April 17, 2014

The Battlestar Galactica that never happened

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 22nd 2009 1:00PM
Ron Moore owes a lot to Richard Hatch for keeping the Battlestar Galactica franchise alive long enough for his marvelous reboot. So much so that he gave Mr. Hatch a significant role in his series (Of course his character did end up being killed in front of a firing squad. Make of that what you will).

With that in mind, I present to you the promotional trailer for the 1999 reboot of the franchise that never happened. Subtitled "The Second Coming", it was intended as a continuation of the 1970's series (I'm not sure whether it ignored the mistake that was Galactica 1980). The concept starred Hatch as the new fleet commander (with a cameo by the original Commander Adama, Lorne Greene) as well as a few other familiar faces from the original series. Sadly, it never got picked up. That's a shame because it was around the time of Babylon 5 and the explosion of CGI use on television. It looked more mature and less kitschy than its previous incarnation and might have made for fine television.

[via Topless Robot]

Tim McCleese

I thought it looked exciting. From what was shown it looked like it had a lot of action, a fine cast of actors, and nice special effects. And I have always liked the cylons when they spoke in that ominous voice. It might have been a lot of fun. Of course (for me), it would never have measured up to our latest version because they did not have Grace Park. She trumps everything. I miss her greatly (sob).

September 23 2009 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xxnapoleonsolo

John Colicos remains the one, true Baltar, and it would have been interesting to see how this would have turned out. However, I don't think it would have scaled the heights of new Battlestar, so maybe it's for the best it didn't get picked up.

September 23 2009 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bbbl67

Was that my imagination, or did I see Mike Farrell of MASH fame in one of the roles?

September 23 2009 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Very amusing

September 22 2009 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

It woulda been great to see John Colicos again as Baltar and Richard Lynch as well, but the incredibly cliched dialogue, oft-used situations and horrible overacting by Hatch not so much.

September 22 2009 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chas Winterbottom

Aaaannnnddd corny!

September 22 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Wow! Can't believe I've never heard of or seen this before. That said, I'm glad it never happened, as it couldn't possibly have equaled Ron Moore's version--which probably wouldn't have happened if this had.

September 22 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don Speis

This would have been a fine addition to the BSG franchise. This is what BSG 1980 should have been. To bad it never made it to a network. If Ron Moore did not enjoy the BSG of old, he would not have made his vision either. Richard Hatch is Apollo. His continuing novels in BSG are what fans of the original show wanted to see, to bad they never got to see this. The networks made a mistake.

September 22 2009 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I'm not so sure this would be such a great idea. That BSG had a lot more in common with "Star Wars" more then anything, and that is probobly what they were going for at the time. Sure certain aspects were the same. Commander Adama having a son who's a pilot. The whole "Cylon Evolution", but if that series got picked up and then was either sucessful or bombed, maybe Ron Moore would never have gotten the chance to create his vision.

September 22 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply