July 30, 2014

Heroes: Jump, Push, Fall

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 22nd 2009 2:45AM
Heroes: Jump, Push, Pull(S04E02) Things are definitely getting interesting again. I'm glad Heroes went with a two-hour premiere, because it wasn't until the end of this hour that we had enough to really grab our attention again. As expected, Samuel Sullivan and the Sullivan Brothers Carnival are right at the heart of the mystery right now.

There's another mystery brewing at Claire's college. Or maybe there isn't. Could what happened with Annie be as straightforward as everyone seems to want us to believe? But now that's the least of Claire's problems, due to her little impromptu experiment.

This episode focused primarily on four main storylines, and it progressed very smoothly for it. It wasn't too confusing, and I came out if it with a sense of confidence that there's a plan for the season. I'm still not sure if it's accessible enough for new viewers, but you never know. Maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for.

STORY A
The main story of the episode was the story of Samuel's wayward ability-detecting compass. See, I told you the carnival element was the most intriguing so far. Noah followed the trail of a key in Danko's stomach to the compass. Maybe that's why the little bastard was so crabby all the time. Noah got Peter involved, figuring Edgar would try for it again, which he did. Peter did it for Edgar's super-speed, but I can't blame him for that. It would be an even better ability than Suresh's super-strength.

I was impressed that Peter continues to be an expert at everything he tries. Edgar has been doing the super-speed knife thing for god knows how long, and yet when Peter borrows his ability, of course he's now an expert at knife combat and even more proficient than Edgar. He must absorb all their skills as well as their abilities.

STORY B
I'm not sure yet what Samuel's intentions are with Hiro, but he jumped himself back fourteen years to have Hiro change Ando's past. Hiro didn't change his own destiny, but he did prevent his sister from hating Ando for years. Back in the present, Ando and Kimiko have now been involved for years, but nothing else seems to have changed. No "butterfly effect" here. How does this benefit Samuel, though?

He was very adamant in getting Hiro to do what he wanted, but why? Why put Hiro on this new mission of righting the mistakes he's made in his life? How can Samuel possibly see the outcome of that? Does the ink he puts into Lydia's back show more than faces?

STORY C
But enough about new villains, we've still got an old villain hanging around ... sort of. We didn't check in with Nathan/Sylar at all, but that sliver of Sylar that's trapped in Matt's psyche got plenty of screen time. It's an interesting hallucination for Matt to have, and perfectly symbolic of Matt's apparent fall into ability addiction.

That's what led Sylar down his destructive path. Is Matt capable of such darkness? It certainly was a dick move what he did to poor Roy, the water boy. Out of sheer jealousy that Roy is friendly with Janice, he twisted Roy's mind around and got rid of him for good. How sweet that kind of power must taste. Lest he forget the path his father went down, I see a rough path in Matt's future.

STORY D
Somebody had to go and save the cheerleader, so we're still getting stories about her. So far, they seem completely inconsequential, but maybe there's more to the death of her roommate than we know. And maybe there's more to Gretchen than we know. It may not have been an accident their becoming friends.

Gretchen didn't seem as mind-blown as she should have if she truly witnessed Claire falling to her "death" and then snapping herself back together. Maybe she's an agent of Samuel's? I'm going to start seeing Samuel's machinations in everything. He did show Claire, along with Sylar and Peter, on Lydia's back as the next ones he needs to gather, whatever that means.

They got my attention by the end of this premiere. I want to know what Samuel is up to, and I want to know more about this carnival and all the "special" people who make up its crew. So far, I'm digging all of them.

As always, you can find behind-the-scenes bits, clips and even a few full episodes of Heroes at SlashControl.

Elisabeth

As a big fan of Heroes, I was hugely disappointed by the season premiere. Not sure if I'm becoming jaded but I couldn't wait for it to end: I was bored.
Seems to me that when I first started watching this show, the episode end came way too soon...
We'll see.

September 23 2009 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

You'd have a point, except for the fact that they are forced to introduce a constant stream of new characters because the most boring ones are the main characters themselves... the only way to even keep what they have is to have this constant influx... but they have to get rid of them or kill them just as fast as they're introduced, otherwise we'd actually expect that quality and entertainment value from the main cast........ and that's not gonna happen. Not because of the cast, but because Tim Kring can write a helluva pitch.......... just not a tv show.

September 22 2009 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAM

There are already too many characters on Heroes and now they're going to add a whole carnival full of new ones! Has there ever been a successful show with this many main characters? I really want the show to continue, but the writers seem to overcomplicate the plot with uninteresting people.

September 22 2009 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I think the set-up for this season has been the best so far, I'm intrigued by the Carnival Folks and what they can bring to the table especially Rob K. from Prison Break. . .I'm in for this ride.

September 22 2009 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Lacey

Or, spoilers should go after the page break.

September 22 2009 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Jeremy Lacey's comment
Mike

He douche, it's a review of an episode you haven't watched... wake up.

Am I the only one who hates Matt Parkman? Not for his ability, but for the same reason part of me hates Peter... they're unrealistically wholesome... What good comes from Parkman not using his ability? Drug lords going free? The issue wasn't his power being used, it was people using him for his power. Why not just be a stronger willed person, and when people ask you to do evil with your power.... ummm... how about you don't do it?

Something tells me the writers don't think people should be allowed to have guns in their houses either for self-protection... you just might shoot someone.......

And you say it's a dick move what he did to Roy... ummmm... I think I would have been asking Janice why, 2 months later, Roy, who's apparently there twice a week, doesn't know they're back together?

And yeah, Claire's new pal is obviously the murderer. She was way too interested in the death, she already knew Claire had been involved in the Odessa death, and she just happens to be there at the right moment to see Claire? She killed the roomie, wrote the note, and is orchestrating Claire's inability to find normalcy. Boohoo.

I hope Hiro and Ando both die. I hope Mohinder stays gone. I hope Matt Parkman is labotomized and his wife forced to whore herself out to Roy. I hope Tim Kring is run over by a bus.

September 22 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Paul

You could just, you know, not watch the show. Instead of being so damn angry about a television show.

September 23 2009 at 3:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Lacey

Hey, didn't get a chance to watch this yet, thanks for the spoiler warning about Claire's roommate.

September 22 2009 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeremy Lacey's comment
wulff

Don't read an episode review if you haven't watched the episode.

September 22 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

The previews showed Samuel talking to someone, but not who. Don't remember what was said, but it made me think he was talking to Gretchen about Claire. And methinks that Gretchen took care of the roomie for Claire.

September 22 2009 at 7:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CRVBOY's comment
MCW

That's what they'd like us to think, so I agree, it's probably her, unless somewhere in this season we find that Samuel hired someone to shape-shift into Gretchen or something like that.

September 22 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply