September 3, 2014

Community: Pilot (series premiere)

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 18th 2009 12:39AM
Community
(S01E01)
In a rather touching tribute to John Hughes, tonight's premiere of Community honored the director in the best way possible. By creating a great ensemble of individuals coming together to form a ... yes, that's the meaning of the title ... community.

I expected to like this show. Hell, the promos and early reviews made it a foregone conclusion. What I wasn't sure of was whether I'd like it because it had funny lines and jokes, or whether I'd like it because I cared about the people in it. It looks like the answer to that is going to be both.

The study group that Jeff accidentally pulls together to try and get into Britta's pants -- because why else would you form one -- is made up of just the kind of eclectic personalities you need to make a comedy like this work. Like Cheers, these are people from all different walks of life coming together.

The formula is so simple it's beautiful. The reason The Breakfast Club worked is because as different as those kids were on the surface, they were all people underneath it all. The same goes for Jeff's study group. Yes, the set-up for the series was a bit trite: he got caught in his lie, was ostracized, learned an important lesson toward becoming a better person, and everyone got together and hugged it out. Sort of.

With the set-up out of the way, we can start getting to know the players a bit better. And I'm really looking forward to getting to episodes beyond the scenes we've all seen ad nauseam while the NBC promotional machine jammed this down our eye throats. I want to get to know these characters better.

So far, Abed is standing out as the funniest of the group. I don't know if he has Asperger's Syndrome, but he's different. The funniest moment of the night came when everyone was mouthing to one another behind Jeff's back and in a moment of panic, Abed shouted out, concerned that he'd suddenly gone deaf.

We've barely scratched the surface of what this show is going to be about. We've yet to see anyone in class; they haven't even introduced Ken Jeong's character yet. All we've seen is the first study group session that surprisingly brought them all together as a team to face this challenge together. Now, I'm looking forward to their journey.

(Find clips, behind-the-scenes interviews and more over on SlashControl's Community page!)

itsy

Not bad, not great. Promising. Interesting cast, especially the motormouth guy and the blonde; she was The Hot Girl without being The Obnoxious Hot Girl.

Speaking of obnoxious.. I have never seen Joel McHale onscreen when he was not repellent. He's not funny, not interesting, not appealing.. why is he even there? Yeah and his character is a creep. So are they going to have A Very Special Episode in which he sees the error of his ways? yuck

Chevy is great but enough already with the too-clumsy-hands bits.. Really, incapable of putting a hot dog into a bun? There was too much of that particular shtick on SNL in '75 and it's still not funny 35 years later..

September 20 2009 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

When Abdel just randomly started saying the breakfast club line i lost it. Absolutely hilarious pilot!

September 20 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CommunityNBC

We at Community NBC loved the pilot!

September 19 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I tuned in after seeing promos because it reminded me a bit of The Office. It's pretty funny - I also thought the best scene was when Abed thought he was deaf. Also - the text message that the professor sent to Jeff (I don't remember what it was exactly).

I think Jeff's ability to talk himself out of any situation is probably because he is/was a lawyer - and their whole job is to be able to win an argument.

Sure, he's arrogant but it's funny because he doesn't (as least, not yet) get what he wants.

September 19 2009 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hotdogjack

Hey, steve rogowskey, no one gives a damn about your stupid webisode you made with your mom's camcorder.

September 18 2009 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hotdogjack's comment
Larry

Did you watch it? It's actually very good.

Well done, Steve.

September 18 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hotdogjack

September 18 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

I liked it well enough. I agree that the "am I deaf" scene was the best laugh of the show. I actually thought that was one of the best laughs I've had in a while - it felt original.

However, watching this show made me really lament the demise of Ted Dansen's "Help Me Help You." I was probably the only one watching that show, but I thought it was hilarious. I would love to have seen what NBC would have done with it instead of ABC.

September 18 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I thought this show was hilarious. I am definitely sticking around for the rest of the season and forcing my friends to.

September 18 2009 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

The commercials sold me. And what we got was exactly what we saw in the ads. Literally, I mean the ads for this show added together give you the whole pilot. That's my only gripe so far. I'm tuning in for more.

September 18 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

She's the same woman in almost every commercial ever!

September 18 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply