September 2, 2014

Why no love for Billy Mays, Emmys?

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 21st 2009 11:00AM
Pitchmen's Billy Mays and Anthony SullivanI'm not saying that I necessarily think Billy Mays should have won a posthumous Emmy, or even that his show Pitchmen should have been included in their "The Year in Reality" segment. But leaving him out of the "In Memoriam" segment? You have people from every facet of the television industry, and you leave out the most famous infomercial personality ever. Infomercials are television programming.

Yes, they're annoying at times and yes, they're not as exciting as Lost or The Amazing Race, but it's still television. Billy Mays was famous because of television. And he was famous. Virtually everyone in this country recognizes "Hi, Billy Mays here!" and that almost patented way of shouting talking he had.

But hell, even if you don't buy any of those arguments, he was one of the stars of Pitchmen, a successful reality show. You honor reality shows, right? I'm just saying, It seems to me that one of the most famous faces of the modern era on television, and one of the most powerful men in the commercial industry, could have maybe earned a quick mention upon his passing.

bangkok beel

I'd switch channels whenever this obnoxious bastid came on!! Whatever he pitched I'd never buy!
What i'm saying is really serious!!!!! Bangkok beel

October 02 2009 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

I think that Billy Mays probably should have been included in the tribute.

However, the Academy has to establish a standard for inclusion when it comes to reality TV. The question will begin to matter more and more. You'd think that they would include Heidi Klum or Jeff Probst if they died. But what about Tila Tequila or that "New York" chick? These two women are famous on a national level for appearing on multiple television shows, but did they really "work" in the television industry? I would think that someone like Jonathan Murray would qualify, but not the people who appeared on his shows.

But, again, I don't think Billy Mays should have been excluded.

September 24 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Sad that you did not add Mary Travers to your "In Memorium" segment, as she was a huge part of the 1960's and a great talent. She had passed, I believe on the same day as Henry Gibson and you added him.

September 21 2009 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I think it is because he was a non-member of all the acting groups and because his death was contributed to by cocaine. That last devastate his image forever. Have you noticed his main endorsement has moved on to voice vers by faceless picthmen and only his recurring infomericals on infomerical sites use him anymore.

September 21 2009 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

While I wish no one harm . . . more so death, Billy Mays was one of the most annoying people on TV. As soon as a commercial came on with him, screaming in my face, I immediately turned off the channel. He and the Luna carpet people are among the most annoying pitch people on TV -- ever.

September 21 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I, for one, don't see any problem with it.

September 21 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the Academy overlooked Mays because he wasn't a member of SAG, AFTRA, DGA or WGA.

September 21 2009 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to M-D's comment
Gordy

I'll cosign on this one.

September 21 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victoria

I was wondering the same thing! I turned to my mom and I was like "Why wouldn't they show Billy Mays?"

September 21 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pumapayam

Anyone have the link to the tribute video? The Emmy site does not host one.

September 21 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pumapayam

I went to the Emmy's site, and could not find a video of the tribute?

Anyone have a link to the vid online?

Here's the full list from the segment, in the order they appeared courtesy of Roger Catlin:

Edie Adams