November 26, 2014

Glee: Preggers

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 23rd 2009 10:02PM
Fox_Glee_Kurt_Hummel(S01E04) Lies, lies and damn lies. There are plenty of them on Glee in between the musical numbers, but in a truly fine episode like this one, at least one major truth emerges and that's what you take away from the show. Still, it's that darn song I'm humming and one more reason Glee keeps me coming back.

By the way, before we go on, how great is it that Glee has been renewed for a full season? Way to go, Fox! Yes, maybe it was a given that this show would be given a chance, but there are no sure things, and I think the network deserves a thumbs up when they take a chance. Anyway, more on tonight's show and all the plot developments after the jump.

The Kurt story was the finest of the night, perhaps of the season. Kurt had been lying about his sexuality, even to the point of having to get himself onto the football team to back up the tale he told his father. Ultimately, in a really great scene, Kurt told his father the truth. Mike O'Malley as the dad underplayed perfectly. He said he'd known about Kurt being gay since his son was three, and he loved him just as much. The final touch, Dad saying, "Thanks for telling me, Kurt ... You're sure?"

As good as the Kurt plot was, it would be nice if the other situations weren't so contrived. As the title suggests, pregnancy is a big theme on the show. Terri confided to Kendra about the hysterical pregnancy, and now they're both plotting like a pair of soap divas!

I know, I know, there must be drama, but Will would have to be a real idiot -- and he's not -- to have not caught on to the fake baby bump. Did Terri buy that at Wal-Mart, by the way, or was it a craft project? But, seriously, Will sleeps with his wife, he touches her; they hang out in the bathroom together (brushing teeth). She can't avoid him for seven months and continue having a good marriage.

Speaking of dumb, Finn is not a biology wiz, I get it, but how could he believe that Quinn is preggers based on the hot tub incident? Of course, Quinn's lie may not last for long if Puck makes good on his threats. Or if Erica Kane -- I mean Terri -- figures out how to pull off a baby switch. I'm really hoping they find a better plot than this because it just reeks.

The building of relationships stands out to me, especially when Finn turned to Will for comfort and trusted him about Quinn's pregnancy. There was also Kurt bonding with Finn about getting onto the football team. Would they ever be friends in real life? Probably not, but would you ever expect to see a high school football team do a choreographed dance number before running a play? Hell, no, but what a terrific scene. It didn't matter that it was the third time they played Beyonce's "Single Ladies"! I still can't get that song out of my head!

Other points of interest
Sue's Corner. The coach's new career on WOHN-TV, and the pressure to win the nationals in order to keep her spot, is a much better motivation for her destroying glee club than jealousy of Will. I loved her editorial about caning: "Yes, we cane."

• Sandy Ryerson taking over the arts department also gets Stephen Tobolowsky back on as a regular and gives Will some major competition for glee talent. Will Rachel stick with Cabaret or return to Mr. Schu?

• Tina's "Tonight" was lovely. It's nice to see the other students getting a chance to shine.

[Watch clips and episodes of Glee at SlashControl.]

Ðan

SO Finn gives Quinn his baby blanket which will accompany Quinn's baby to Terri than Finn will notice
his baby blanky with the baby next time he visits Will's house for some reason of course Terri's baby is really Quinn's but the father isn't Finn its Puck a tad soapy
but I love it

September 26 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

Finn is not exactly the smartest tool in the toolshed. "Did you know you can borrow books from the library? All of them, but not the encyclopedias". What does that tell you about him? :)

The episode was a little... different from the other episodes, but it was ok. I would have liked maybe a couple more songs (they had Beyonce's song 3 times?) but I guess Glee Club can't always be practicing new songs. A glee club would probably just have several songs in their repertoire which might get boring to watch...

September 25 2009 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CC's comment
Horse N. Buggy

I'm guessing it had more to do with money that they only featured the one song. The rights to that song can't be cheap, so maybe they blew the whole song rights budget for one episode on that one song. And if that was the case, then I can imagine them saying, "If we paid this much for this song, we're gonna get our money's worth. Let's use it in EVERY scene!" Of course, I also wouldn't put it past Beyonce's team to have a clause stating that an episode featuring her song could not feature a song by any other artist. That's just guess work, but doesn't it sound like something a record label would do?

September 25 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

This episode was the best since the pilot. Liked it a lot. Music was great and the pregnancy sub-plot has potential for great hilarity and deep pathos. How twisted, I love it. Kurt coming out to his dad was a great scene, not the typical "I disown you" crap often associated with this scenario. Glad Glee has a full season to develop, hopefully one season won't be enough.

September 24 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

i think what is really sad about this show is that it has such potential, but the plot lines are so weak and contrived and the musical numbers are so campy that it detracts from what could be comedic genious.

i am glad Tina got more camera time. she is my fav character.

September 24 2009 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sarah's comment
Schwack

Sarah,

I agree with you -- it is sad for this show had potential but the storylines are bringing it down quickly!

I hope they correct this....

September 24 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cherie

If they don't get rid of this awful pregnancy lies story line, I will leave this show. More music, less soap opera.

September 24 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryManSteve

Kendra asking a hysterical Terri if the baby is black... nice Nip/Tuck reference.

September 24 2009 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I loved it because I enjoy it for the lightness of being that it embodies. It is satire and I'm grateful for an hour where I don't need to look for deeper meaning. Who cares if it all makes one suspend disbelief...just enjoy.

September 24 2009 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeRoy

They kill "Pushing Daisies" and put on a show that's a poor regurgitation of "Fame." "Glee" has already "jumped the shark" for me. What weak plots ... the obviously gay kid admits to being gay ... all the male teachers who hang around the staff lounge are talented and start a pro singing group ... the cheerleading coach gets away with absolute crap and eats human flesh ... the fluffy teacher who loves the glee club head has OCD in spades ... and there's a massage therapist who thinks she's the top of the social order and is faking a pregnancy. Who writes this nonsense? It reminds me of the wild plots on the afternoon soaps in the '70s ... with gangsters living in the police chief's basement and other ludicrous notions.

The music is excellent, but it doesn't make up for the writing.

September 24 2009 at 3:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to LeRoy's comment
Gill

Let me introduce you to the concept of comedic parody...

September 24 2009 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

ABC killed Pushing Daisies... not sure of the relevance either way, though.
If you don't like outlandish plots, this probably isn't the show for you.

September 24 2009 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mariah

I'll admit it's a bit of a reach, but it's a pretty common myth that you can get pregnant in a hot tub. Moreover, for all their hormones, high schoolers are idiots when it comes to sex. If they weren't, I don't think we'd have quite as many teen mothers and fathers.
The Terri/Will plotline, however, is completely stupid and needs to end fast. It's only a means to break them up so he can get with Emma. Clearly.

September 24 2009 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bbrown

I must be in the minority because I could not stand this episode. From the start by just having the single ladies song and watching Kurt dance I was lost. I watched most of it but I also spent a good chunk of time watching Law and Order. Trying out as the kicker for the football team is one thing, asking to dance before the kick is another. Between that and the football team dancing it just felt like something I would see in a Disney movie. I like that Kurt has come out but do we need every episode to concentrate on that? Add in the whole baby swap plan and I just don't really know what to expect from the show anymore. It feels like the glee club is more of a side story to the members personal lives than the members personal lives being a side story of the glee club. I'll still watch since I've liked every other episode but this one fell completely flat for me, and I am so tired of hearing that damn Single Ladies song.

September 24 2009 at 2:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply