July 22, 2014

If House's limp is hurting Hugh Laurie, why not fix it?

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 21st 2009 2:06PM
Hugh Laurie is HouseHey, Fox! Would you rather lose Hugh Laurie as the curmudgeon Dr. House, or would you rather risk what could happen to the show if he lost that trademark limp? He's been limping around the set for five years now. He's no spring chicken, and the limp is starting to take such a toll on his body, that Laurie might consider leaving House over it.

"The show might last through to (season) seven, eight or nine, but I don't know if I will because I'm starting to lose my knees," he said. "It's a lot of hip work. There are things going badly wrong." I've been reading for a few years now about how the limp has been affecting Laurie's actual health and physical well-being. I don't see why Fox doesn't just resolve this problem by eliminating the limp.

I know the chronic pain is supposed to be a facet of his character, but it's season six now. The viewers like him and can accept him as he grows and changes. We'd certainly rather deal with a pain-free House than a House-free TV schedule.

Janie

House is wonderful. Don't let him quit. If the limp hurts
him, get rid of it. House is the best show on TV.

September 26 2009 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirley

Please, fix the mother-f***in limp he is the only reason why I watch the show. I do love the other actors, but if Hugh goes alot of fans leave too!

September 26 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janie

House is wonderful. Don't get rid of him. If it's hurting
him, get rid of the limp. We love him.

September 26 2009 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
traci

who cares if he has a limp, not me but that new season starter was better than most of last years episodes! Wow, left me dying for more!

September 25 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

They can't put him in a chair, and they can't get rid of the cane. The cane is an essential prop, and there's too much humour that goes with it to give it up.

I can't see a wheelchair working for more than one episode, either. Wilson and the rest will get their laughs, but it will get old quickly, hearing House say something about "can't go there" every episode.

September 22 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Keep House repair the leg. Great future stories of a man who has been in a love/hate relationship with his leg. All of the justifications it's given him physically, spiritually, intellectually and emotionally is suddenly gone. The physical crutch is gone! Now what is he going to do ? The emperor suddenly has no clothes. Fun, fun, fun! And how timely because all of us have lost some of our clothes this past year. Show us how House copes. Could this be a "teachable" moment from the best teacher on t.v.?

September 22 2009 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eisbaer

I'm most partial to solving this problem by having House confined to a wheelchair. I don't think this show can afford to let Hugh Laurie leave -- let's face it, it just won't work without him. The only reason I stuck around through the last, disappointing season was because of him (and I know that I am not alone). Not that the other "House" cast members are untalented (far from it), but I don't think that any of them can carry this show (and GOD FORBID if Thirteen OFFICIALLY becomes the show's focus -- Olivia Wilde is a beautiful woman and all, but she's a lousy actress, her character is neither interesting nor likable, and 90% of what has gone wrong with "House" is directly related to Thirteen [and the writers' inexplicable focus on her]).

September 22 2009 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachael

Hugh is such a wonderful actor, House would not of been a success without him. If it's true that the 'limp' is giving him problems, then do fix it! I'm sure the writers can add some state-of-the-art surgery to the storyline to cure his problem. He can still use the cane out of habit, and he'll still be popping the pills for the same reason. I love how he portrays himself as cranky/grumpy, but with such a sense of humour mixed in it.

September 22 2009 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I decided to go back to that site and I found this: http://www.hollywood.com/news/Laurie_has_no_plans_to_quit_House/5703805
Woooo!!!

September 21 2009 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally G

The wheelchair idea seems the most interesting to me. It is realistic, probably more so than having the limp just go away, and would also allow the show to protray House dealing with the limitations of being in a chair-would he just get crankier? how would he deal with the practical issues faced by the disabled every day? This show takes on issues and disease information; this could be a great extension. It would also be interesting to see the other characters' reaction to House's new disability.

September 21 2009 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply