids on where Rene disappeared to, after Arlene gives a vague answer
- "Never say never when there's the Internet." - Sam to his adopted mother
I also loved the girl-chat in the bar, talking about how they'd heard Maryann was an agent of the pharmaceutical company who'd poisoned the water supply with LSD, "and that's why i stick to mountain dew."
And this about Sam: "God bless who made those jeans. I'm serious. I'd wear him like a scrungee."
And did you notice Charlaine Harris?
Your thoughts on the finale?