December 20, 2014

HGTV: Antonio Ballatore's house is kind of a dump

by Mike Moody, posted Sep 16th 2009 7:03PM
anonio ballatore hgtv design starA lot of you made your feelings heard about Antonio Ballatore winning this season of Design Star by commenting on a post I wrote earlier this week. The scruffy and tattooed LA. designer has tons of fans (just check out his Facebook page), but a lot of HGTV watchers couldn't warm up to his unconventional designs and slacker dude persona.

Me? I'm a fan. The guy is obviously talented. I like his edgy designs and his laid back everyman attitude. His new show, The Antonio Project, will definitely be something different for HGTV. It won't be for everybody, but it'll be refreshing to see a guy like Antonio host a show on a cable network mostly populated by dull yuppie types.

The HGTV Web site has a preview of this Sunday's premiere of The Antonio Project. The former set designer will have to redesign his own home in five days. By the looks of his house, the network is doing Antonio a favor. The place looks like a crime scene or an abandoned strip mall. Head after the jump to see a pic.

antonio's house hgtv

What's the deal, Antonio? Is "'90s crack house style" all the rage in L.A. these days? (I kid, I kid.)

The Antonio Project premieres Sunday at 10 p.m.

babar

not again a whole hour of what is bad in design by the one who is trying to prove he is macho

December 13 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RW in LGB

Ballatore is a mook douchebag tool riding the current wave of douchebag tools cluttering the airwaves (and yeah I'm looking at YOU, Guy "Off the Hook" Fieri!) with their oh-so-edgy fake street cred, over-inked flabby bodies and idiot catchphrases. Granted, some women with extremely low standards and no self-esteem just love these kinds of pseudo-dangerous frat boys and drop their panties at such asshat antics-- they're posting here, I see!-- but I'm guessing that most people will watch this show to follow the unfolding trainwreck that will be Ballatore's TV and home-design careers.

Sorry, kids, but this guy's work is in-your-face BAD. If his house was once a crackhouse, it now looks like a crack DEALER lives there. That is, just as tacky, but marginally cleaner.

Still, with all those losers Antonio hangs out with, the show should be called "Doughebag Design"!

October 05 2009 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsey

When I started watching this show, I knew that Dan and Antonio would be in the bottom 2, and this is because it seems to me that when they had group challenges, these 2 men were the ones that "built" the stuff, such as entertainment systems etc. They didn't always actually "decorate". So they never had to take the fall for any of the designs. That's just my personal opinion. And I didn't think that was fair at all. His home renovation- well, I didn't really like it, but that's just me. That may be his style, but I think that he could have done a much better job. I hated the bedroom the most, and the dresser- what the heck? That was just ugly. It kind of looked "thugish" NO OFFENSE to anyone! I don't wish that him or Dan won, but I will try out his new show. And I don't doubt that it will be different. I just hope that he has designs that we want to get online and get info on. Kind of like David on "Color Splash". He is a great designer. A little annoying, but great designer. Hope the new show works out anyhow.

October 04 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meekorouse

This was the most disappointing season of Design Star. I thought Antonio was rough & abrasive and didn't understand why he was still there at the end. Dan wasn't that good either but between the two he was the lesser of two bad designers. Would it be so bad if there weren't a winner one season?? They picked so many mediocre people. I think it would have been fine if there were no winner.

That said though, I watched the Antonio Project hoping to see how much they polished him up for the viewing public. Doesn't look like they did much of anything.. He was very chatty.. and yes, if I heard him say "recon" one more time I wanted to throw a shoe at the TV.

Also, what real design did he do?? I guess I was expecting a layout and explanation of why he wanted what he wanted and the placement of things.. Even if you're doing it for yourself there should be a reasoning behind it other than it "looks cool." I won't be watching the new show.. I've seen enough.

September 29 2009 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
celeste

I am so glad Antonio won. Antonio can charm the chair out of anyone's showroom. As a host, he is entertaining and warm. He presents a fun, more playful aspect to design than a lot of the other shows do. Although not everyone will agree with Antonio's style, I think he is extremely innovative. You may not want to put pink ducks on your wall, but at least now you can think more three-dimensionally about your own walls. As well, you may not want a "tequila chick" (heheh...I think they made him change it to "tequila girl" the last few times he referred to it) as a headboard, but what a great idea it is to have a local airbrush artist make something interesting for your wall...no matter what your style. Antonio just thinks outside the box. I can't wait to see what he designs for clients other than himself and to learn what other innovative ideas he has in store. I like the diversification that Antonio brings to the roundup of home shows. I don't think HGTV, in endorsing Antonio, is saying "this is the way design should be." I think what they're trying to say with Antonio is "let's have some real fun," and "look at all the creative and innovative ideas you can use here." Antonio is a little bit of a wild card, and he will surely bomb at times and he will surely have moments of pure genius. That, as they say, folks, is entertainment.

September 28 2009 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

Shame on all of you for not understanding the fact that on The Antonio Project he was designing for his own home and his personal tastes. HE was his client; and isn't the idea to make your client happy and do what your client wants? That is how Antonio wants HIS house. Do you really think he's going to put a sombrero chick in everyone's bedroom? No!

Just like he did on DS, he is going to cater his design to his clients needs. I would gladly have Antonio come and design any room in my home.

Also, I would much rather watch Antonio's "dudes" and "sups" than put up with Dan's nervous laughter for an hour.

September 27 2009 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garrett

I love how some people think that their personal taste grants them the right to bitch. Let people be individuals you narrow minded haters.

September 27 2009 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary H. Lee

I enjoyed Antonio throughout the HGTV competition and felt he stood out from the pack.

The personal design choices he selected for his own house is his own individually and not necessary for what viewers may want for themselves. I was amazed in the five days, everything was able to come through for him.
He should be congratulated on that.

I would also like to comment, Antonio may not be aware that many of the viewers may feel offended by comments he makes about women.

I will be watching his show to catch some of the improvements he plans for others to help their lives.

September 23 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul

not sure yet how i feel about him ! he's not affraid to take risk that i like as far as his home well its just that its his home ...so his taste ..i say give him a chance lets see where he takes us! goodluck

September 23 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JUDI

TONY NEEDS TO QUIT USING THE WORD RECON SO DANGED MUCH.. I BET HE USED IT 100 TIMES DURING SUNDAY NIGHTS SHOW.
HE NEEDS TO ALSO SOFTEN UP HIS PERSONA... HE IS TRYING TO COME OFF AS A TOUGH GUY AND IT'S JUST NOT HAPPENING.. LOOKIN A BIT ILLITERATE AND NOT PERSONALLY CLEAN MOST TIMES ACTUALLY.
HIS STYLE IS JUST THAT HIS STYLE.. NOT MINE OR ANY OF THE PEOPLE I KNOWS STYLE.. BUT HE IS IN CALIFORNIA WHERE ANYTHING GOES I GUESS.

September 22 2009 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply