April 21, 2014

Like the Beyonce song in last night's Glee? Me, too!

by Jane Boursaw, posted Sep 24th 2009 9:35AM
Glee football players doing choreography to Beyonce's I'm still digging Glee, and last night's episode was another winner. My favorite scene was the one where the football players did the choreographed number to Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" in the middle of the football field.

Not only was it just a fun dance number, but it broke down several stereotypes all in one shot. Gay guy Kurt gets to be a football hero, the team goes against the grain and risks embarrassment to win the game, and Kurt's dad is proud of him. Of course, the scene later where Kurt told his dad he's gay, and his dad said it's ok, he knew all along -- well, that was special for a lot of other reasons. So far, Kurt is my favorite Glee character, and Glee is shaping up to be my favorite new show this fall.

After the jump, watch the video of the football team, as well as the opening video of Kurt and the girls doing the same number. And they all look like they're having a blast!

[Watch clips and episodes of Glee at SlashControl.]

La-Di-Dah

Loving the way this show rocks the music and the quirk.

September 25 2009 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I have to agree with R-Bro. Glee really isn't very good. Which is sad. The pilot was great. Too bad the show isn't much like the pilot, with the human element getting lost in a wash of wild plot development. Incredibly disappointing.

The scene with the team dancing on the field was horrible. Just awful. It made no sense, and was cheap out. Instead of meaningfully dealing with the idea of Will connecting to the football team, instead of actually making some connection between football and dance, we get a spectacle of utter nonsense. It was the creative equivalent of a fart joke.

September 24 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Steve's comment
Schwack

Steve (and R-Bro)

I'm with you all the way on your review. You are 100% correct.

September 24 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Wow, I love how people thumbs-downed you just because they didn't agree. You wrote a coherent comment that added to the discussion. I haven't seen the show yet myself, but your viewpoint is valid regardless of if one agrees.

September 29 2009 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

With all of the doom and gloom in the world, isn't it nice just to watch a show that is all about having fun. I like the real deep shows just as much as the next person but this show just makes me smile...there isn't that much out there anymore that is simple and good and isn't trying to alienate anybody. Yea sure, it is sweet and good and not very reality-based and some of the people on the show are in serious need of some acting lessons but it is a lot of fun to watch. Maybe some people are just trying to look too much into it...just enjoy for what it is...entertainment.

September 24 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKB

What a great episode ! Kurt and the Beyonce song were great. We laughed so much - and this was pretty timely considering the recent fuss surrounding this video.

September 24 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

All my friends love this show so I watched this - it gave me douche chills. It's very creepy and awkward.

September 24 2009 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caelumluna

This was an amazing episode. I'm impressed how they manage to combine both old and new songs.

September 24 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Mahoney

Surprised that you didn't mention that Mike O'Malley, who played the dad, played a gay character on "My name is Earl".

September 24 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn Roth

If this isn't the DUMBEST show on tv...what the hell...

September 24 2009 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shawn Roth's comment
R-Bro

Couldn't agree more. Last night was the final straw. I cannot *believe* the fuss over this show, which is just one painfully awkward and ridiculous scene after another. It's off the DVR as of now.

September 24 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

That was a good episode. Sure the show is a wee bit predictable and not very deep (at least not yet) but hey, the journey is still fun! The musical numbers are a blast and having the football team do the dance to save the game was hilarious! This show is definitely one of my favorites.

September 24 2009 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rick cokely's comment
R-Bro

Seriously?! I can't remember the last time a scene made me cringe so much. Oh, wait, yes I can--it was watching Kurt do his little pre-kick dance. Ugh...vomiting a little in my mouth just thinking about it.

September 24 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply