November 26, 2014

Bones: Harbingers in the Fountain (season premiere)

by Hemal Jhaveri, posted Sep 18th 2009 12:02AM
Bones Season 5 Premiere
(S05E01)
I'm sure I wasn't the only person dumbfounded by the way last season left off, but not to worry, faithful fans! We're not in for an entire season of Booth With Amnesia as feared. In fact, we pick up season five of Bones six weeks after Booth's brain surgery, and things are pretty much getting back to normal. Not only is Booth recovering fine, he seems to have (thankfully) gotten over his temporary amnesia and remembers Brennan as his partner and not his wife.

Now, in that six weeks that Booth has been recovering from his operation, Brennan has been away herself, on a dig in Guatemala. So, I understand the reason for this contrived bit of story telling, but it really bothers me that Brennan would just pick up and take off after Booth just had brain surgery, and wasn't even out of the hospital yet. Not buying that one, writers.

Anyway, as Brennan returns, Sweets declares Booth fit for duty and the two are back to solving cases, which is exactly as it should be. The case for this episode involves a bunch of bodies buried under a fountain in DC. They're lead there by Angela's psychic, Avalon Harmonia, played to brassy blond perfection by Cyndi Lauper. She's especially good opposite David Boreanaz, and their scene on the stoop, when she's urging him to go save Brennen, was very well done. I'm not sure the pre-brain surgery Booth would have followed the psychic's advice, but it seems fitting that post-brain surgery one did.

The best parts of this episode were all about character development, especially for Booth. While he's physically fine from the surgery, he's still reeling from the emotional effects of the coma dream, and finds himself in love with Brennan(!). So, this is a development that all the fans have been waiting for, for some time now. I, for one, am happy with the way the card was played.

Of course, all the nay-sayers at the lab, mainly Sweets, convince Booth to clamp down on his new feelings as he may not be himself. Booth keeps his secret a bit longer, only confessing his platonic love to Bones with a friendly and very awkward punch in the arm. It's a lame cop-out for Booth, but it works for the show.

We all know that getting Bones and Booth together as a couple would ruin the dynamic, as was obvious in last season's finale, but there did need to be some advancement and acknowledgment of their feelings for one another. This keeps the will-they-or-won't-they tension of the relationship alive while moving it forward a peg, without compromising the dynamic. Are other fans happy with how it played out? I'm just relieved that we don't have to suffer through an amnesia storyline, so I'll take anything.

It is a great episode, and one that devotes a lot of time to Booth's love of silly socks. So, what does this mean for the rest of the season? Does Booth really love Bones? Is Bones really as fragile as everyone says? Think anything will happen with these two this season, or are we destined to wait and wait and wait?

Watch episodes and clips of Bones and other shows over at SlashControl.

tazelaar

I always believed that Brennan struggled with her feelings for Booth as Wyatt pointed out. However, I don't believe that Booth didn't know his feelings for Brennan. To me it's like they just change the character from the past 4 seasons. Countless times he has shown how much he loves her but all of sudden now he is in love with her.
I think they could easily show them in a relationship on this show if went back to good cases like they did the first few season.

I love the two of them ED and BD together, they have fantastic chemistry. Thank goodness because I could throttle the writes frequently especially during season 4.

October 20 2009 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

I loved the look on Bones' face when Avalon said something like "He knows the real you and he is dazzled."
Not the exact quote.
It was a real *awwwwwwwwww* moment; it just lit her right up.

September 21 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

WTF! Isn't Brennan the martial arts expert?! Didn't she spend season 1 kicking and shooting people?! Now she can't handle a single wierdo with a scalpel?! WTF!!!

September 21 2009 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

Bones's inability to relate to social cues is really getting on my nerves. Yes, we get it - she's a brilliant mind - but she really seems clueless. One would think that someone as "intelligent" as her would have read a book or two that would have clued her in.

It's kind of like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory, except that while he doesn't agree with certain social customs, he at least knows they exist (for example, giving gifts). But Bones just seems almost childlike in being so clueless.

September 19 2009 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

As much as I would love to see them get together, it's not killing me that they haven't. I enjoy the show and all the characters ( so glad Caroline is getting more screen time).
On another subject, did David Boreanaz look like somebody pooped him in the mouth? And coma diet?

September 18 2009 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SHANNON's comment
SHANNON

That'd be "popped" not "pooped". Stupid auto correct...

September 18 2009 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GirlFriday

I thought it was pretty brilliant how they subtly revealed (too subtle maybe to even call a revelation) that Brennan is the one who knows she is in love with Booth and that Booth is one that (up till now) didn't know he was in love with Brennan. So now we are in for a season of Booth trying to determine if he loved Brennan before his coma or if he loves her b/c of his coma.

I also agree that it is unrealistic that Brennan would leave while Booth was hurt unless- she was running away from the all too cozy reality of Booth's coma confusion making him feel about her exactly the way that she wishes he would. Back to her armor and self-preservation instincts when it comes to love.

I think that the Bones team could make a Booth and Brennan romance work. I for one would be really disappointed if they just got together in the series finale or something. I think after all the build-up the fans want to see how they would make it work together. The finale didn't work b/c the characters weren't themselves. I mean basically the whole series has been a lesson is how your experience shape the person you are. Booth and Brennan with totally different lives do not equal Booth and Brennan. So I don't think the akwardness of the finale is an indication that the romance couldn't work as a storyline.

September 18 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
una

I'm also no longer caring for the will they - won't they, it's getting too ridiculous. As if the breakup between Angela and Hodgins wasn't silly enough! Also, good writers might actually come up with some conflicts, even if they would finally come together. (Just like, you know, in real relationships ...)
But apart from that, this used to be a really good crime show. Lately, the cases are just lame and uninspired, which is the real crime to me. I'm going to dust off the Season 1DVDs and do some wallowing in grief.

September 18 2009 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
basil

I am tired of the will they won't they. The writers have brought this to the point of absurdity. Everyone (Booth, Brennen, and friends) know they love each other. Good writers should be able to make this work.

September 18 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

wow, lots to talk about in the season opener!
Cyndi did an excellent job of being brassy and mysterious. The nice part of all that is while she was suspect, she was still innocent at the end of the show, which means Angela gets to keep her psychic and opens a door for future episodes with "Avalon Harmonia" making guest appearance. Strange name though, sounds like an Amanda Quick heroine.

The uber catholic Booth would never have listened to a psychic and would have shied away from any information she gave. But because he has the capacity for blind faith, the lack of inhibitions he has for the moment allowed the premise to work.

It is possible the clown issue had something to do with the tumor. If he was seeing hallucinations maybe the evil clown was part of them. (he wasn't afraid of them , he HATED them.)

Temperence seems to have taken a couple steps back in her progress to understand the basics of human relationships. Last season she was beginning to comprehend a few double entendres and was being coached by Angela. This season she's more obtuse in her reactions to others. Maybe that has something to do with the trauma she just went through? I was really thinking last season the writers were dropping the ball with this show , but it seems this year they are really working to develop the story and not go off on silly shark jumping tangents.

Lastly,... If you want to keep the show running, you need to maintain the sexual tension between the lead characters. Once their relationship heads to the next level, you either have to break them up , or wrap the show. It's inevitable, but must be dragged out to keep the audience enthralled.

September 18 2009 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Call me a romantic but I would like to see them get together. The will they or won't they stuff gets old past the 4th season. While I did not care for last season's finale, one element that worked was them as a couple. The conversation they had going over the case and how all their employee's were committing crimes to protect them is an example on how this could work in their "real" lives.

September 18 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply