April 20, 2014

Castle: Deep in Death (season premiere)

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 22nd 2009 1:44AM
castle season premiere
(S02E01) Look, I'm just going to say it up front and get it out of the way: Nathan Fillion is the most charming man on television. All I could think of when I was watching the season premiere was, "wow." Also, how could Beckett resist him? Sure, he went against her express wishes and reopened her mother's case, which brings with it the distinct possibility of opening a Pandora's box of despair and obsession that could ruin her life and career -- but has she seen him smile? Come on.

Ordinarily, I have very little patience for obviously inconsequential tension like we have in this episode with Beckett refusing to partner up with Castle. It's the season premiere -- obviously, she's going to take him back; it's kind of the premise of the show. However, they manage to conclude the storyline in such a way that it doesn't overshadow the rest of the episode, and instead of retarding the pace, it actually ushers in some new character development.

I have mixed feelings on the whole "Beckett infiltrating the Russian gambling operation" thing. I find it hilarious that she goes to coffee shops and pretends to be from Moscow, and I love when she uses the Russian accent to gain entry into the poker game. However, while they try to justify the fact that she goes into said poker game wearing no pants as just "working with what she has available," it still takes Beckett to a trashy place where I don't think she would necessarily go.

It's good to see a lighter side of Beckett, but at the same time, I like the fact that she takes her job seriously. The NYPD isn't an easy place for women, especially a high-ranking woman like Beckett. I doubt she would undermine herself like that. I have no problem with Beckett going around without pants on -- just as long as it's off the clock.

Speaking of "off the clock," I'm enjoying Castle's mother and daughter more and more. Granted, Alexis' main purpose seems to be to help Castle have Dr. House-like Eureka moments during conversations not about the matter at hand, but she and Castle have lovely moments together, regardless.

The mystery of the week was creepy and gruesome enough to come straight from a Law & Order, which provides a nice balance to the jokes and snappy dialogue. A funny police procedural seems like a terrible idea, but Castle proved last season that it can work, and it just seems to be getting better in season two.

Jenny

I love, love, LOVE Nathan Fillion, but I find Castle to be completely unwatchable. The "chemistry" between the leads is painfully bad. The lead actress is just awful, and the writing is just yikes! I tried to watch this. I watched it for about 6 episodes, but I just couldn't do it. I want to like it so much!

September 22 2009 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I think the acting is the strongest part of the show. Nathan Fillion especially, and Stana Katic are really great. The downfall of the show is the writing. To date, no crime has been particularly compelling. Hopefully the story with Beckett's mother will be a step in the right direction. Full review of the episode on my blog.

September 22 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

One of the elements I like about this show is how the camera will stay with an actor when they don't have a line to say. This group does a very good job with facial expressions. They aren't over the top and many times are only for the character and the audience.

September 22 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I was happy to see the return of Authors Poker, but Russian Poker was just pretty stupid all around, between Castle's behavior and Beckett having to dress like a skank. Sigh. And was it just me, or did her Russian accent sound better in the van than out in public?

That said, Castle's revelation that all he needed to do was APOLOGIZE (aw, Alexis) was pretty awesome.

September 22 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Libby

Thought it was hilarious when he asked if he should start some music when the dr. was getting the fingerprints off the inside of the glove because "that's how they do it on CSI"

September 22 2009 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Libby's comment
Alicia R.

I sat there giggling that whole scene.

September 22 2009 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M. Reddick

I hate to admit it but Beckett is fourth in the list of characters of interest on this show for me. Castle, his mother and his daughter are more interesting than Beckett. I put Beckett, only slightly above the M.E.--who I think could shine if given the proper material. Beckett remains too closed, rigid, and too much of a mystery for me.

September 22 2009 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

After watching season 1 of The Mentalist (another cop/notcop buddy show) all summer, the stark difference in production quality between these shows is so huge, its striking. Castle just oozes quality, from the superb writing to the beautiful and slick look and feel of the cinematography, to the total lack of stunt casting that ruins so many procedurals (that includes you, CSI). Did I mention the writing? It's so nice not to be introduced to a character in the first 10 minutes and realize explicitly that they're the killer, only to wait through all of the red herrings and twists to find out that - SURPRISE - the person who so painfully stood out from the beginning was The Guy (as Monk would say). I love this show, and they just can't make enough of them for me.

September 22 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Nathan is so dreamy! I laughed when he couldn't take his eyes off of Beckett's bare legs as she was putting handcuffs on the Russian guy. I would love more of Castle's mom and daughter.

September 22 2009 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

Nathan Fillion is the reason to watch "Castle." His intelligence and wit inform everything he does. I would watch a Nathan Fillion reality show -- just follow him around with a camera.

September 22 2009 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I really enjoy Castle - it is kinda of like Bones in that it is a light procedural only it is much more charming. I think the toning down of the mother and the continued use of the delightful daughter coupled with the development of the supporting characters in the police department are all very positive steps for this season (although I still am not wild about the ME).

I really got a chuckle out of the little jab the show got in on Ryan Reynolds. Castle and his mom were talking about no new original ideas and Castle said they were remaking some invaders game and Ryan Reynolds was going to play the triangle. Ryan Reynolds got the part of Green Lantern but there was a Nathan Fillion fan movement (even some youtube mashup) to have him considered for the role. Just a little inside thing.

September 22 2009 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply