December 20, 2014

President Obama to appear on Letterman this Monday

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 16th 2009 10:00AM
President Barack ObamaWriting about this is just asking for trouble from the more politically extreme, but it's television news so I'm writing about it. President Barack Obama will be appearing on The Late Show with David Letterman this coming Monday, Sept. 21. He is the sole guest and will take up the full hour of the program.

It is the first time a sitting U.S. President will be appearing on Letterman's CBS show. Obama is likely trying to promote his new health care reform. Usually a television appearance like this one is reserved for those on the campaign trail for the office. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Why stop with Letterman? He could stay another hour on CBS and appear on Craig Ferguson. And why not appear on Leno's new show? Or Conan? Or Jimmy Fallon? Or even Jimmy Kimmel? However, the President is likely a busy man and doesn't want to spread himself too thin. Letterman will do for now.

setay

I don't mean to point out the obvious; I realize you're being sarcastic, but you do realize that Letterman and Ferguson are taped on opposite sides of the country right?

September 16 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Personally, I think Obama on Craig Ferguson would be a more interesting show. Yeah, part of the reason is because I think Letterman's past it and I enjoy Craig more.

However, the primary reason is because of Craig's decision to become a naturalized citizen of the US early last year. Between that and Craig's general forthrightness, it'd have the potential to become an actual discussion of what's good about America in these troubled times, etc. as opposed to another round of "Health Care, Health Care, Rah! Rah! Rah!".

September 16 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I lost much of my respect for Letterman during the 2008 campaign. He used to poke fun at both sides equally and show respect for political guests from both sides of the aisle. Since McCain stood him up, though, he's been a totally different animal, wearing his liberal heart on his sleeve.

I expect an hour-long fellating. The best we can hope for is that Obama calls someone a "jackass" or makes a snide comment about the Special Olympics.

September 16 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melody Warbington

I meant to say I agree with rightmom above.

September 16 2009 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melody Warbington

So my previous comment "I just threw up a little in my mouth" is too extreme for you and you had to remove it? That makes me throw up a lot. Talk about not allowing any criticism of the great one. I agree with melody51 above. I just won't be reading TV Squad anymore.

September 16 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melody Warbington's comment
Rocketboy_X

Again, that's your own prejudice that makes you think that the line in the article is about consertitives. When, if you read it without looking for a chance to be offended, it's in reference to ANYONE who was looking to argue politics until they were blue in the face.

But as you don't read TV Squad anymore, you'll never read this.

Again, that reactionary BS like you just posted was the very thing that the blogger was hoping to avoid.

September 17 2009 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Hey folks.

I've just had to go through and delete a bunch of comments, so I'm instituting a new rule. Rather than having political rants overwhelm a television blog, I will delete any comment that is not related to Obama's television appearance and ONLY Obama's television appearance.

September 16 2009 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brad Trechak's comment
Rocketboy_X

You missed comment 2 & 3 up top.

September 16 2009 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Ungrey

Here's how this conservative will react to Obama being on Letterman Monday... oh, hi Conan! Who do you have on tonight? I simply won't watch. I'm a huge Letterman fan, even when he goes off on his left-wing bias and rants about Bush and Cheney. It's tired. And for those of you who say he still tells Clinton jokes, wake up. He's much rougher on Republicans than he is on Democrats. So I miss one episode and rejoin Letterman Tuesday.

September 16 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

"Writing about this is just asking for trouble from the more politically extreme, but it's television news so I'm writing about it." I guess you've bought into the spin of the White House and the liberal media's that anyone who disagrees with the great one is extreme. Here's an extreme idea for you. I will no longer be reading TV Squad. It's fine if you want to review the appearance, but to slam conservatives in the first sentence is showing your liberal bias.

September 16 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melanie51's comment
Eric

He's not slamming conservatives - regardless of what an article is about, if there is mention of a politician, or even if there isn't, sometimes, crazies from both ends of the spectrum, and everywhere in between, decide that we all need to read their opinions.

September 16 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

It's sad that in this day and age, the only way our president can get time in front of people is on a night-time talk show.

Oh wait.

September 16 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

That sound? Yeah... it's my head hitting my desk.

September 16 2009 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply