September 1, 2014

Shows You Should Be Watching: Red Eye

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 23rd 2009 5:00PM
Red Eye
There used to be a lot of TV shows on overnight that were worth watching. I don't mean repeats of sitcoms or dramas that usually air earlier, but original programming geared towards the night owl. There aren't many shows like that anymore, but there's one on Fox News (yes, Fox News) at 3 AM and it's well worth catching (if you're worried about staying up that late, well, that's why God put DVRs on this Earth).

If I had to describe Red Eye it would be like this: it's a mix of Politically Incorrect and The McLaughlin Group, only for people who are up late at night drinking or eating too much junk food, with a host who comes at things from a conservative viewpoint but it's not really a political show. They go more for the jokes than they stress any ideology, and it's actually really funny. Like The Daily Show or The Colbert Report, it can't be easy to write a show that's on every single night, but host Greg Gutfeld pulls it off.

But he's not alone. The show has a wide variety of guests every night, usually three at the desk with Gutfeld and one in another studio, and they manage to get a great mix. You'll often see Fox News anchors like Trace Gallagher, Brian Kilmeade and Juliet Huddy, but you also get guests like comedian Jim Norton, Mad Men's Rich Sommer, Ann Coulter, musician Andrew WK, and writer Diablo Cody. Comic Bill Schulz is the regular panelist, and Andy Levy provides pre-show, halftime, and end of show comments. He's sort of the viewer ombudsman, asking the panelists what they meant regarding something they said earlier and looking up facts and correcting the guests.

It also has a talking New York Times puppet thing that sits on the desk and makes comments, but you really have to watch the show to get it. I can't really describe it here except to say, well, it's a New York Times puppet thing.

(If you haven't seen the show, Hulu has several past episodes.)

dpharmer

cloves the whte pepsin pink pepto and all the other colors like reeeel swwwweeeeeeettttt friut,i broke a tooth on neccos i love them

October 28 2009 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cray

TVsquad should avoid any reviews/opinions of News/pundit shows otherwise you're just going to divide the readership and start a major problem when something posted that is not political gets reviewed and reader takes it as political commentary and accuses TVsquad of political bias.

I don't care if you enjoyed Red Eye, but keep it to yourself.

September 24 2009 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

My previous comment was intended for Rich P and BenW not you Bob. Love you Bob. Keep it up. RedEye is probably my favorite show on Tv I'm so glad you shed a little light on such a genius show.

September 24 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kitsilanoguy

I find it appalling that you would promote this show after they so callously disrespected the brave Canadian soldiers fighting and dying in the war against terror in Afghanistan. Perhaps you didn't hear about this, but it was big news in Canada the day after this episode aired.

Once again, a few Americans manage to reinforce the stereotype of a country filled with arrogant, ignorant self-absorbed people who's knowledge of the world ends at their own borders. The good Americans I know are ashamed of this show's comments.

September 24 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kitsilanoguy's comment
MIke

So one bad comment, waaaa. Don't be such a pansy.

September 24 2009 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RLP

a bunch of snotty people joking about topics of the day having no real point. its not funny to me, lol. It just comes across as arrogant big mouth people who think they are clever and funny... when they are not.

September 23 2009 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett

Top notch show that doesn't take itself too seriously but does talk about big political topics. I know it may be cliche but it is a unique voice for politics on the cable channels.

September 23 2009 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I'm actually surprised that TVSQUAD is mentioning RedEye on here. They must of lost a bet or something since it goes against their left/liberal viewpoint.

"I think a lot of people are going to see that it's on Fox News and say, "oh, that channel? No thanks!" Oh well. Your loss. I find it fair and most of all I find it funny."

Maybe you should come out of that bubble you live in where you and the people you surround yourself with are narrow-minded like that. We are in the new millennium, seriously! Not everybody watches MSNBC.

September 23 2009 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Max's comment
RobynM

Out of all the terms I'd use to describe Bob, "liberal shill" isn't really on the list.

As for myself, I'm perfectly content to continue not watching Fox. Of course, I don't particularly watch MSNBC or CNN either. I've got BBC World News if I've just gotta catch something on TV as opposed to online.

September 23 2009 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wardude

Well its about time, there have only been a few over 600 episodes aired so far and there has been great variety in guests that show up. It all very informal and very strange to see many of the foxnews official announcers show up and say thing they may all regret in a few year when the youtube memory catches up to them.

You will also see the occasional "ab news" segment very nice and very un fox like

September 23 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

That was supposed to be funny? Juvenile, moronic sexual humor? That made Judd Apatow's worst movie look like Shakespeare.

Seriously, my opinion of you has absolutely plummeted. You can't seriously be suggesting that anyone should watch this show for enjoyment?

September 23 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joey Geraci's comment
Max

"any of the personalities on Fox News profess that they are not conservatives, but people need to remember than their contractual agreement with News Corp states that 95% of what comes out of their mouth on air needs to be blatant lies."

You said this about John Stossel moving over to Fox on the 11th. Clearly you don't like this show because of what network it's on. Carry on.

September 23 2009 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

If you like Red Eye be sure to check out Greg Gutfeld's hilarious blog.

September 23 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply