August 20, 2014

The Price is Right has changed its set too

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 21st 2009 3:29PM
Drew CareyThe Price is Right set has gone through a lot of changes over the years, but today's season premiere showed that they were really busy over the summer (as was the Jeopardy crew).

The show used to have a very '70s vibe (even in the '80s and '90s), and then they replaced the more '70s-ish designs with more of a '50s look (while still keeping a lot of the '70s stuff). Today we found out that the retro '50s graphics are still evident on the walls, but they've also changed the two main areas of the stage. The screens on Contestants Row are now more clean and boxy than they used to be, and it looks like they're using a different lighting system for the numbers that pop up on the screens. Looks better.

They've also changed the "home base" (as the show calls it), the stage right behind Carey as he talks to the people in Contestants Row. Basically it looks like they cleaned up the joint a bit.

As for the Showcase area, this has changed a lot. Not only have they pulled the two podiums further away from the wall so there's more room for the contestants, they've changed the podiums themselves. They're thinner, sort of an upside-down triangle shape, and the font for the prices have changed along with what's on the podiums. If the previous version had a mix of '50s and '70s, the new version has a lot of '80s thrown in. It look like the Showcase they'd have on the Starship Enterprise.

But none of it changes the show at all and none of it is bad. Here's video of the changes. What did you think?

Preston

I saw the season premiere on Sept 21st and thought I would see the same old thing, the same set I see annually. Wow, did my jaw drop when I saw the newer set! That hideous green shag carpet and the older podiums that they had for 25 years or more were gone! I like the blue background for the turntable portion of the stage and there's more space for the contestants. Like the LCD screens that display the bids--makes it more respectable to the HD-TV generation. And I like the new green podiums for the showcases after 25 years of orange and purple colored podiums. It's one part retro and another part modern and current. It's really respectable to the many eras of The Price Is Right.

September 27 2009 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elvis32966

Wow!!!! Two Elvis Presley showcases on Friday!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see who wins that. Sweet Lord.. I wish it was me... They say be careful what you wish for because........

September 24 2009 at 6:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

The changes look fine. The announcer on the other hand needs to work on his "This is the Price is Right".

September 22 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to James's comment
Preston

I think that Rich Fields is doing something new this year, cutting out the wordiness of the former introduction of the show, saying simply, "It's The Price Is Right"

September 27 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

MIKE RICHARDS!!! Ha, who knew?! I haven't seen him since his last Dailies episode on Reelz Channel. Shame, he's a good host. Well, at least he has a job somewhere.

September 21 2009 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cale

Holy crap, when did Michael Moore start hosting The Price is Right?

September 21 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike McNamara

As a HUGE TPIR fan, I have to say that I think the changes are pretty cool. I like the retro look and I like that they've made changes but kept it true to the way it used to look.

What I find more odd are the changes to Drew Carey's look. I admit that I haven't watched the show that often since he took over, but his hair freaked me out a little bit.

September 21 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I've never seen a taping of TPIR and probably never will.

But I have gone to tapings of Real Time with Bill Maher who does his show on the same CBS soundstage at 7 PM Fridays. It's a little weird to see all the flamboyant sets and gaudy colors covered up with drapes.

September 21 2009 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply