August 23, 2014

What do you think of the changes on Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy?

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 16th 2009 5:08PM
Wheel of FortuneThe new seasons of both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy started this week, and while most of the games are exactly the same, both shows debuted a couple of new things that might have hardcore game show fans talking.

First, WOF. They're in Las Vegas this week, and the game hasn't changed except for one thing: they've gotten rid of the "Free Spin" card! This doesn't have the same impact as Darrin being replaced on Bewitched or William Petersen leaving CSI, but when you take something away from hardcore game show fans, they can get pretty rowdy. I don't know if that will happen here since "Free Spin" has been replaced by a "Free Play" space on the wheel. If you land on this spot, you get to do anything you want: choose a consonant, ask for a vowel, etc, and if you're wrong it's OK, you don't lose your turn.

James Poniewozik thinks this might be WOF trying to keep up with reality shows. Not sure if that's true (though I wouldn't be surprised), but I agree with him that the change wasn't needed.

As for Jeopardy, the game is the same but they did change how it looks and sounds. The biggest change is the set, which has been replaced with the set that they used for the Las Vegas shows last season. I'm not sure I like it. They seem to be getting away from the warmer sets of old and getting bigger and more modern. This new set looks like a combo of an airplane hanger, a convention hall, and the set of Tron. I don't think they need all of the futuristic stuff (like the different lights on the podiums), but the show has been on for decades so what do I know.

They've also changed the music that is used when they reveal the categories. Gone are the "bloop bloop bloop bloop" sounds (which I think they didn't have at all the past couple of seasons?), replaced by a more melodic sound.

the mailman

What do the 2nd and 3rd place winners on Jeopardy get?

December 14 2009 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mpotter

the biggest complaint i have about WOF is how now the friends and family don't stand up for the bonus round. they film these poor guys in their seats. which is not very attractive. i know if i were being on tv for 1min, i wouldn't want to be sitting down!
not only that but add to the fact the poor schlubs that are unfortunate to be sitting around them. THEY get on TV by accident! i'd hate to be one of those people for sure.

i'm not the biggest fan of the free play wedge. it throws people b/c when you choose to spin, you don't normally think of calling a vowel. plus the free spin was very helpful for the prize puzzle.
i don't really get how it adds to the game, nor how it helps the bottom line with money.

up until tonight, i thought they made the minimum for the bonus round $30k b/c that's the lowest i'd seen. but tonight the dude won the old $25k.

as for jeopardy- my peeve is that they have that huge tv solely designated for telling us the final category! alex doesn't even read it from that screen.
the only thing i can hope is that it portrays all the clues so the contestants can see it closer. let's hope it's not as superfluous as it seems.

October 13 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I saw two shows of Jeopardy this past week and I like the new set. I like the one long podium with the contestants' money amounts and the screens. I like the new white lines on the set floor; they got rid of the carpet so common the other 25 seasons. I like the new video wall with the categories and the answers. It matches perfectly with the HD-TV and thin TV screens that are popular now. I knew that the '80s-themed set needed to go and this new set fits with their direction. And the music is different--more orchestra type music this time instead of the bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop in the Final Jeopardy round.

October 04 2009 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken Chasteen

I have always wondered why WOF does have an electronic wheel-spinner instead of that unweildly way the contestants have to spin that monster; I'm sure they have had behind-the-scenes legal action if someone has strained a muscle or two.

September 27 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gail in Orlando

At least you can see Jeopardy when it usually comes on...the stinkin station in Orlando decides to cancel it for some local program and then shows WOF - or WOMorons as we call it. It's always a challenge to see if it is on @ 7:00. Mom and I enjoy the challenge of learning.

September 19 2009 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jolene

Love WOF - never miss it! I really like that they replaced the free spin with the free play. I think it is an improvement and gives the players more options. Pat Sajak is the best game show host ever!

September 18 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pauline

I would to see something done with Vanna's hair. It looks horrible. She also looks so tired.

September 18 2009 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
audrey

On Jeopardy I find the stripes on the floor keep drawing my attention away from the show itself. My problem I suppose.
i stopped watching WOF some time ago when the contestants couldn't seem to control the screaming.

September 18 2009 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Santino

I cannot believe it, they take away the spin. How can I now land on $1.00 to get $1,000, with extra chance to get $10,000. Is the worse day of my life, and last times I will watch this show.

September 18 2009 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me

you all need to get a life

September 18 2009 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply