October 21, 2014

ABC still intends to finish Defying Gravity's run ... eventually

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 19th 2009 9:00AM
Defying GravityI thought Defying Gravity was over. Kona wasn't sure, but had little hope. The internet ran with it and there were unsubstantiated reports that ABC would never air the final five episodes. It was frustrating because it ended just before the big reveal as to what the "beta" entity was. So it looked like it would be another chapter in the long list of television shows that ended on a maddening cliffhanger.

I don't know what those episodes have in store, or if they provide better closure than what we have now, but ABC felt it was important enough to curb the rumors by putting out a statement that they fully intend to air those last Defying Gravity episodes. They just aren't sure when.

DG was too sci-fi for the audience they were hoping for with the "Grey's Anatomy in space" tag. There wasn't enough sci-fi for the hardcore science fiction base. At least those of us who toughed it out might get some closure.

TBeck

Of Course this show has been cancelled, it was good. I think the characters and story had a lot of room to grow, they weren't fleshed out too completely at the beginning - perhaps they were hoping for a nice long run. No great shock that it didn't make it, seems the average TV watcher wants to watch shows that talk down to them and allow them to vegetate.

Another big disappointment that this one is gone.

December 03 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana Curley

I came upon Defying Gravity (DG) by accident and I really liked watching all the episode and thought that perhaps they were going to make several chapters of this show so that it could initially run several seasons, so we could see how it turns out for each stop to each planet and if any or all return home safely and even a couple more episodes of their life return back home...then perhaps extend it to more seasons with other space events that occurs due to the capture of the organic beta, gammas, etc. This show could literally run 10 to 15 years, it capture me and I am sure that it too capture more people out there, so please DO not cancel DG!!

October 23 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caren

History shows that when it comes to marketing something they don't understand, network "suits" can be idiots. I think ABC has fallen into the same cluelessness that NBC had with the original "Star Trek". A combination of incompmrehension of the product plus less than instant explosive ratings and failure to get the product out (either by lack of advertising or poor time slot placement) did the original "Star Trek" in after three seasons. "As anyone who has followed the legend, classic "Trek" didn't reach its explosive popularity until it went into syndication years after it went off the air when it was plugged into a time slot where it would most likely be seen by the target demographic (when they finally figured out the importance of "target demographic").

And a slow start doesn't mean the show is worthless. I can think of at least two sci-fi shows that started slow (so slow that I also didn't give them more than one season each at the onset) but then came into their own once they got their space legs: "Star Trek: Next Generation", and "Babylon 5". In ST:NG, the early shows were almost painful to watch. The "chemistry" between the Enterprise crew wasn't obvious to me until its third season. In Babylon 5, the first season sort of wandered around seemingly aimlessly. When they traded for a more charismatic leading man second season, everything got better.

So if ABC wants to make the most of "Defying Gravity's" cult following and turn it into a lucrative franchise, they might think about taking more advantage of the Internet as its "syndication" distribution and slotting it on TV at a time when the more cerebral folks can find it and watch it. Or, they might decide to transfer it to cable instead. I think this show has the potential to make big bucks if the suits could just agree not to prematurely kill it.

October 12 2009 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

In all honesty it came as no big suprise to me that this show was canceled, they took far too long building the charcters and not enough time progresing the show, the constant flash backs became verry annoying, to the point where I would end up fast forwarding them as there was enough charcater building in the present. As a Sci fi Nut, there was definitly enough sci-fi to keep me intrested in the show and when it was reveled that there was entitys on multiple planets, I was really looking forward to a long running series. hopefully I will get to see the final 5 episodes and it will draw the series to a compleat conclusion. I am also hoping that the the people from ABC actually take the time to read the internet about their shows and realise that DG could have been one of the great sci fi series's that has been on TV in a very very long time.

October 08 2009 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jones

I hope our Canadian brothers are recording the show.. stupid ABC... stupid.

October 02 2009 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rokstar

man i was just starting to get into this show...there are alot of other show that should be cancelled before this one....unreal,

September 27 2009 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K.C.

This show, Pushing Daisies, and The Unit are three shows that comes to mind, when I think of terrific initial investments and poor delivery. I loved these shows, however, CBS is now starting to use us as guinea pigs, as they try to create successful tv lineups. I must say that I was emotionally invested in each of these shows, and I am frankly tired of CBS rolling out a few full length series for a few weeks, and then dropping them.

Have Fox, the CW, or somebody else pick up this show. As a matter of fact, simply produce and deliver the rest of the content on Hulu or Fancast, or even their own website for the remaining episodes. If you do this, simply enter in the actors contract, that if it is moved to webisodes, and as since ad revenue is still low when it comes to this type of medium, it would be a win win for everybody. They get their project aired, the studio gets ad revenue from the shared resources, and we as viewers, get to finish out a well written show.

September 26 2009 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
webdiva

There's a reason DSG failed in the ratings, and it's because the ABC execs are stupid. It was a network exec that first called DG "Grey's Anatomy in space" (they're also responsible for trying to turn Robert J. Sawyer's excellent novel FlashForward into a silly Lost clone with Fringe overtones, so you know they're consistently stupid). Plus, they also failed to promote Defying Gravity adequately. I never once saw an ad for it and stumbled onto it quite by accident, then had to catch up on previous episodes on Hulu. Thank heavens for online!!

September 26 2009 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M.L.

A whole lot of us over @ Hulu.com are wanting this show to remain on the air. If it's still being shown in the Canadian market then why not continue the season for us here in the USA?? Because what's fair about that? So now back to another show that had the slot before? If this was planned ahead of time why not figure out where to place DG back then? What's up with tv scheduling anymore?

The internet is where many fans are and where many more are headed. Decisions like that crazy ABC one contribute. On-demand tv & movies is not just the future - it's pretty much here already. Markets, demographics & national [tv] borders are already fading in the imagination of the consumer. And as someone else said, they can find a way to advertise to the real majority of the real viewers rather than hanging on to outdated, untruthful data collection methodologies.

Why don't the powers-that-be get on board with modern times? The 'memo' on this has been out for awhile. And because, at this juncture, we the fans watch where we can to at east finish a show's season (!) if that's still possible?.....So can the 'friends' of publicist Nicole Marostica give us a reason to avoid tv show websites which ABC & other networks do not own or have a contract with? Because they don't seem interested in this. And if they think Pirate Bay was a problem, likely whatever is next will be even worse for the industry.

September 24 2009 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
00Capra

I agree, Defying Gravity is - here it comes -Lost in space (perhaps not the original), and there's nothing wrong with regurgitating old stories. Wareghouse 13 regurgitates several old shows like, what was it, Friday the 13th? or some such? I disagree with the nay sayers, DG has done a fine job, nearly as well as Firefly, and to cancel it before it has found its legs is a waste of the audience's investment. and I like the casting. I agree it was the promotion and advertising - I didn't know about DG till I found it online. Shame on ABC for canceling. oh and Flashforward(saw the screening) is not going to replace Lost - well I'll be surprised if it does, the pilot will be an event for 24hrs and then we'll all be crossing our fingers hoping the story gets better. (producers promise better planning and execution.)

September 24 2009 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply