November 26, 2014

Cynical Emmy rant: Jon Cryer... supporting actor?

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 21st 2009 10:32AM
Jon Cryer accepts his EmmyI know people complained about this when the nominations came out, but for some reason, it just irked the hell out of me when Jon Cryer won the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

Not that I don't think Cryer deserved an Emmy. No, he does a great job as the uptight Alan Harper on Two and a Half Men. And, after all the failed shows and pilots, the man once known as Duckie deserves recognition for the fine actor his is... just not as a supporting actor.

I have no idea why the ATAS allows actors to submit themselves in supporting categories when they're clearly lead actors. But you and I and the wall behind me all know that Cryer is a co-lead on Men along with Charlie Sheen, who was nominated in the lead category. But he figured submitting into the supporting category gave him a better chance to win, and he was right.

But look at the rest of the nominees: Rainn Wilson, Neil Patrick Harris, Jack McBrayer, Kevin Dillon, and Tracy Morgan. All of them can make a more compelling case that they're in a supporting role than Cryer can. And all of them are the definition of a superior supporting player, making a huge impact with little screen time. Even Wilson and NPH, who are more a part of an ensemble than true supporting players, get less screen time than Cryer does. But by submitting himself as a supporting actor, Cryer basically didn't give any of his fellow nominees a chance.

NPH and his writers did a good job of playing off the fact that he lost by having the host mock-bitterly ask Cryer questions like "What did it feel like to win?" as Cryer did the winner's backstage press conference. But if they really had some guts, they would have asked him, "How is Charlie Sheen a lead actor but you're not?"

Oh, and a quick note to Jon: Lose the striped sweater-vest. It made you look like a middle-aged Harry Potter.

raynablaze

BTW, I completely agree he didn't belong in that category, I found this thread thru a Bing search for "jon cryer is not a supporting actor."

September 22 2009 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
raynablaze

The sweater vest could be evidence that he really didn't expect to win....

September 21 2009 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

I am so glad I forgot to watch this last night. I think I would have hit the roof when he won.

September 21 2009 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Ripped off? Were he technically considered the lead he'd have one less statue today... Something tells me he doesn't feel ripped off...

I think it's really stupid that they can do this... Then again, I always thought it was pretty unfair to the guy who played Newman that Michael Richards and Jason Alexander were considered supporting actors when they clearly weren't.

September 21 2009 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Judging by salaries, Jon Cryer is clearly a supporting actor. However, I think he's being ripped off and should be considered a lead.

September 21 2009 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the dude

well maybe it's just me but - i thought that his speech was made with tongue in cheek to be a touch of humor. i thought it was funny and it kinda played into the interview that neil patrick harris and cryer had later in the show.

and yes - cryer dressed like a schmutz - but was it like sarah silverman wearing a moustache in the audience when she was on camera? dunno - but that also was a visual funny on a awards show that was entertaining in its own way for once.

September 21 2009 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc Bowker

Looks like I'm preaching to the choir here, but I actually turned to my wife and said "Why is he a supporting actor and Charlie Sheen is a lead actor?" Regardless, Cryer has paid his dues in Hollywood and it's nice to seem him get some well-deserved recognition.

September 21 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

All this time I thought Alan's wardrobe on "2 1/2 Men" was purposely picked by the wardrobe people to be the nerdiest, most tasteless outfits. Now I'm beginning to think that Cryer just wears what he has at home.

September 21 2009 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
fgsweetdog

I agree. And what's with those pajama "sets" he wears? First of all, who wears pajamas anymore anyway? And a t-shirt underneath it all. Is it really that cold in Malibu at night?

September 21 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

I could rant for 10 minutes on how wrong it is that Cryer won - but life is short. I'm not pleased to say the least, but perhaps Cryers win is the yang to the yin of Kristin Chenoweth winning for the beautiful and greatly missed "Pushing Daisies".

September 21 2009 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Guess Who's comment
Ryan

This is exactly what I was telling myself last night. If the awesomeness of Chenoweth winning was too great that the universe somehow had to balance it with an NPH shock loss, then I'll ultimately be okay since NPH will have other chances.

But I'm sure the universe saw how upset I still was and ended up giving Michael Emerson the win later that night. As was most of last night's ceremony, the good ended up outweighing the bad.

September 21 2009 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply