April 17, 2014

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Funkhouser's Crazy Sister (season premiere)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 21st 2009 1:02AM
(L-R): Bob Einstein, Larry David, and Jeff Garlin
(S07E01) "I'd rather have the thieves than the neighbors - the thieves don't impose." - Larry

Larry David is back, and I feel uncomfortable. Awkward moments, off-color comments, and instances of sheer disgust were all there in tonight's season premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm. If you sit back for a second and actually consider all the different elements that made up this episode, it's pretty impressive. More often than not, an episode of Curb is just as intricately plotted out as an episode of Lost.

Seriously, though, think about it. Ending relationships with cancer patients, household temperatures as preferred by white people vs. black people, the shittiness of fish as pets, apricots as a low percentage fruit, questioning a host of a dinner party about the guests, going into someone else's refrigerator, sex with mental patients, telling someone who's gay that they don't look gay, using someone else's name to get a dinner reservation, and lying to ensure that someone gets thrown back in a psychiatric hospital. It was all present, but most importantly, it all tied together and made sense.

So to quickly recap some highlights, it's been a few months since Larry and Cheryl called it quits. Loretta has now been diagnosed with cancer and Larry wants out of the relationship as a result. Also fueling his desire to scram is Cheryl. He saw her out at dinner, and the two hit it off. Meanwhile, Jeff had sex with Marty's mentally unstable sister Bam Bam (Catherine O'Hara was amazing) -- arguably the most depraved thing he's even done.

A few other thoughts on "Funkhouser's Crazy Sister":

• First off, a couple of classic quotes: "Don't condescend me with your tiny pear." "You had sex with a mental patient?!"
  • One word: Leon. Oh, and one more quote: "I'm an 82 man myself."
  • Normally, I can relate to the things that pop up on Curb; however, I've never heard of it being taboo to ask who's invited to a dinner party, nor would I ever go in to someone else's fridge if I wasn't told I could. Did anyone else know about these "rules?"
  • Always remember to never make an empty gesture to a Funkhouser.

Beyond all that, what we've all been waiting for is the Seinfeld reunion, and the seed was planted when Larry bumped into Cheryl. Sure, they both miss each other, but what Cheryl missed was having Larry, but not having him around. Like when he had a full time job and she only saw him in the morning and at night.

Like when he was running Seinfeld.

Ah ha! So, despite Larry's well known aversion to reunion shows, should the opportunity present itself, seems as though he'd be all for it now, right? In the immortal words of Izzy Mandlebaum, it's go time!

Shawn

"Will Larry be receiving an NAACP Image award? Was Wanda serious about her nomination? I couldn't tell. It would be hilarious if he was in the running (or even if he won) and then they found out he broke up with his black girlfriend b/c she had cancer."

I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Maybe some of the black people he's offended in the past will show up, too?

September 23 2009 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeidreLee

I hesitated to order HBO because I was so disgusted with the end of episode 6. Larry was completely out of character. The separation between him and Cheryl should never have happened. Cheryl loved him so much she was able to live with his crazy ways. I watch the first episode last night as my friend told me they were getting rid of the host guests and Larry and Cheryl met - hopefull that is so. I was very surprised, by the way, that Jeff suddenly became a Romeo. What is up with that?

September 22 2009 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
denise

To answer Adam's question, yes, Jeff has cheated on Suzie before. The Bam-Bam infidelity is not his first.

As for the episode last night, I enjoyed it because I like Larry and the rest of the cast and I missed them during the off season, but I can't say I laughed out loud. With all the hype about a Seinfeld reunion, I really thought it would be in the first episode. I was a little disappointed. I'll keep tuning in, of course.

September 22 2009 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

"arguably the most depraved thing he's even done."... that we know of.

September 21 2009 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

The first 10 minutes was a little shaky then the show came on strong. You can see that this was laying the groundwork for what will most likely be the best CYE season ever.

Catherine O'Hara was outrageously funny as Bam-Bam. The dinner scene with Jeff was laugh out loud for me.

P.S. Great to see the Schmohawk comment again. Time to pick up that Curb Your Enthusiasm Schmohawk Mug at the HBO Store: http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=95218

September 21 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

It's so good to have Larry David back, if even just for 10 episodes (can't they at least do 12? Damn). Was a great episode tonight.

Do black people really not like the cold? That's always the joke reason they give about why there are not many black NHL players, but I never gave that any credence whatsoever. I'm like Larry, I keep my a/c on 68 or sometimes even 66. But I do like it colder than most people so I wouldn't say I'm an average case. Other people (white and black alike) say my place is kept freezing). I love cold air. I'd die trying to sleep in a room that's 75 degrees - and I wouldn't even be able to sit in a room that's 82 degrees for more than a few minutes before dropping dead. Room temperature is usually considered to be 70-72 degrees, so Larry's compromise was extremely reasonable (cancer-related suffering notwithstanding). Most stores are usually kept at 72. Are black people freezing their asses off, going back to homes kept above 75 degrees?

September 21 2009 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Adam

As a black guy, no that isn't true. The reason there aren't that many black NHL players is pretty much the same reason there aren't many black baseball players, limited access to resources in the inner cities (you won't find a hockey rink or a maintained baseball field in most) and the great athletes usually start developing their skills for something that's more profitable, the NFL or the NBA, at a very young age, so their skills become highly specialized.

Back to the actual topic.....this was probably a 7 for Curb but thats way better than a 10 for most shows. The scene with larry trying to beat the doctor was priceless. Just one question, was Jeff always a philanderer? I remember him wanting to be with one of his clients, but the way they approached it was like it was something he's done before.

September 21 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply