October 23, 2014

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: The Gang Exploits The Mortgage Crisis (season premiere)

by Annie Wu, posted Sep 18th 2009 11:26AM
always sunny cast
(S05E01) It's Always Sunny
is back and it's kicking your ass. Or at least it's threatening you and your wife until you start crying a little bit and agree to partake in the antics, and we wouldn't have it any other way. There were a lot of good moments in the premiere episode, though it didn't really feel like a typical season opener, in as much as it didn't present anything too big and different from the usual Always Sunny episode. Again, it was funny, of course, but it didn't scream "premiere", and perhaps that's the best thing for Always Sunny.

Honestly, a small part of me feared that five seasons in would be about the time the creators decided to give the show a mini-makeover, like some other shows. Make a fancier title design, drop "Temptation Sensation" for something specifically tailored to the show... I probably would have started shouting at the television (because we all know that's incredibly effective) if there was something like a wacky season five spruce-up of the opening credits. I still feel the sting of Weeds' almost-betrayal in my mind, when they dropped their catchy little theme tune for some crappy digital visual gags.

But I digress.

The members of the gang don't change, don't improve upon their selves, so why should anything be punched up and different on the show? Dropping us right into another terrible, greedy plot (which ends in a carefree chicken fight in someone else's pool) is just perfect and maybe even a little reassuring, as if to let us know that it's still the show we love.

As always, whenever there are people suffering and feeling a little desperate, the gang sees a golden opportunity. In this case, it's the mortgage crisis, and in this episode, the boys decided to make a little cash from it. Dennis and Mac donned some blazers and got a little flirtatious and needlessly angry (respectively) to try and sell a house they technically didn't already have. One of the best parts of the episode was just Mac's confused fury-face after the confrontation on the stairs. I would also like to note that Mac could have removed the sleeves from that blazer and totally pulled off that look.

Meanwhile, Charlie brushed up on some of his lawyer-ing skills, which somehow turned into him putting on his one go-to tie and challenging a real lawyer to a duel. I like how Charlie's illiteracy has now spiraled out of just crazy-scribbles to generously sprinkled malapropisms in his speech. Yeah. "Malapropisms." I totally paid attention to most of AP English.

Sweet Dee, on the other hand, essentially tried to sell her uterus as prime real estate to a couple looking for a surrogate. "You guys want to do the Octomom thing? I'm game. You want to out-do that bitch? I'll have that conversation! -- I'm kidding, I don't want ten people inside of me." Also, way to find an excuse to show off those abs. Kaitlin Olson, your lankiness is deceptive.

Frank was also there, accidentally severely burning children's hands and sending battering rams through gates. Usual Frank stuff.

Watch episodes and clips of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and other shows over at SlashControl.

Sandra

oops - my first paragraph was a comment on Eastwick - yikes I accidentally sent it - the Sunny in Phili is the second paragraph - sorry for confusion

September 24 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra

it reminded me a LOT of Desperate Housewives blended with that Alyssa Milano show Charmed, but I really like the actresses in Eastwick and hope it is able to survive for their sake. Don't think I will be watching it after the way too similarity to Desp Housewives, but I did want to see the season premier.

This is my favorite show! I was turned onto it by a small clip involving a cat on utube sent to me by a friend and WOW - I have been off the TV wagon for a long time (not a big reality show fan) but this show is fantastic! I am from NY and now live in Seattle, this humor was much needed in my life - FINALLY something clever, funny, talented to watch on TV! Thanks you to those who put this thing together. I rented from Net Flix season 1 and now onto season two and I have the show set to my DVR - I must say that if I did not know Danny DeVito was in it, not sure I would have given it the chance I did, but now I am very glad I did watch Season 1 (would have liked it no matter what star name was in it - got hooked with episode 1) and trying to catch up as fast as I can.

September 24 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lam

Deandra was a bit too Mac-like in this episode. I like her better when she's confused and fragile, like in the 'walking in Charlie's shoes' episode.

September 18 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amanda82977

The show afterwards was called the Archer. I was confused cause I was only expecting a clip, my DVR said that Sunny was going to be an hour, which I was way too excited about. The Archer was funny & I will be interested to see what direction it takes or waht audience it finds.

I loved when Charlie brought out the law book & the 2 guys were dueling & Mac kept asking "but how do you know the trannies are lawyers?" So happy to have Sunny back!!!

September 18 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

what was the show after it's always sunny

September 18 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I agree that I was worried that the success of this show would change it, but I've now watched the first 5 episode and I'm happy to report that it is the same old show that we all love.
What a great way to start off the season last night. I love this show.

September 18 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply