November 23, 2014

Sarah Brown's out: will Claudia be killed off General Hospital?

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 18th 2009 3:28PM
sarah_brown_general_hospitalIt's a tough day for Daytime Emmy-winning divas. It's the last episode of Guiding Light, which means Kim Zimmer and her four Emmys are available for a new gig. And now the news comes out that Sarah Brown is leaving General Hospital. Sarah Tweeted her exit yesterday, saying, "It's been nice being back at GH, but it's time for the character to come to an end, at least for me."

Actually, Sarah -- a three-time Emmy winner -- had a tough go-round this time on General Hospital. She returned to a familiar setting, but instead of resuming the role she originated, Carly Corinthos, she was playing Mafia princess Claudia Zacchara. (Laura Wright is the current Carly.)

The fact that Sarah's a very good actress, she managed to pull off the new role with style. As Claudia, she was more ruthless and reckless than Carly, which is saying a lot considering the evil Carly did when Sarah played her. The one thing she could conjure was true vulnerability for Claudia, but that might have been more about the writing than the acting.

That said, time was up for Sarah as Claudia. The writers had written the character into a corner. She had been responsible for the hit on Sonny that resulted in Michael's coma, and it's been widely speculate that once the truth comes out, Claudia would be a dead duck.

That's precisely what GH should do. Claudia's exit should be a Mafia execution, in the style of The Godfather. Someone close to her in the organization should take her for a ride after stopping to pick up some cannollis for dessert. Bada-bing, one shot to the head. The last shot should be her CFM red, spiked high heels, which was the first image of Sarah Brown when she came back to the show. Ah, symmetry.

[via TVWeek.com]

Joe

Ever since the Zaccharas came to town the story lines have been very unstable. They take it to near climax and leave you disappointed. They exhaust every option for every character and choose a very disappointing end or existance. If not already they need to change some of the writers. Claudia Zacchara could have been one of the best charater on the with great story lines.

October 29 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viki

Though I love love love Sarah Joy Brown, I was getting a little tired of her character doing crap and not being made to pay for it. The last straw was when she broke up Johnny and Olivia, even though she claims to love her brother. I was done when she left Kristina under the ride at the fair and walked away like she never knew she was there. How heartless! yeah she was the cause of the accident but to let her be hurt and not do anything, what kind of mother's instinct is that.

October 10 2009 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucy

I am very happy that Claudia is leaving!!! She is one of the most dispicable characters ever to appear on the show!! She is psychotic, she is so tough and threatening one second and wheepy, whinny the next, I especially dislike the way she tries to manipulate her brother Johnny and Sonny's kids.
I have been a fan of GH since it started in 1963 ( I watched it everyday before I went to my part time job at our local General Hospital, while going to college). claudia is one of the most dispicable characters ever to appear

October 01 2009 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucy

Claudia is one of the most dispicable characters on GH. and I am happy to see her leave. One minute she is so tough and heartless and then she is pathetic and weepy if some calls her bluff. I especially dislike the way she tries to manipulate the kids.
I have watched GH since it started in 1963. While in college I worked part time at our local General Hospital and the tv show came on just before my shift started; it is the only soap I have ever watched consistently taped it after I graduated and got a full-time job.

October 01 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Anne

I am deeply saddened and quite shocked, unfortunately the
fans of GH and Sarah Joy Brown, will be affected for quite a
while, I remember that to stay on the show Sarah went to the production team and took salary off the table, she is so special and I will miss her and hope only the best for her. As for her character, Claudia could run back to uncle Rudy and plot her return to wreck havoc on Port Charles!

September 20 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

Umm...no! Granted Claudia has done some pretty awful things, but the character was starting to see the light...and she isn't without her good qualities...she adores her brother, has a fondness for Spinelli, and I think she truly loved her baby, not to mention the hotness she feels for Sonny.

IF they need to get rid of the character, and it's a shame they do...have her go out redeeming herself. protecting one of Sonny's many kids, Spinelli, her brother, even Jason or Sonny himself.

A true mafia hit? Do you even watch soaps!?

September 19 2009 at 5:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Xina's comment
candylickergirl

you know I think a hit would be best. even though she has redeemed herself that doesnt mean that the past shouldnt catch up to her. a mafia princess she was and needs to go out like a mafia oohohhhhhhh I cant wait she still has to get hers.

October 02 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Bada Bing, LOL! Definitely a Mafia Hit would be fitting for her to go.

September 18 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brooke

Whilke it's definitely time for Claudia to get what she deserves, I will be really sad to see Sarah Joy Brown go. I've been watching GH literally since the womb (Yep, I came out a fan almost 40 years ago!) and she is one of the best actresses EVER to be on the show. She brings such a depth to characters that she plays... you almost forget she's acting. I wish her so much luck in the future.

September 18 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply